Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Nav, Radar, Electronics

Phastek Performance

Old 12-04-2023, 09:01 AM   #29
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSS1LE View Post
There was a time when you could shoot someone for trying to steal your car, but I believe that time has passed, at least most places.
You still can in Texas.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:04 AM   #30
Capricio

Drives: 2000 WS6
Trying to understand the timing and distance parameters for when you're vulnerable...

Is there some period of "lockout" with RF transmissions after you lock the doors? Clearly I can walk away and the doors remain locked.

What radius max can i expect two way RF dialog to happen?

I understand thieves can work in pairs and relay the signals across some distance. How do hotel lot thieves typically operate? One roams the hallways near your room door and the other stands near the target car? Or do they sit in the lot and try to pick off bi-directional signals?

You guys convinced me to invest $10 in some pouches but just trying to determine when/where we are most vulnerable to intercepts.
Capricio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:07 AM   #31
GearheadSS

Drives: 23 LT1/22 Colorado TB/69 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanbabz71 View Post
AirTag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The problem with Airtags is that they will notify nearby iphones that an airtag is present. If you can hide it well enough, it might be enough to get the thief to bail though.
GearheadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:09 AM   #32
MisterMarauder

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red ZL1
I have a console safe in my GMC Sierra. When I go somewhere that I don't want to keep my key on me, (running, biking etc), I put the keyfob in that faraday pouch and lock it in the console safe. Even inside the vehicle, it won't start. They work well.

Current
2023 Radiant Red ZL1
1992 Z28

Previous
2018 2SS Redline Edition
1992 RS
MisterMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:48 AM   #33

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMarauder View Post
I have a console safe in my GMC Sierra. When I go somewhere that I don't want to keep my key on me, (running, biking etc), I put the keyfob in that faraday pouch and lock it in the console safe. Even inside the vehicle, it won't start. They work well.
So, you don't lock the doors then?
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 09:56 AM   #34
spdkilz911

Drives: 23 ZL1 20 Jeep GC
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT-SS1LE View Post
Sorry about your car. I hate staying in hotels with a nice car, or any car really. They are definitely prime targets for thieves. I try to choose hotels with one floor where I can park in front of my door if at all possible. At least I may hear something.

I remember back in the 80's and early 90's you could get removable steering wheels and people were using them for theft deterrence also. Of course, this was before airbags and it was relatively easy to do then. Not sure it's feasible nowadays, but would definitely be a great theft deterrent!
I had a grant steering wheel and their removable adapter in a couple vehicles back in the 80's. It worked great and got a lot of looks. Both having the wheel with me and looking inside and seeing no wheel

I will also be purchasing the Faraday pouch
Old 12-04-2023, 10:29 AM   #35
dfwcowboy

Drives: 2024 ZL1 M6, 1969 Cessna Skylane
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearheadSS View Post
The problem with Airtags is that they will notify nearby iphones that an airtag is present. If you can hide it well enough, it might be enough to get the thief to bail though.

Might be enough to discourage them from even trying if they have any sense. Mine is hidden well enough they are going to have to tear the car apart to find it.
dfwcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 10:30 AM   #36
HemiDave

Drives: ZLE/DEMON/GLADIATOR/GSXR1000R/ZX10R
The more anti theft devices you install will make it harder/ more time-consuming for a criminal to defeat.
Unfortunately that wont prevent them for entering your Camaro by sophisticated means or just breaking your window.
Tracking devices wont stop them from taking it.

I don't run errands with my ZLE or Demon because I find its just not worth the risk.
I just drive them for pure pleasure and they dont get parked unattended unless in my garage.

2018 Dodge Demon #1399
2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon 6 speed manual
2023 ZL1 1LE 6 speed manual
2018 Suzuki GSXR 1000R
2021 Kawasaki ZX10R
HemiDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #37
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post
Trying to understand the timing and distance parameters for when you're vulnerable...

Is there some period of "lockout" with RF transmissions after you lock the doors? Clearly I can walk away and the doors remain locked.

I understand thieves can work in pairs and relay the signals across some distance. How do hotel lot thieves typically operate? One roams the hallways near your room door and the other stands near the target car? Or do they sit in the lot and try to pick off bi-directional signals?

You guys convinced me to invest $10 in some pouches but just trying to determine when/where we are most vulnerable to intercepts.
I believe the signals don't 'time out'. That's why if you haven't used your car in a while you can still hit the button on the door handle without touching anything on your fob.

Not sure what the maximum radius is for the relay; I would guess it would depend on the strength of the transmitter/amplifier.

One person would be close to where the fob is - he would have the transmitter/amplifier. The other person would be close to your car with the receiver, which I believe would retransmit the signal from the other person at a strength that would make your car think the fob is next to it.

I think lol . . .
Allez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:30 AM   #38
MisterMarauder

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90503 View Post
So, you don't lock the doors then?
I use the app on my phone to lock/unlock the truck.

Current
2023 Radiant Red ZL1
1992 Z28

Previous
2018 2SS Redline Edition
1992 RS
MisterMarauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:57 AM   #39
Rogueleader_92

Drives: Chevy camaro, Chevy cruze
I've thought about this a lot. I'm an older guy (40) and keyless fobs just bother me so with my 23 being my first car with one I tried to trouble shoot how to best keep the car safe.

Like many are saying, out of sight out of mind. Garage it or even a cover could be enough to keep people from wanting to bother it.

Next I disabled the keyless entry where you just walk up and push the door handle button. It takes the unlock button from the remote or the app (I prefer the app so they can't catch the signal, instead it goes through the cellular signal that they may not be ready to snatch) to unlock. At least this way if someone is doing a relay attack they can't get entry without breaking in through a window or trying to pick the lock and it will cause the alarm to go off.

I am thinking of doing a kill switch someday but only after the warranties run out.

Blue 2023 Camaro, 3LT, RS.
Rogueleader_92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 12:48 PM   #40
23Redrocket

Drives: Chevy Blazer, Corvette, Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capricio View Post

I have a new Blazer that you can put your foot under the vehicle to automatically open the rear door. When I get close enough (About 6 to 8 feet) away a light will shine a chevy emblem on the ground where I put my foot. I would assume that this is the rough distance of communication between the FOB and vehicle. Obviously if you push a button on the FOB it sends a signal.
Just a thought, may be wrong.
23Redrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2023, 11:46 PM   #41
SuperSnake1972

Drives: 2020 chevrolet camaro 2SS
I gots the club for my 2020 2SS.
SuperSnake1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2023, 12:37 PM   #42
The Zebra

Drives: '24 ZL1 A10, '70 Olds 442 W-30
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnake1972 View Post
I gots the club for my 2020 2SS.
Beware of Le Club. It take just a few seconds to Sawzall through the rim of the steering wheel and knock that club off.
The Zebra is offline   Reply With Quote