#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 08-03-2020, 05:44 PM   #1
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Engine Health Readings in Cosworth ToolBox

Hey guys,

I was at NCM Motorsports Park on the 18th/19th (Temps in the high 90's) and saw the following Max readings. In your mind are there any concerns here?

Max Water Temp 225
Max Oil pressure 68
Max Oil Temp 277
Max Trans Oil Temp 219
Old 08-03-2020, 07:55 PM   #2
chevroletman

Drives: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
I wouldn't be concerned. My 19 ZLE is at the dealer now because I was at high plains raceway and saw coolant temps as high as 260 and oil temp spiked to 302!! Track temps were in the high 80's

I checked temps from my 17 ZL1 and coolant was always in the high 210's and oil temps were 275. Dealer has been in contact with GM engineering for the past week with no ideas yet on issue

On a side note: dealer connot pull up the temps I saw with Cosworth toolbox I have to bring my laptop and show them proof!
chevroletman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:34 PM   #3
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Ive read - a while ago - that gen5 readings were not actuals, but rather computer arrived, based on a whole bunch of parms. Why, i have no clue, but it was a mag review of an SS 1LE as far as i recall and it ran high.
They spoke to GM and installed an actual gauge, which read normal temps, much lower than computer generated (I think it was for oil temps). I suspect gen6 follows the same computer based methodology?
Just an fyi, that there might be more at play here.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:04 PM   #4
Mountain

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2016 1SS (previous)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
Ive read - a while ago - that gen5 readings were not actuals, but rather computer arrived, based on a whole bunch of parms. Why, i have no clue, but it was a mag review of an SS 1LE as far as i recall and it ran high.
They spoke to GM and installed an actual gauge, which read normal temps, much lower than computer generated (I think it was for oil temps). I suspect gen6 follows the same computer based methodology?
Gen6 has an actual temp sensor. It’s on the oil cooler block/sandwich.

All I’ll say is this: if you’re going to let your car run into the 270’s, you better have good oil in there (regardless of Dexos2). “Good oil” meaning thicker 40 or even 50 weight and something with good zinc/phosphate.
Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 11:20 PM   #5
Tim M

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
I believe it was Grassroots Motorsports magazine.
Old 08-03-2020, 11:39 PM   #6
samr350

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
For a ZL1 those are pretty normal, nothing to worry about.
samr350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:07 AM   #7
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim M View Post
I believe it was Grassroots Motorsports magazine.
Yes indeed! Looks like my memory needs a bit of help these days
Old 08-04-2020, 06:10 AM   #8
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Gen6 has an actual temp sensor. It’s on the oil cooler block/sandwich.

All I’ll say is this: if you’re going to let your car run into the 270’s, you better have good oil in there (regardless of Dexos2). “Good oil” meaning thicker 40 or even 50 weight and something with good zinc/phosphate.
Good to know about the sensor - thanks!
I'd say 230 coolant and 300 oil would be absolute max - as in time for an immediate cool down lap and head scratching as to what the problem is. And I'd agree, running close to those temps on consistant basis may be problematic longer term. Having said that, it might appear like ZL1s run hotter out of the box...
Old 08-04-2020, 07:25 PM   #9
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
those temp readings are very reasonable...no worries at all. On a tight circuit, I have seen 235 water, 290 oil, and 230 transmission on the tenth lap at 94 degrees ambient.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #10
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain View Post
Gen6 has an actual temp sensor. It’s on the oil cooler block/sandwich..
Are you sure about that?
This is very interesting thread as I was at the track and I was seeing 297 and this is after installing and improved racing external oil cooler. I called in today cuz I was concerned that my oil temperatures were so high after doing this modification and he did tell me that the 5th gen Camaros have a virtual oil temp sensor and he was unsure if the 6th gen we're the same way. When I physically removed my OEM oil heat exchanger there was no Provisions for a sensor to be screwed into it
Attached Images

NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 09:14 AM   #11
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyRacerBoy View Post
Are you sure about that?
This is very interesting thread as I was at the track and I was seeing 297 and this is after installing and improved racing external oil cooler. I called in today cuz I was concerned that my oil temperatures were so high after doing this modification and he did tell me that the 5th gen Camaros have a virtual oil temp sensor and he was unsure if the 6th gen we're the same way. When I physically removed my OEM oil heat exchanger there was no Provisions for a sensor to be screwed into it
It would seem counter intuitive for GM to change how they measure temps gen5 vs 6, but who knows.
Interested to see what the confirmed answer is.

As far as temps..."seeing" 230 coolant and 290 oil without grenading anything, doesn't necessarily mean all is peachy

A fairly recent oil heat study (my layman terms here as the paper i ran across was tre scientific!) suggests a full synthetic oil (generically) starts to lose viscosity and Total Base qualities at 300. It doesn't happen immediately, but over 24hrs both are about halved (approx). Some (unrelated) charts suggest synthetic can withstand constant duty at over 300, but details are scarce in terms of how much over and for how long. All oils use 300F to measure High Temp High Shear rating, suggesting this is the highest they expect it to go (my interpretation here).

One thing seems certain to me, no oil will maintain its original specs forever, especially if it is exposed to very high temps on fairly consistent basis. The question is how long before a motor starts being affected. Needless to say, changing it often seems like a good idea to me.
Old 08-05-2020, 04:27 PM   #12
Heartbreaker

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL-1 1LE
Quote:
It would seem counter intuitive for GM to change how they measure temps gen5 vs 6, but who knows.

As far as temps..."seeing" 230 coolant and 290 oil without grenading anything, doesn't necessarily mean all is peachy

A fairly recent oil heat study (my layman terms here as the paper i ran across was tre scientific!) suggests a full synthetic oil (generically) starts to lose viscosity and Total Base qualities at 300. It doesn't happen immediately, but over 24hrs both are about halved (approx). Some (unrelated) charts suggest synthetic can withstand constant duty at over 300, but details are scarce in terms of how much over and for how long. All oils use 300F to measure High Temp High Shear rating, suggesting this is the highest they expect it to go (my interpretation here).

One thing seems certain to me, no oil will maintain its original specs forever, especially if it is exposed to very high temps on fairly consistent basis. The question is how long before a motor starts being affected. Needless to say, changing it often seems like a good idea to me.
Thanks for the thoughtful response. So for the engine, trans and diff every 15 hours of track time?
Old 08-05-2020, 07:27 PM   #13
TrackClub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heartbreaker View Post
Thanks for the thoughtful response. So for the engine, trans and diff every 15 hours of track time?
That's about what i do. Every 4 to 5 (max) days, as sometimes my schedule ends up being 2 and then 3 day events. This may be a bit early for tranny (GM calls for every 24hrs, so 6 days), but I'd rather be early vs late.
24hrs also seems a bit long for the diff, given the state of the fluid, even at shorter change intervals.

At one point (one year only), the owner's manual called for oil change every 8 hrs (if i recall it correctly), but given some folks had reported pretty good oil analysis after 6 days, i think that was overkill. Of course much depends on how hard one pushes, as well as ambient.

Cheers!
Old 08-05-2020, 08:38 PM   #14
NickyRacerBoy

Drives: 1LE
Quote:

Does anyone here have wiring pinout for ecu?
If there truly is a oil temp sensor it would be there. Talking to my mechanic buddy today and he told me that the oil pressure sensor is a 3-wire why would it have three wires if it was only oil pressure? Wouldn't it be a two-wire if it was oil pressure.
NickyRacerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote