Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 11-01-2023, 12:49 PM   #29
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMLMZ View Post
I forgot about the porting too for the stock blower. By adding an FF sensor, E50, Kong port and maybe a lower pulley if you want to get frisky, you can easily make more power than the maggie on a stock car with maggie tune. There are plenty of mods that will hide well and not be able to be found in a ref inspection. They really want to see cold air intakes, aftermarket pullies that dont look stock and also noise level out of the exhaust. If you grab yourself a drop in K&N airfilter and do the OEM FF sensor, the port, a lower crank pulley and a real tune, you will be making probably 700 to the tire easy with an E blend. Keep the stock airfilter and put it back in the box if you have to go in for inspection. Obv keep the stock exhaust intact as well. But keep in mind you are about out of options at that point.

You'll need a TCM unlock and tune if you want to get above that low to mid 700 threshold. And then it just get way more indepth from there. I've said it before and will say it now, these are the most expensive cars in this class to mod. For the guy who wants to keep one stock and just cruise and enjoy a yearly drag event or just car shows, its a fantastic car. Or to go to the roadcourse and enjoy the GM engineering at its finest iteration for the pony style car. This is it.

If you want to roll race the homies on the highway, or be a force at weekly test and tune nights at the drag strip, get a hellcat or coyote with a blower. These are the worst cars to mod past 700hp. The worst. Hellcats make 800 to the tire with a lower, injectors and E. Thats it. And much more with real mods. I have a 22GT now with a Gen V whipple 3.0 and it made 740 on the stage one kit on e20 with injectors and headers only. Im less into this car than I was in the ZL1 stock purchase. Forget the maggie.
They check ECMs now and can tell if there is a tune that isn't stock, or even approved by CARB. They can also see how many times the controller has been flashed. It isn't as easy as it seems like you think it is.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 01:51 PM   #30
Camfab

Drives: ‘23 ZL1-1LE
So just a few questions, because I don’t know. Can you just purchase another ECM and just swap back and forth with no detection? Or is there some sort of counter else where in the car that sees this change? Do these cars even have a BCM? Also I hear everyone quoting the 12k cost, is this because you guys don’t do the work yourselves? Also again because I don’t have a clue, what dose a tune cost for this type of application?
Camfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 02:36 PM   #31
clg82

Drives: 2020 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
I forgot about the porting too for the stock blower. By adding an FF sensor, E50, Kong port and maybe a lower pulley if you want to get frisky, you can easily make more power than the maggie on a stock car with maggie tune. There are plenty of mods that will hide well and not be able to be found in a ref inspection. They really want to see cold air intakes, aftermarket pullies that dont look stock and also noise level out of the exhaust. If you grab yourself a drop in K&N airfilter and do the OEM FF sensor, the port, a lower crank pulley and a real tune, you will be making probably 700 to the tire easy with an E blend. Keep the stock airfilter and put it back in the box if you have to go in for inspection. Obv keep the stock exhaust intact as well. But keep in mind you are about out of options at that point.

You'll need a TCM unlock and tune if you want to get above that low to mid 700 threshold. And then it just get way more indepth from there. I've said it before and will say it now, these are the most expensive cars in this class to mod. For the guy who wants to keep one stock and just cruise and enjoy a yearly drag event or just car shows, its a fantastic car. Or to go to the roadcourse and enjoy the GM engineering at its finest iteration for the pony style car. This is it.

If you want to roll race the homies on the highway, or be a force at weekly test and tune nights at the drag strip, get a hellcat or coyote with a blower. These are the worst cars to mod past 700hp. The worst. Hellcats make 800 to the tire with a lower, injectors and E. Thats it. And much more with real mods. I have a 22GT now with a Gen V whipple 3.0 and it made 740 on the stage one kit on e20 with injectors and headers only. Im less into this car than I was in the ZL1 stock purchase. Forget the maggie.
If you can afford a ZL1 from the jump and enjoy the better chassis, better looks, better interior, better suspension than you should be able to afford to do the modifications as well. If you can't afford to pay to play than you should be in a junk Ford to begin with.... Mine made 712 to the wheels with the magnuson, a tune, and torco...
Old 11-01-2023, 08:46 PM   #32
clg82

So whoever is interested my numbers can be found below, it would seem that the CARB tune is pretty close to the regular 91 tune they did for mine.

CARB Tune: 659HP 626 TQ
91 Tune: 671HP 633 TQ
Torco Tune: 712HP 642 TQ
Old 11-01-2023, 09:13 PM   #33
BMLMZ

Drives: 2022 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
If you can afford a ZL1 from the jump and enjoy the better chassis, better looks, better interior, better suspension than you should be able to afford to do the modifications as well. If you can't afford to pay to play than you should be in a junk Ford to begin with.... Mine made 712 to the wheels with the magnuson, a tune, and torco...
Being able to afford vs spending your money wisely is what separates credit card warriors and people that have wealth. My power per dollar goal is way better than yours I assure you. And most who "can afford" a car like the ZL1 dont necessarily have another $20k+ to put into said car to make power. More actually if you dont install everything yourself.

You sure took to being butthurt quickly going after my "junk ford', that in reality is a bit faster than your ultra high quality chevy...
BMLMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2023, 10:30 PM   #34
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
You sure took to being butthurt quickly going after my "junk ford', that in reality is a bit faster than your ultra high quality chevy...
Oh boy. Here we go. Forum looking like Facebook again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clg82 View Post
So whoever is interested my numbers can be found below, it would seem that the CARB tune is pretty close to the regular 91 tune they did for mine.

CARB Tune: 659HP 626 TQ
91 Tune: 671HP 633 TQ
Torco Tune: 712HP 642 TQ
That's what I was thinking- 650+ with the CARB tune should be no problem. Glad to see some actual numbers. Did you have a baseline on yours? I think you guys in Cali can throw a wideband in there, and work on opening up the intake with a ported or 95mm TB and a better intake, and it would "fix" the ultra-rich CARB tune. Basically get it up higher in the MAF curve and it might wind up being in a good spot, lambda-wise. Of course you'd have to log it and see where it landed, but I would think that would be a way to get more out of the CARB tune and still be legal.

Past Rides-
2014 ZL1 M6 Red Hot | Tons of mods
2004 CTS-V M6 Silver | Many mods
1995 Corvette M6 Torch Red | A few more mods
1992 Camaro M5 White | A few mods
RobZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 01:57 AM   #35
Camfab

Thanks for all the responses, appreciate all of them. Sounds to me like BMLMZ is the only one who truly had a stock car with the 2650 at least initially and thus the 600whp as advertised. Clg82, I’m assuming your numbers are reflecting the additional mods in your signature, I’m guessing the throttle body and cold air package are the potential players here. It seems no one knows if you can just swap ECM’s with no trace.

Rob my feeling is if you’re putting in a throttle body you’re opening Pandora’s box.
Stay tuned, a brand new ZL1 1LE might be in the classifieds shortly….

He's not the only one to dyno, stock.

Magnuson's original test car, an M6, CARB-legal set-up, put down around 650/650 on Magnuson's dyno (dynojet I believe). That matches a couple others out there.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:06 AM   #36
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camfab View Post
Thanks for all the responses, appreciate all of them. Sounds to me like BMLMZ is the only one who truly had a stock car with the 2650 at least initially and thus the 600whp as advertised. Clg82, I’m assuming your numbers are reflecting the additional mods in your signature, I’m guessing the throttle body and cold air package are the potential players here. It seems no one knows if you can just swap ECM’s with no trace.

Rob my feeling is if you’re putting in a throttle body you’re opening Pandora’s box.
If you put a 95mm ported LT5 in there, it looks just like stock. (or throw a ported stocker in there)

Past Rides-
Old 11-02-2023, 11:30 AM   #37
IMCWORTH

Drives: 2023 Camaro Convertible ZL1 A10
I hate California!!! The ARB has taken all the fun away... Sorry couldn't help myself..
IMCWORTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 11:39 AM   #38
clg82

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZL1 View Post
Oh boy. Here we go. Forum looking like Facebook again.

That's what I was thinking- 650+ with the CARB tune should be no problem. Glad to see some actual numbers. Did you have a baseline on yours? I think you guys in Cali can throw a wideband in there, and work on opening up the intake with a ported or 95mm TB and a better intake, and it would "fix" the ultra-rich CARB tune. Basically get it up higher in the MAF curve and it might wind up being in a good spot, lambda-wise. Of course you'd have to log it and see where it landed, but I would think that would be a way to get more out of the CARB tune and still be legal.
I did not get a baseline prior too the Magnuson install. According to the tuner, I'm right at where he is comfortable with my fuel %.
Old 11-02-2023, 11:54 AM   #39
clg82

Quote:

The additional mods may or may not add 10+ RWHP, the Magnuson is truly where all the gains are coming from. I went forward with the Magnuson route as I knew the end stop for me wasn't going to be California, and that I could build on it as a good base for future mods.....but what do I know, I'm just a "credit card warrior"
Old 11-02-2023, 11:56 AM   #40
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:

He's not the only one to dyno, stock.
Magnuson's original test car, an M6, CARB-legal set-up, put down around 650/650 on Magnuson's dyno (dynojet I believe). That matches a couple others out there.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 05:17 PM   #41
Camfab

Ok this is so weird, somehow my post last night got edited, not by me with the sentence
“He’s not the only one to dyno, stock”
And the whole bit about Magnusson’s original car making 650.
So weird?
Old 11-02-2023, 08:03 PM   #42
RobZL1
fo'shizZL1

I bet rad's moderator privileges accidentally modified your post or something.

Past Rides-