Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Phastek Performance

Old 01-03-2019, 07:16 PM   #1
Braden1

Drives: RED 2016 2SS M6
Here we go.. Another NPP Exhaust One

Okay, here it goes. I have been looking around EVERYWHERE for a long time, and can't find the exact answers that I'm looking for. Just about ready to say screw it and start some trial and error. But that's going to start burning the wallet away slowly.

I have a factory 2016 2SS with factory dual mode exhaust. Yes, it sounds awesome, but it could be a tad louder. I'm looking for the following:

On Stealth mode: I kinda was hoping to have this sound like my current "Track Mode" sounds. Loud enough that it sounds like the car it is, but not so obnoxious that I have to hide from my neighbors every morning.

On Track/Sport mode: This is where I want the car to be absolutely ridiculous. Drone doesn't matter, because I can always throw it into stealth mode on the Highway or what not. But I want it loud. Do I run separate pipes around the resonators/cats? Is it possible?

I just want to know what others have done for this. Has anyone heard any brands/series of mufflers that sound fairly similar to the 'OPEN' factory NPP exhaust? I never us stealth mode now, but I'm sure I would if i had the set up done the way I wanted.

Greatly appreciate any feedback...
Braden1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:17 PM   #2
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
Nothing is going to be louder than qtp cutoffs. The second choice would be qtp mufflers...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 07:48 AM   #3
Umbriel

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Well when you are in track mode you are basically straight piped so it probably won't get much louder than that.
Umbriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #4
DWR

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbriel View Post
Well when you are in track mode you are basically straight piped so it probably won't get much louder than that.
I thought so too but it's apparently a good bit louder even when installed right in front of the muffler (especially noweeds diverters) according to a few users on here.
2007 Toyota Corolla S -- Traded
2007 Colorado I-5 3.7L z85 2wd ext. cab --Totaled
2004 Silverado single cab 4.8l v-8 2wd -- Traded
2018 Camaro SS 1LE -- Current DD
DWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:19 AM   #5
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
People love stating that track mode is ”basically” straight piped, no it's not. Not even close to it. I am convinced that the people who say that have never heard a straight piped LT1 or a muffler delete.

In track mode, the valves still close. Also in track mode, the sound partially passes through one of the muffler chambers thereby quieting it.

If you want loud with an option QTP cutouts with the wireless transmitter are a great choice. You can still use your drive mode selector as you usually would and open the cutouts fully or close them partially. It's a muffler delete on demand, sounds great and won't break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:45 AM   #6
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
I thought so too but it's apparently a good bit louder even when installed right in front of the muffler (especially noweeds diverters) according to a few users on here.
Maybe because it is under the car and bouncing off of the ground? The valves in track mode still open and close when it is warmed up depending on how you are driving but I don't know he details about it. I personally don't like the NPP and bought an AWE cat back.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:48 AM   #7
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko04 View Post
People love stating that track mode is ”basically” straight piped, no it's not. Not even close to it. I am convinced that the people who say that have never heard a straight piped LT1 or a muffler delete.

In track mode, the valves still close. Also in track mode, the sound partially passes through one of the muffler chambers thereby quieting it.

If you want loud with an option QTP cutouts with the wireless transmitter are a great choice. You can still use your drive mode selector as you usually would and open the cutouts fully or close them partially. It's a muffler delete on demand, sounds great and won't break the bank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was referring to WOT when I referenced that.
Old 01-04-2019, 08:49 AM   #8
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
there is a difference in sound between fuse-pulled track mode and muffler delete. if you think there isn't, you've not heard it.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
there is a difference in sound between fuse-pulled track mode and muffler delete. if you think there isn't, you've not heard it.
I have heard it because I did it on mine and then put it back in the ext day because it sounded like shit. The valves do close some in track mode depending on driving conditions but on cold start up and WOT they are open and it sounds terrible.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:05 AM   #10
crosive

Quote:
I have heard it because I did it on mine and then put it back in the ext day because it sounded like shit. The valves do close some in track mode depending on driving conditions but on cold start up and WOT they are open and it sounds terrible.
not if you pull the fuse
Old 01-04-2019, 09:14 AM   #11
Umbriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosive View Post
not if you pull the fuse
I pulled it on mine and hated it so I put it back in. I also don't think the valves are fully open with the fuse pulled, it sounded more like maybe halfway or something to me. I could be wrong though like i said I only had it like that for a day.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #12
crosive

Unless there is physically something wrong with yours, the springs force them open all the way when no power is present.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:44 AM   #13
NeverDie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
It's true, you are basically straight piped at that point....

...except for the cats, secondary cats, resonator, mufflers, etc.
NeverDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:45 AM   #14
ALLGM6

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
My Camaro doesn’t have NPP, so I bought an AWE Touring kit, which I haven’t installed, but based on videos, seems to be about like the NPP track mode from what I can tell.

More relavent to your question, I have a C7 Z51 with NPP. On my Vette, I put the Flowmaster Outlaw system, designed to work with NPP (it was expensive at 2k). But it achieves exactly what I think you’re looking for. Stealth mode is now close to factory track mode and track mode is a good bit louder than anything the stock NPP put out. It’s also a bit deeper of a tone. I think it’s great and love the system on my Vette. You might check to see what systems Flowmaster has for the Camaro NPP. Outlaw is their loudest system. American Thunder is more mellow.
ALLGM6 is offline   Reply With Quote