Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 12-18-2015, 12:31 PM   #1
Joruiz

Drives: 2016 Grnt Red 1LT M6 Camaro RS NPP
Dual Mode Exhaust vs After Market Exhaust for V6

Hey guys just wanted to have some output and thoughts on this. I am about to pull the trigger on a V6 Manual w/ RS Package and my local dealership has 2 exactly the same way I built them on my sheet but one with NPP Exhaust and the other one doesn't. Which comes to my original question since I am really debating on this, I know that NPP Exhaust is well worth the $895 price tag but are there any other after market exhaust that compare to NPP for the price. I would really like to hear some thoughts on this. Thanks in advance guys.

P.S - This will be my first Camaro and I am just so stoked.
Joruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:44 PM   #2
Techn9cian805
The BEAST

Drives: '16 2SS, '89 Wife
you'll be happy either way, I've seen video of the v6 npp and it sound really good. I hear kooks is working on a system for the npp, but that might be for the v8 only, don't quote me on that tho, I may be wrong.

and eventually there will be some good aftermarket replacements for the basic stock exhaust.

but.. the stock npp is not all that loud compared to what aftermarket systems can be. whats more important, a drone free system that you can control, or a roaring aftermarket exhaust with possible drone that stays loud at all times?
Techn9cian805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
laborsmith

Drives: 1969 Corvair, 2018 Camaro T4 RS
There are aftermarket electronically controlled exhaust cut outs and some are about half the NPP MSRP. The NoWeeds version is about the price of NPP and is more robustly engineered than its competitors. I would go with NPP if I knew I would be keeping the oem exhaust.

Laborsmith
laborsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #4
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Without going into details...lets just say I did a LOT of research into V6 exhaust when I had my 5th gen. I put together the V6 exhaust sticky which has dozens of different exhaust setups.

My thoughts...if you really like the sound of the NPP exhaust...just get it. If you haven't really heard it well yet, by all means, go test drive the one with NPP and do some good revs.

The V6 lost the ability to add aftermarket headers in 2012 with the introduction of the LFX V6. The LGX is similar in that it includes integrated manifolds instead of headers. I've heard many good aftermarket setups for the LFX, but none were as mean as an LLT (2010 and 2011 models) with headers and a good exhaust setup to tame down the rasp.

The LGX with NPP sounds like they were able to recapture some of that "growl" that the LLT had. That's why I like it. Also...it is tunable which is pretty damn sweet, and not something you'll likely find with many, if any aftermarket V6 exhausts (I've read of one or two V8 aftermarket kits that were supposed to work with the older style NPP on the 5th gen).

If you don't like the tone of the NPP over the regular setup, or want to attempt to create a different sound, by all means, go with the standard setup and have fun. But without doing the research, it won't be easy.

and just a general note to all, all good as the V6 sounds (and at certain rpm ranges, some may even mistake it for the big brother V8) but it will never sound like a V8 in the mid and upper rpms.

Good luck!
Old 12-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #5
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
As a guy who really didn't care much when he was buying the car, I now love the NPP in my Gen5 V6. The thing sounds truly awesome out on the road. I seriously cannot resist gunning it going through underpasses. (VOOOOOOMMMM!!!! it echoooossss... )

The only thing I wish I could do is control the opening and closing of the baffles. There are times when I'd really like to quiet down and change lanes without someone thinking I'm showing off, and there are times when I wish I could lock the thing open and just ROAR.

Interestingly, both are somewhat possible based on your throttle application. If you carefully control the throttle the NPP will never open up despite a good application of power. Similarly, if you carefully hold a low throttle after a hard push the NPP will stay open.

Never the less, I would much prefer direct control over the feature.

And that is where I think the biggest value of the 2016 NPP comes in. Since the exhaust is integrated into the car's systems, you can easily control the system to behave as you wish. I doubt there are any aftermarket solutions that would provide both the control functionality AND integrate it directly into the car's control systems.

Of course, if you just want an open pipe don't bother with the NPP system. I'm sure you can do a straight exhaust swap a lot easier and cheaper.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:01 PM   #6
ChocoTaco369
145lb Powerlifter

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by V6CamaroRS View Post
The only thing I wish I could do is control the opening and closing of the baffles. There are times when I'd really like to quiet down and change lanes without someone thinking I'm showing off, and there are times when I wish I could lock the thing open and just ROAR.

Interestingly, both are somewhat possible based on your throttle application. If you carefully control the throttle the NPP will never open up despite a good application of power. Similarly, if you carefully hold a low throttle after a hard push the NPP will stay open.em. I'm sure you can do a straight exhaust swap a lot easier and cheaper.
You can. This works through the top-mounted garage door buttons. Takes 15 mins to install.

http://www.apex-speed.com/mild2wild.html
Old 12-18-2015, 01:02 PM   #7
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
GM perf exhaust for the new v6- non NPP model, no prices or details yet

Perf exhaust
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #8
ceoofawesomeness101

Drives: Dont have one yet
https://youtu.be/Qrs0oa-XIV4

Doubt many aftermarket tuners will focus on the v6 (could be wrong) but this sounds so <insert curse word here-ing> good that I would get the NPP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ceoofawesomeness101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Omar1

Drives: 2016 2SS Red Hot

Here is video of one on a 2015 Camaro that I thought was great.

Personally, I don't really like over the top, super loud exhaust from some after-market ones. So I think NPP is perfect for my taste. Only other mod I'd consider doing after the warranty expires is a CAI. I know it doesn't add much performance-wise but it sounds beautiful.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
V6CamaroRS

Drives: '14 V6 RS, DM Exhaust, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
You can. This works through the top-mounted garage door buttons. Takes 15 mins to install.

http://www.apex-speed.com/mild2wild.html
Thanks for the link! Looks like a pretty cool product.

Alas, I'll still be jealous of the 2016 guys with their fancy stealth modes and track modes and fancy 8 speeds and rev matching and Apple Car Play and flashy colored lights...

My interior strip lighting is an awesome blue at least...
Old 12-18-2015, 11:58 PM   #11
Camarofanboy13

Drives: 2016 camaro
I did not get the NPP. I will later try out the performance exhaust that GM will sell later as aftermarket and won't affect the warranty.
The roster of 2016 Camaro performance parts includes:

Performance exhaust – Kits will be available late this year for Camaro SS with the LT1 V-8 and Camaro LT with the 3.6L V-6. These axle-back systems enhance the performance sound of the Camaro and offer a premium appearance. Each is a direct replacement for the factory system and maintains the vehicle’s factory warranty. The kits are not compatible with the available dual-mode exhaust system.
Camarofanboy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
Joruiz

Drives: 2016 Grnt Red 1LT M6 Camaro RS NPP
Thanks guys.... I still haven't pulled the trigger on it. I did however test drove both V6 non NPP and V6 w/NPP and I just can't get the NPP sound out of my head. I think I have madr my decidsion. )))
Joruiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:09 PM   #13
EE7

Drives: New
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joruiz View Post
Thanks guys.... I still haven't pulled the trigger on it. I did however test drove both V6 non NPP and V6 w/NPP and I just can't get the NPP sound out of my head. I think I have madr my decidsion. )))
I would say definitely get the npp. I cannot believe how amazing it sounds. So much better than my gen 5 with npp.
EE7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 06:13 PM   #14
GTIanZ28

Drives: 2016 V6 RS Camaro 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by EE7 View Post
I would say definitely get the npp. I cannot believe how amazing it sounds. So much better than my gen 5 with npp.
I pushed my car a little harder today. Still didn't quite go full throttle but I pushed it up to 5000 RPM's.

The NPP exhaust really starts coming to life up above 4000 RPM's. I can't wait to hit 1500 miles to see what it sounds like when approaching redline.