Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions

AWE Tuning

Old 09-12-2018, 01:41 PM   #547
JoeCamaro444

Drives: 2018 2SS M6 Hot Wheels Camaro
Just had the flush, fluid change and re-flash done yesterday. 30 miles so far and all is well! Lol Let’s see how long until new converter is needed.
1988 IROC-Z (tons of mods), 1995 Z28, 1998 Z28, 2006 GTO, 2010 Camaro 1SS, 2015 Subaru STI, a couple Acuras and multiple Jeeps.
JoeCamaro444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 10:38 PM   #548
strickerj

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible 8A
I’ve got a 2016 2SS Convertible and have had the issue for a while, but I just thought it was the cylinder deactivation or rough roads until it got really bad, and I started noticing it wasn’t correlated with cylinder deactivation, but rather the torque converter lockup at highway speeds. I took it into my local dealer a couple weeks ago (I've been on vacation since the first of the month so I haven’t driven it since). Now, my dealer is excellent (my wife's parents have been going there for years), but it’s in a small town in pickup truck country, and mine is the only Camaro they service regularly, so they had to contact GM for assistance.

They were told this was a maintenance item and was not covered under the power train warranty. I think that’s BS since the maintenance schedule calls for changing the transmission fluid at 45,000 miles, so for someone to come in with 37,000 miles with rough shifts suggests an issue beyond just needing maintenance. In any event, they said give it 200 miles to fully cycle through, and if the problem returns, bring it back. From the replies on here, I have a hunch the damage was done, and I’ll be needing a TC. Should’ve just gotten the manual transmission...
strickerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 12:00 PM   #549
NJ_LT1

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS Hyper Blue Metallic
2018 1SS A8 Auto

Shaking started around 6,000 miles. I brought it to the dealer, went on a 5 minute test drive, and they replaced the torque converter a week later.

The car drives better than new after the torque converter replacement. Crisper shifts up and down.

GM was unable to confirm whether or not the new torque converter is a revised unit or the same unit that failed from the factory.

Fingers crossed...
NJ_LT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 09:30 PM   #550
jimmypop13

Drives: 2016 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_LT1 View Post
2018 1SS A8 Auto

Shaking started around 6,000 miles. I brought it to the dealer, went on a 5 minute test drive, and they replaced the torque converter a week later.

The car drives better than new after the torque converter replacement. Crisper shifts up and down.

GM was unable to confirm whether or not the new torque converter is a revised unit or the same unit that failed from the factory.

Fingers crossed...
Does your paperwork mention the part number for the converter? I have the part number for my stock converter so we can compare
jimmypop13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 02:44 PM   #551
strickerj

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Convertible 8A
Quote:
Originally Posted by strickerj View Post
I’ve got a 2016 2SS Convertible and have had the issue for a while, but I just thought it was the cylinder deactivation or rough roads until it got really bad, and I started noticing it wasn’t correlated with cylinder deactivation, but rather the torque converter lockup at highway speeds. I took it into my local dealer a couple weeks ago (I've been on vacation since the first of the month so I haven’t driven it since). Now, my dealer is excellent (my wife's parents have been going there for years), but it’s in a small town in pickup truck country, and mine is the only Camaro they service regularly, so they had to contact GM for assistance.

They were told this was a maintenance item and was not covered under the power train warranty. I think that’s BS since the maintenance schedule calls for changing the transmission fluid at 45,000 miles, so for someone to come in with 37,000 miles with rough shifts suggests an issue beyond just needing maintenance. In any event, they said give it 200 miles to fully cycle through, and if the problem returns, bring it back. From the replies on here, I have a hunch the damage was done, and I’ll be needing a TC. Should’ve just gotten the manual transmission...
Well, the problem has returned (last Thursday it was actually worse than ever), so I've got an appointment for this Thursday morning. Still should've just gotten the manual...
strickerj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 03:25 PM   #552
monSSter

Drives: 2017 SS
Just had my fluid changed. Still shaky at time but improved. Dealer says bring it back if it continues after 500 miles
Old 10-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #553
FL Scooter

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
theCATALYST
@sstormtroopr

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
iTrader Rating: 0 reviews

Took my 16 SS A8 in for a TC replacement today. Did the triple flush a handful of months ago, but only kept the shudder away for roughly 4k miles. Just as my dealer was about to install the new TC, they where halted and I was called. I too was told of the fix planned for 1st quarter 2019. Bulletin attached.
Attached Images

GM Darkened Taillights, ZL1 1LE 3rd Brake Light

Check out his post on another part of the transmission forum. My dealer says I have to talk with the shop foreman since the service advisor didn't know what is coming in the 1st quarter of 19 to fix this problem.
FL Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #554
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Took mine in for the shudder and they told me that it was my axle back exhaust. Is this possible?
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:54 AM   #555
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvear0 View Post
Took mine in for the shudder and they told me that it was my axle back exhaust. Is this possible?
Are you confusing NPP exhaust rattle with pulsating transmission shudder? Sounds like your dealership only found exhaust valve rattle and not transmission shake.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 08:17 AM   #556
Gray50
Intentionally left blank.

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Fifty
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Scooter View Post
theCATALYST
@sstormtroopr

Took my 16 SS A8 in for a TC replacement today. Did the triple flush a handful of months ago, but only kept the shudder away for roughly 4k miles. Just as my dealer was about to install the new TC, they where halted and I was called. I too was told of the fix planned for 1st quarter 2019. Bulletin attached.
Attached Images

Check out his post on another part of the transmission forum. My dealer says I have to talk with the shop foreman since the service advisor didn't know what is coming in the 1st quarter of 19 to fix this problem.
Wow. If my shudder comes back and they tell me it's going to be MONTHS before they can fix it, that SOB will be gone and I'll probably never by another GM product...

Name:  15392705897873436626726196976529.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  82.2 KB

I can understand "we have an updated way to fix it coming up," but telling the dealers to NOT fix it in the meantime!?
Old 10-16-2018, 03:33 PM   #557
FL Scooter

Drives: 2021 Camaro 2SS
The dealers have been instructed to flush as needed until the fix comes in 2019 1st quarter.
FL Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 04:21 PM   #558
Calvear0

Drives: Currently Looking for 2019 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxChris View Post
Are you confusing NPP exhaust rattle with pulsating transmission shudder? Sounds like your dealership only found exhaust valve rattle and not transmission shake.
Oh no, it’s absolutely the transmission shudder. The dealer just didn’t want to touch my car because of the aftermarket exhaust. I had to put my factory exhaust back on and it still shudders. Took it in today and they said their trans tech is out because he is injured. That might explain why he didn’t bother dealing with the car last week. So now I have to pick it up and take it elsewhere
Calvear0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 08:44 PM   #559
blpadge2

Drives: 2016 Camaro Convertible 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Scooter View Post
theCATALYST
@sstormtroopr

Attached Images

Took mine in last Wed. with just under 15K on the odo. Service writer next to the noob doing mine said he had done many of these and would probably need flush and drive for 200 mi.

Got email yesterday that they were going straight to TC replacement, but they are on national backorder. Would be at least 1 week before they could get one in.

Seeing this posted, how much you want to bet I get email around Friday saying that they just flushed it and to come and get it with no TC replacement?

Guys, I can't believe there is not one single lawyer on this forum with a shuddering A8 who could not organize a class action suit against GM.
Old 10-23-2018, 01:51 PM   #560
Kaninux

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by blpadge2 View Post
Took mine in last Wed. with just under 15K on the odo. Service writer next to the noob doing mine said he had done many of these and would probably need flush and drive for 200 mi.

Got email yesterday that they were going straight to TC replacement, but they are on national backorder. Would be at least 1 week before they could get one in.

Seeing this posted, how much you want to bet I get email around Friday saying that they just flushed it and to come and get it with no TC replacement?

Guys, I can't believe there is not one single lawyer on this forum with a shuddering A8 who could not organize a class action suit against GM.
I'm sure there are many (including myself) going though the lemon law process after several failed repair attempts.
Kaninux is offline   Reply With Quote