Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 02-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #1
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
V6 headers ? Not!

It's been a while since i've looked at V6's. My last two cars were V8 camaros from the 3rd and 4th gens. But these pictures seem to indicate that GM has tossed the exhaust manifold as a bolt on piece to the V6 and it looks like that's built into the block and all you get to bolt on is the collector back.

First time i've seen something like this. On the plus side, i guess it cuts down on the decision to ditch manifolds for headers since you dont really get to choose.

Definitely makes wrapping easy if you decide to go that route (if i did, i'd paint with high temp paint first to avoid rust)
Attached Images

cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 09:32 AM   #2
whiteboyblues2001

Drives: 1SS, A8, MRC, NPP, Blade Spoiler
Yes, the manifold is now built into the head. Some folks are calling it a "headifold". Chevy went this route with the LFX engine in the 5th Gen Camaro. As soon as I saw it, I said "man, you can bolt the turbo right to the head!".

That is exactly what GM did with the current ATS-V's (and other engines) LF4. The turbo bolts directly to the head and block. Oil and coolant can flow from the block to the turbos. Pretty cools setup, but you won't be able to install headers.
whiteboyblues2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 10:47 AM   #3
HumanWiki

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyblues2001 View Post
Yes, the manifold is now built into the head. Some folks are calling it a "headifold". Chevy went this route with the LFX engine in the 5th Gen Camaro. As soon as I saw it, I said "man, you can bolt the turbo right to the head!".

That is exactly what GM did with the current ATS-V's (and other engines) LF4. The turbo bolts directly to the head and block. Oil and coolant can flow from the block to the turbos. Pretty cools setup, but you won't be able to install headers.

Yup... Not a new thing and many have looked at it with the O.O look of "wow, turbos like right to the head"

If it works, I'd be totally fine w/ not needing to worry about the cost of headers to improve performance.
HumanWiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 11:54 AM   #4
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Yea, should make turbo kits pretty simple, probably simpler than a supercharger kit (though you'd need two turbos).

Yet they'll probably still cost over 5k for the kits. Funny how the price for superchargers/turbos have stayed roughly the same in the past 10 years. I guess the tech improves at exactly the same rate as cost.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote