Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Bigwormgraphix

Old 08-20-2023, 05:05 PM   #1
atx_traveler

Drives: blue velvet
Toe arm replacement without alignment

Does anyone have any tricks to swap the rear toe arms without getting an alignment after? I recently got the SPL toe arms (actually found out they are down the street from me) and was thinking I'd somehow measure 3 points from the inside rim to a fixed point on the chassis before/after to make sure my alignment stayed the same.
atx_traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
It's fairly simple to do a DIY string alignment. If all you're doing is rear toe it should be pretty straightforward and you can save yourself some money. Take a before reading and then set it back to that. You can make your life a lot easier if you have turn plates but it's not necessary.

I've had pretty good luck doing this, I'm sure it's not as accurate as a shop, but I have good tire wear and the car drives fine.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:54 AM   #3
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
I've got toe plates but I've not used them or worked up the courage, that is. It does when you read in to it seem pretty straightforward with the plates, or the string method, it can be simplified and then also made to look very complicated to DIY.
WhiteMale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 11:59 AM   #4
MT-SS1LE

Drives: 2023 SS 1LE Sharkskin
I've used the string method on other vehicles and it gets you pretty darn close. But my OCD always has me going to the alignment shop anyway. Usually they are surprised at how close I was to the original spec.
MT-SS1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2023, 01:36 PM   #5
eimarshall

Drives: 2018 SS 1LE Hyperblue
You can also measure the length of the stock toe arm when you remove it(bolt hole to bolt hole length). that will get you close. the Toe plates will get you even closer. double check the toe plates with strings to make sure you don't have a funny thrust angle.
I did mine for the first time this spring with plates/stings. Then I took it to a shop and my toe was dead on. It was surprisingly easy. I was nervous/skeptical, but very re-assured after the fact.
eimarshall is offline   Reply With Quote