Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #1
91 zeee

Drives: 2014 SS
Is there a reason NOT to use a 1LE catch can?

I’ve been looking all over this forum at catch cans. It seems that the factory 1LEis the cleanest looking installation. Is there a reason to go with something after market instead of the 1LE? I’m leaning towards the 1LE, but with all these aftermarket options out there, I’m guessing there must be a downside?
91 zeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 08:51 AM   #2
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91 zeee View Post
I’ve been looking all over this forum at catch cans. It seems that the factory 1LEis the cleanest looking installation. Is there a reason to go with something after market instead of the 1LE? I’m leaning towards the 1LE, but with all these aftermarket options out there, I’m guessing there must be a downside?
Not that I know of other than its not too pretty looking sitting on the valve cover, nice thing about it is that it is self draining! I have one on my 1LE and it works great.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:57 AM   #3
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I believe what your referring too would be the clean side separator not a true catch can, and its for storing temporarily with WOT runs oil that does filter back down after coming off the pedal...… for a real set up see Elite engineering .

See the red canister on the left that looks so Unclean install...LOL that's a catch can.

You really want to see things cleaned up read the sticky "cleaning up the engine bay" from Moreno Motorsports.... up above on the engine section.
Old 09-09-2018, 10:00 AM   #4
HOJO

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS/RS 1LE 1967 Camaro
The 1LE catch can is for the clean side of the PCV system, are you wanting the clean or dirty side catch can. There is a difference. Just checking. The 1LE catch can is a very clean and factory looking unit, it does it’s job well.
HOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 09:52 PM   #5
91 zeee

That’s a good question. I’m using the car for road racing. If that is what GM used on the 1LE is it good enough? Maybe I do need both?
Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Elite Engineering

Drives: 2010 Camaro

Our billet cleanside separator is far more effective than the empty plastic GM unit with a separate coalescing chamber and can be used year round.

Cheaper than the GM unit as well:

Replaces the stock oil fill cap and you simply cap the factory barb on the inner front of the passenger side valve cover. run hose from the main intake tube to the CSS.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...oil-separator/
Elite Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:17 AM   #7
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
Both is the best approach IMO. I have the 1LE, and an Elite. Many track days, on a '15 1LE SS they seem to do their job. A few table spoons of oil in the can after a track day.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 12:59 PM   #8
zz430camaro

Drives: 2015 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post

Our billet cleanside separator is far more effective than the empty plastic GM unit with a separate coalescing chamber and can be used year round.

Cheaper than the GM unit as well:

Replaces the stock oil fill cap and you simply cap the factory barb on the inner front of the passenger side valve cover. run hose from the main intake tube to the CSS.

http://www.eliteengineeringusa.com/c...oil-separator/
Can you please tell us the advantages of one or the other, meaning the clean side separator and the other type.
zz430camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2018, 12:52 PM   #9
Elite Engineering

The GM CSS is an empty plastic piece that traps by condensation, and the Elite is a billet piece made of 6061 T6 Aluminum with an internal coalescing chamber filled with stainless steel coalescing media that does a far better job of separating and preventing oil ingestion through the fresh/clean side of the PCV system. This is only responsible for app 5-15% of the total ingestion so you should run a proper foul/dirty side can to benefit.

Our E2 and E2-X dual valves will provide 90-95% effectiveness as well as full time evacuation suction VS part time for the stock system.

Most catchcans, no matter the brand name are only 15-30% effective in comparison.

Old 09-11-2018, 05:15 PM   #10
91 zeee

So, need to run two then. Thank you for the explanation.
Old 09-12-2018, 09:45 AM   #11
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
The GM CSS is an empty plastic piece that traps by condensation, and the Elite is a billet piece made of 6061 T6 Aluminum with an internal coalescing chamber filled with stainless steel coalescing media that does a far better job of separating and preventing oil ingestion through the fresh/clean side of the PCV system. This is only responsible for app 5-15% of the total ingestion so you should run a proper foul/dirty side can to benefit.

Our E2 and E2-X dual valves will provide 90-95% effectiveness as well as full time evacuation suction VS part time for the stock system.

Most catchcans, no matter the brand name are only 15-30% effective in comparison.

Could you explain where to place the clean-side bung on an intake? It looks like some intakes have the bung in the middle of the intake tube (stock ish location) while others put it in the silicone coupler that attaches the tube to the throttle body.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 04:25 PM   #12
Elite Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by xc_SS/RS View Post
Could you explain where to place the clean-side bung on an intake? It looks like some intakes have the bung in the middle of the intake tube (stock ish location) while others put it in the silicone coupler that attaches the tube to the throttle body.

As long as it is post MAF so the MAF sensor meters the incoming air, unless it is a turbo or centri blower.