Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

View Poll Results: Have you had a runaway throttle? Revs climb to 4000 RPM without touching pedal?
M6: Yes, It has happened to me too. 17 25.00%
M6: No, It's never happened to me. 32 47.06%
A10: Yes, it's happened to me too. 0 0%
A10: No, It has never happened to me. 19 27.94%
Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #1
cwebster
Cal

Drives: 2017 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 Coupe M6
Stuck Throttle on 6th Gen Camaro ZL1 M6

I know I've heard others complaining about this - both ZL1 and SS drivers. This has happened to me on numerous occasions since I bought this car. I finally caught it on my PDR. I've been unable to duplicate this in front the dealer service rep. Has anyone else seen this? Anyone else recorded it?

Drive mode set to "Track Mode" and PTM mode "Race". From a complete stop, start letting out the clutch as you give it a little gas then let off the gas and push in the clutch. RPM will climb to max idle RPM (4000) for about 1 sec then drop back down. There was never more than about 10% throttle (see green bars upper right) and that was only for a brief moment. You can plainly see there is zero throttle application as the RPM's climb. It doesn't happen all the time - kind of random. Doesn't matter whether it's cold or warm. It's always happened to me in 1st gear as I'm trying to inch forward. I've only seen it when the car is in "Track Mode" with PTM mode set to "Race" but it may also happen in other modes.

--Cal
cwebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #2
gblaue

Drives: 2017 Bright Yellow ZL1 6spd
That’s what mine has done several times. Only in track mode.
Old 03-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #3
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblaue View Post
That’s what mine has done several times. Only in track mode.
I'm going to make an appointment with the service dept. next week. Maybe I'll get lucky and duplicate it this time. If not, I'll have the PDR video to show them. I'd hate for this to happen to someone near a school zone or parking lot with people around. I'm pretty sure I could react in time but since it's a "fly-by-wire" throttle, who knows when it might rear it's ugly head. I'm not sure if it's happened to any A8 or A10 Camaros. It might just be an M6 thing.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #4
travislambert

Drives: '17 ZL1
I caught it on my PDR last July. You can see from the embedded metadata that the throttle position was at 0% when the car suddenly reved to 4,000RPM. I sent the PDR file and an explanation to the Camaro quality manager.

My guess is that it was deemed not an issue.

2023 Camaro SS 1LE A10
2023 Camaro ZL1 1LE M6
2017 Camaro ZL1 M6
2016 Camaro SS M6 w/LT4 (Sold)
travislambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 08:02 PM   #5
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Service rep says, "Don't drive in track mode on the street...track mode is for the track." Seriously, I doubt there is a fix unless there is a software update. I think it is a glitch related to rev match and the car "thinks" a downshift is ready to occur. If your service advisor or tech can replicate or do anything to help it I will be surprised. Wish you luck, Cal!
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:39 PM   #6
ninetres

Drives: Crush ZLE M6 | 2000 Corvette FRC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
Service rep says, "Don't drive in track mode on the street...track mode is for the track." Seriously, I doubt there is a fix unless there is a software update. I think it is a glitch related to rev match and the car "thinks" a downshift is ready to occur. If your service advisor or tech can replicate or do anything to help it I will be surprised. Wish you luck, Cal!
Did a rep of some sort actually say that? That would have infuriated me.
ninetres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #7
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
I'd love to have this come into one of our dealerships and be able to trouble shoot and test. But I doubt anyone short of a big time Camaro engineer themselves could figure this out. Don't expect much from your average local dealer. Has anyone captured this with a data log? That may be a start as to where it's originating. Is it related to the active rev match system even if the rev match is disabled? Is it an anti stall feature? If you were to let the clutch out rapidly while it's doing it, would it continue to hold RPM and basically "launch" the car? In which case this could be a SERIOUS issue and a big time safety concern. I could only imagine that happens to someone at a cruise...and the car in front of you happens to be a classic Ferrari with a $1,000,000 paint job OR even worse, hit and injured someone.

That said, suing GM even with the ruse of it being a safety concern will go no where. They have way more money and way more attorneys than owners could ever topple. They'll lock you up in court waiting for so long until you run out of will or money. The law suits with the Z06 went, surprise surprise, no where. And Tadge and the like never will speak about it, just like Al O will probably never address this issue.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Oldfart

Drives: Silverado, V-70 R
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
It must have been the same Chevy rep that told the owner of a Colorado ZR2 who had his side airbags deploy for no reason while off-road that he, "Should not drive it on bumpy roads."
Oldfart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #9
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Subscribed.

Cal, please post your dealers response and/or action taken.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #10
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by travislambert View Post
I caught it on my PDR last July. You can see from the embedded metadata that the throttle position was at 0% when the car suddenly reved to 4,000RPM. I sent the PDR file and an explanation to the Camaro quality manager.

My guess is that it was deemed not an issue.
I think the problem is that not enough of us have complained and those that do complain can't easily replicate it. Have you uploaded your PDR clip anywhere that I can have a look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
"Track Mode" is just a name - something to call that combination of settings. Just like Al O. said the wheel slip % settings on the custom launch controls are just there to give them a name. If there's a mode I can select and the car malfunctions, it still needs to be fixed. If they try to throw that line of crap my way I guess I'll use a different hypothetical. What if I'm in the paddock at the track and my car decides to accelerate when there's people walking in front of the car? ...Doesn't matter where I am when I notice the malfunction. It still needs to be fixed.

They may not fix it but they will not shut me up. They will check it and acknowledge that it does in-fact malfunction, and I'll be on record. I don't think this is a serious safety issue, at least not with me as a driver. I don't like being patronized, though. If I feel like they're just brushing me off I'll push harder.

--Cal
Old 03-10-2018, 09:55 PM   #11
cwebster
Cal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Subscribed.

Cal, please post your dealers response and/or action taken.

Thanks in advance.
Will do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
I'd love to have this come into one of our dealerships and be able to trouble shoot and test. But I doubt anyone short of a big time Camaro engineer themselves could figure this out. Don't expect much from your average local dealer. Has anyone captured this with a data log? That may be a start as to where it's originating. Is it related to the active rev match system even if the rev match is disabled? Is it an anti stall feature? If you were to let the clutch out rapidly while it's doing it, would it continue to hold RPM and basically "launch" the car? In which case this could be a SERIOUS issue and a big time safety concern. I could only imagine that happens to someone at a cruise...and the car in front of you happens to be a classic Ferrari with a $1,000,000 paint job OR even worse, hit and injured someone.

That said, suing GM even with the ruse of it being a safety concern will go no where. They have way more money and way more attorneys than owners could ever topple. They'll lock you up in court waiting for so long until you run out of will or money. The law suits with the Z06 went, surprise surprise, no where. And Tadge and the like never will speak about it, just like Al O will probably never address this issue.
Those are all the questions I'd be asking myself if I were the technician/mechanic assigned to solve the problem. A data logger would be a great option. I don't happen to have one except the embedded data that the PDR saves, as Travis pointed out. If they handled it that way I'd be happy. I have no intention of suing anyone. I'd just like to see it acknowledged and that someone is working on it.

--Cal
Old 03-10-2018, 09:57 PM   #12
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
This issue is going to be a deep, computer related, coding/tuning issue. Which, if so, there's virtually nothing a dealership tech can do about it, short of trying to get Chevy to get an answer for it. I mean if the stars aligned and the moon is blue you might even get Chevy to buy the car back from you if it's really deemed an issue. A good dealer will attempt to go to bat for you against GM/Whatever brand it is and see if they can get their rep to come out and inspect and if found a fault, it will be purchased back. I mean think about it...short of unlocking and essentially diagnosing and tuning the problem out, if it's even "that simple" dare I say, it is now no longer a factory car. This is an issue that only Chevrolet could fix...

Again, I don't see how this could be fixed without Chevy opening a support program and totally re-engineering something in this car...
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:00 PM   #13
Stephen12ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninetres View Post
no...just being hypothetical considering the malfunction and the mode in which it occurs. Most service reps mean well but are BS artists.
Old 03-10-2018, 10:05 PM   #14
Stephen12ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebster View Post
Will do...

Those are all the questions I'd be asking myself if I were the technician/mechanic assigned to solve the problem. A data logger would be a great option. I don't happen to have one except the embedded data that the PDR saves, as Travis pointed out. If they handled it that way I'd be happy. I have no intention of suing anyone. I'd just like to see it acknowledged and that someone is working on it.

--Cal
Cal,

Since the data was on the PDR, upload the data to the Cosworth toolbox and see if there is anything more to add to the equation. Can’t hurt...might help.