Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 11-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #1
Kmeleon

Drives: 2018 NFG 2SS 1LE!
Xpel ultimate pff vs Zl1 addons deluxe rock guards?

My car is scheduled to go in for an XPEL wrap in December but I know a few people here have said that even with the rocker kit wrap the tires will still throw stones as high as above the rear wheels at times and damage unprotected areas. I cannot afford to wrap the entire car. . So I'm debating on just doing a full front end wrap including the matte hood and then going with the ZL1 add on deluxe rock guards for the front and rear instead of the rocker wrap

Give me some advice please. Guys with the wrap.... Are you seeing any type of damage to the wrap after adding it? Would you do it again or go with rockguards?

Thanks.
Kmeleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:08 AM   #2
Chris C 1SS 1LE

Drives: 2017 1LE
Rock guards on the way. Should have been first thing I did

Have two small chips on passenger quarter, above rear wheel. Only 7.5 K miles...
Old 11-12-2018, 07:10 AM   #3
artey34

Drives: 2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE - Hyper Blue
I had while front clip, hood, rockers and are around rear wheels wrapped in xpel. I also added the deluxe rock guards. If running stock tires then 100% use both. My wrap around the rear wheels is pretty beat up after 3,000 miles. Definitely something I will need to replace every other year it so. The rock guards keep the stone marke low on the wrap
artey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 07:13 AM   #4
50MileSmile

Drives: 2023 2SS, 2018 1SS 1LE, 1993 Z/28
You really need to do both. Remember, if the Xpel is damaged, it will be replaced under warranty for 7 years. This is my fifth car with Xpel on the the critical areas; I’ll never own another new car without it, and I’ve always gotten the money I spent on it back at trade-in time.
50MileSmile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #5
ZapperZ

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE 2022 GMC AT4 HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by 50MileSmile View Post
You really need to do both. Remember, if the Xpel is damaged, it will be replaced under warranty for 7 years. This is my fifth car with Xpel on the the critical areas; I’ll never own another new car without it, and I’ve always gotten the money I spent on it back at trade-in time.
+1
ZapperZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 AM   #6
camaroJD

Drives: 2019 Satin Steel 1SS 1LE w/ PDR
Are the ZL1 Addons deluxe the way to go? Are there any better or equal alternatives? ZL1 Addons prices always seem ridiculous to me.
camaroJD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 10:53 AM   #7
Whitespeed

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE & 1973 Datsun 240Z
I got both the ZL1A rock guards and XPEL on the rockers as soon as I picked up the car. From my experience, the rock guards don't go low enough, because the XPEL in front of the rear wheels still got lots of divots. I added RPI Designs side skirts later on, and they definitely cut down on the crap that gets flung up on to the rockers. I wish I had done those sooner.
Whitespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 11:12 AM   #8
Boost Creep

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Rock guards and Xpel.
Rock guards don't block it all, and the Xpel will need all the help it can get.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:10 PM   #9
Kmeleon

Ok, thanks guys! I'll do both.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #10
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
I did both.

I'd remove the factory PPF from in front of the rear wheel and do the entire area + the panel above to the top of the rear wheel well.

Also the door to the crease, the rear edge of the door, and the rockers since we don't have side skirts to protect that area either.

And the front of the roof, A-pillars, entire hood with matte PPF, front bumper and front of fenders, between the trunk and the license plate, and the area the license plate covers + 1". So, about half the car, lol...

I did most of it myself, still have the hood and A-pillars left to do. Total cost will be ~$600 in film and 4 days of labor. Probably ~$2k+ installed. It'll cost you one way or another but with today's soft paint and depending on how/where you drive it, it's a necessity to prevent your car from looking like it was sandblasted.
DaveC113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #11
Kmeleon

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I did both.

I'd remove the factory PPF from in front of the rear wheel and do the entire area + the panel above to the top of the rear wheel well.

Also the door to the crease, the rear edge of the door, and the rockers since we don't have side skirts to protect that area either.

And the front of the roof, A-pillars, entire hood with matte PPF, front bumper and front of fenders, between the trunk and the license plate, and the area the license plate covers + 1". So, about half the car, lol...

I did most of it myself, still have the hood and A-pillars left to do. Total cost will be ~$600 in film and 4 days of labor. Probably ~$2k+ installed. It'll cost you one way or another but with today's soft paint and depending on how/where you drive it, it's a necessity to prevent your car from looking like it was sandblasted.

LOL, what you're talking about might be $600 in materials but would probably be closer to $4k installedand I'm not much of an artist, which is what I believe guys that install this stuff are. I don't really feel like learning to DIY something like this, I'll lose my patience for sure. I'm already at $2500 for the complete front end, hood, mirrors, door handle cups, and rocker kit. I thought that seemed high, but then I called 3 other places in the area and they were all the same or more ($3k). My wife was like "holy crap" when I told her the price....but she's like the car is gorgeous, just get it done
Old 11-12-2018, 02:12 PM   #12
Goldfish

Drives: 18 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
Are the ZL1 Addons deluxe the way to go? Are there any better or equal alternatives? ZL1 Addons prices always seem ridiculous to me.
I personally went with the ACS over the ZL1 addons because I didn't like how they seemed crazy expensive for a sheet of plastic that sticks on. The ACS version has more shape to it, and "nests" into the body panels a bit, plus you can get them in 1LE satin black. However, if you think the ZL1 prices are high, you won't like the ACS price...
Goldfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:32 PM   #13
Demon War Horse
War Horse Pilot

Drives: 2017 NFG 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroJD View Post
These are the way to go.

SigPic by Hazman
Demon War Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 08:41 PM   #14
wjones14

Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC113 View Post
I did both.

I suppose in theory the more PPF the better.

I just replaced the factory PPF in front of the rear wheels with pieces that extended all the way up to the panel seam. After 8 months and 2600 mostly non-highway miles, both PPF pieces already have marks that would otherwise be paint chips. I also installed the GM OEM pre-painted molded splash guards. Total cost was $120 for the PPF installed and $200 for the splash guards (installed myself).

I don't have any paint chips on the nose, doors, rear bumpers, or rocker panels yet, where there is no PPF. Not saying it will never happen, but the area in front of the rear wheels is by far the most vulnerable area on the car.
Previous: 2018 Summit White 2SS 1LE; 2015 MINI Cooper F56 6MT; 2015 BMW M235i 6MT; 2003 MINI 5MT; 2005 Mustang GT 5MT
wjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote