Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V6 LGX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-18-2015, 08:01 PM   #1
ceoofawesomeness101

Drives: Dont have one yet
Best Mods for V6

I know there are a couple of threads somewhat like this but I thought it would be awesome to get it all in one. What do you think will be the best mods for the v6/what do you think manufacturers/tuners should make for the v6?
ceoofawesomeness101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 09:45 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
You need to keep in mind that the aftermarket for this V6 are pretty much non-existent. There are likely zero mods available at this point (except of course basic exhaust mods such as resonators and mufflers)

We were in this same boat back in 2009 when the 2010 Camaro V6 came out. It was a slow ramp up before a good bunch of mods were available, but even then, its nothing like the available V8 mods.

That said, there is a member here already at work on possibly offering a ported intake manifold (see http://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427991) which could prove for some nice gains like it did on the LFX.

Anyways...here is the mod list I think you V6 guys should be looking for:

Basics:
- Air intake (these will come rather soon)
- Exhausts (I'd just stick with the factory NPP, but otherwise there is a lot of custom muffler choices. Catbacks designed for the V6 shouldn't take too long to come out)
- Tunes

I think with just an intake and a tune, these cars could potentially see 350+ crank HP. Exhaust isn't going to add much if any power.

Down the road:
- Ported intake manifold - (see my link above...heck this might be the first thing available for you guys, but it usually isn't the first mod someone will do)
- Ported throttle body
- Throttle controller
- High flow cats
- Larger pulley
- Intake manifold spacer

With all the full bolt ons, and a good tune to take advantage of the mods, I really think these V6s could be capable of between 360 - 370 crank hp. Now that would be awesome!

I'm looking forward to seeing stock V6 on a dyno
Old 12-23-2015, 08:56 PM   #3
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
I'm still working on the ported intake thing. You're right KMP, there's a chance it may be the first thing available. I'm still having a hard time ordering stock v6 parts for test pieces, so I imagine others are too, but the system is started to open up for v8 parts finally. There are 2 v8 cars headed to my local dealership that should be arriving by the end of the month I'm told.

I will be offering a CNC ported v6 and v8 throttle body... 3 v8 throttle bodies showed up today. Unfortunately there still doesn't seem to be a v6 TB p/n in the system available to order.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:23 PM   #4
BrianInJackson

Drives: toyota mr2
Kind of off topic but if power adders are hard to come by at this point, work on other stuff. Shorter gears? Haven't looked into ratios for the V6.. not sure if it would help. Not that the V6 is underpowered, but my current car is... and my fix was to focus on handling and bigger sticky tires. You don't need as much horsepower if you never slow down. Good luck all.
BrianInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
132SSLE

Drives: 2016 1LT Hyper Blue RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@JacFab View Post
I'm still working on the ported intake thing. You're right KMP, there's a chance it may be the first thing available. I'm still having a hard time ordering stock v6 parts for test pieces, so I imagine others are too, but the system is started to open up for v8 parts finally. There are 2 v8 cars headed to my local dealership that should be arriving by the end of the month I'm told.

I will be offering a CNC ported v6 and v8 throttle body... 3 v8 throttle bodies showed up today. Unfortunately there still doesn't seem to be a v6 TB p/n in the system available to order.

Im so excited for you to start selling your stuff for the V6!
132SSLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 10:41 PM   #6
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
ported throttle bodies only seemed to add 3-4hp with the 5th gen dyno tests done.

I'm definitely more interested in an ingen power flow cai as that was dyno tested among a number of competing cai's and was consistently the best.

Seems like a basic tune with just cai would net you maybe 5-6hp on top of the cai's stock gains. At least if you believe the tuner's claims.
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellsafemode View Post
ported throttle bodies only seemed to add 3-4hp with the 5th gen dyno tests done.

I'm definitely more interested in an ingen power flow cai as that was dyno tested among a number of competing cai's and was consistently the best.

Seems like a basic tune with just cai would net you maybe 5-6hp on top of the cai's stock gains. At least if you believe the tuner's claims.
In the case for V6s, ported throttle bodies aid in throttle response and should be bought mostly for that, rather than peak HP gains, which as you said, are very minor. In that respect, they are still worth it.