Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-01-2019, 08:53 PM   #1
Ren Lacerda

Drives: 2017 2SS M6 FIFTY
Unhappy Summer tires at the Track in VA

Will I be okay ok with my 2017 SS M6 stock summer tires (Goodyear F1) in a time trial event at a race track this Sunday?

This Sunday I have a Track Cross event, where we will run the most technical and curvy part of the track, in a solo time trial mode. Forecast says temps at the track will be 35F at the time of my first heat at 9am, warming up to 43F at 10 and 48F at 11am. I am mostly concerned with the first runs around 9am.

I lapped this track before, but in the Summer with a 2.0 Turbo RS. This will be my first time with the V8 SS at this track and cold weather.

What tips can you guys can give me to be safe, but competitive with these tires in these circumstances?
Ren Lacerda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 09:08 PM   #2
Provoste

Drives: E46 S54 race car, 964C2
Yeah, you’ll be fine. Your stock tires will be better in these temps than more “track focused” tires. Just be cognizant that your tires will be slippy at the start, drive as you would normally, but be prepared for both oversteer (rear sliding) and understeer (front pushing/sliding). Everyone else out there is dealing with the exact same conditions, so don’t overthink it too much. If it’s sunny, you’ll be golden after your first run, mid-upper 40’s are ideal track conditions for best times.
Provoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2019, 10:08 PM   #3
Ren Lacerda

Thanks. What pressure do you recommend for track on these tires on the SS?
Old 11-02-2019, 06:53 AM   #4
juice3

Drives: 19 ZLE A10,17 SS 1LE, 16 C7R,CT5V
Talk to the local guys at the Trackcross. Ask about pressures. Find the fast guys and as em what they are doing. You'll see guys on slicks at some of these events. You just gotta know how to get some heat in them.
juice3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:49 PM   #5
Ren Lacerda

Thanks Juice. I am familiar with the practice of socializing in motorsports events. My question is for the folks here, that have similar vehicles and possibly already ran SS OEMs F1 3Rs in cold weather. At the events we rarely find folks with same or similar car-tires setup.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:35 AM   #6
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
There is a hell of a difference between "stock SS tires" (your first post) and "3Rs" (your last post). The latter are not stock SS tires, and not even stock SS 1LE tires....but stock ZL1 1LE tires (which by all accounts are equal to DOT slicks).

So...which tires do you have?
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 04:43 PM   #7
Ren Lacerda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
There is a hell of a difference between "stock SS tires" (your first post) and "3Rs" (your last post). The latter are not stock SS tires, and not even stock SS 1LE tires....but stock ZL1 1LE tires (which by all accounts are equal to DOT slicks).

So...which tires do you have?
https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...ymmetric-3-rof

I ran 33 PSI cold (37F ext temp at first lap), it warmed up in two laps to 37 PSI, ran decently.

My first time on a track, so have no comparison point. Probably not optimal, but as there was no pyrometer available to borrow, all other Camaros on the track were 5th gen with different tires modded suspensions, that's the best I could do. It was fun, drove over 100MPH, I learned a lot, tracks are a blast, so a win and great day after all.

BTW, my impression was that ZL1s come with the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Supercar, not the F1 Asymmetric 3R(of).

Last edited by Ren Lacerda; 11-04-2019 at 04:53 PM.
Old 11-04-2019, 04:56 PM   #8
TRZ06

Drives: 22' Porsche PDK GT4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Lacerda View Post

I ran 33 PSI cold (37F ext temp at first lap), it warmed up in two laps to 37 PSI, ran decently.

My first time on a track, so have no comparison point. Probably not optimal, but as there was no pyrometer available to borrow, all other Camaros on the track were 5th gen with different tires modded suspensions, that's the best I could do. It was fun, drove over 100MPH, I learned a lot, tracks are a blast, so a win and great day after all.

BTW, my impression was that ZL1s come with the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric Supercar, not the F1 Asymmetric 3R(of).
ZL1 and SS 1LE come with Goodyear F1 Supercar 3, made specifically for said trims.

Previous:
18' NFG 2SS 1LE (ZL1 1LE solid rear cradle bushings & Corsa Exhaust)
16' F80 M3 (Ohlin R/T Coilovers)
13' Audi TTRS (APR Stage 1, MSS Springs)
09' C6 Z06
08' E90 M3
06' 335i (KW V2 Coilovers)
03' C5 Z06
TRZ06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #9
Ren Lacerda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRZ06 View Post
ZL1 and SS 1LE come with Goodyear F1 Supercar 3, made specifically for said trims.
Right, Supercar 3s are not Asymmetric 3Rs. SS OEMs are Goodyear F1 Asymetric 3Rof, hence I said I'm running F1 3Rs. We're talking same things.
Old 11-04-2019, 08:18 PM   #10
TrackClub

Quote:

Glad you had fun! That's what this is all about
Running hot temps at 35-37psi is the sweet spot.

Now be careful how you abbreviate your tire name:
Yours are 3ROF (run on flat). What folks call 3R here is a tire that ZL1 1LE comes with and they are extremely close to DOT slicks race tires. Full name is Supercar 3R.
SS 1le and Zl1 comes with Supercar 3 (aka S3 or G3) which is a dual purpose track and street tire (with more emphasis on track duty).

Cheers!
Old 11-05-2019, 12:18 PM   #11
Ren Lacerda

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Glad you had fun! That's what this is all about
Running hot temps at 35-37psi is the sweet spot.

Now be careful how you abbreviate your tire name:
Yours are 3ROF (run on flat). What folks call 3R here is a tire that ZL1 1LE comes with and they are extremely close to DOT slicks race tires. Full name is Supercar 3R.
SS 1le and Zl1 comes with Supercar 3 (aka S3 or G3) which is a dual purpose track and street tire (with more emphasis on track duty).

Cheers!
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 11-06-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
TrackClub

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification!

Tags
summer tires, track driving, v8 ss