Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Phastek Performance

Old 08-09-2023, 09:43 AM   #1
Baddawg53

Drives: 17 hyper blue 2SS M6
ABS brake bleed only activates pump on right side

I'm attempting to do an ABS brake bleed for the first time on my 17 SS and I'm having a little issue. I have an Autel MX808 scanner, and while using it only the right side activated the abs pump. The left side only prompts you to press the pedal down.

I've sent an email to their tech support, but was curious if anyone else has run into this issue before? Is it just a scan tool issue? I did find a post on a different forum with a similar issue although it was a different scanner and there was no resolution on the post.
Baddawg53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 11:55 AM   #2
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Subscribed. Hope you find the solution man!
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2023, 08:10 PM   #3
SHessler

Drives: 2021 1SS 1LE [Shock]
There is another thread about aftermarket scan tools and incomplete ABS activation. There may not be one that functions correctly.

I wish there was, I've got the same wonky pedal that others have described and would love to be able to fix it.

Ex Spec Miata driver.
SHessler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2023, 05:31 PM   #4
Baddawg53

So I've made some assumptions that I'm pretty confident about regarding the scan tools and ABS bleeding. I've used 3 so far, the foxwell NT630+, the Autel mx808, and a much more expensive snap on scan tool.

All 3 operate identically, like down to the screen layouts, timers, literally everything and only activated the right side. So I'm confident in saying all the aftermarket scanners buy and use the same software from a single vendor. This would explain why you need to use the GM software to properly bleed the system. Unfortunately it's an almost $900 a year subscription, and not justifiable for a shade tree mechanic.

My plan is to get a new master cylinder, perform a bench bleed and replace mine. Then try my best to borrow the GM tools from someone to do the proper bleed. I'm just the type of guy that avoids letting dealerships work on my stuff as much as I can, this might be unavoidable this time
Old 08-29-2023, 07:32 AM   #5
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
OMG ARE YOU MY TWIN?

I have the MK 808-TS and was bleeding my brakes post upgrades and had this exact issue. I've sent a recording off to Autel and have included the GM PDF brake bleed procedure showing not only is the sequence incorrect, it does not activate the left side.

Expect a PM from me.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 12:01 PM   #6
Baddawg53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
OMG ARE YOU MY TWIN?

I have the MK 808-TS and was bleeding my brakes post upgrades and had this exact issue. I've sent a recording off to Autel and have included the GM PDF brake bleed procedure showing not only is the sequence incorrect, it does not activate the left side.

Expect a PM from me.

I'm glad I'm not alone! I've been putting off calling their tech line, I just don't have any hope they'll be able to fix the programming issue. I do have some free time today, maybe I need to give them a chance. I'm definitely curious what they'll tell you.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:15 PM   #7
Val Walkinshaw
L8ap3x

Drives: 2018 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddawg53 View Post
I'm glad I'm not alone! I've been putting off calling their tech line, I just don't have any hope they'll be able to fix the programming issue. I do have some free time today, maybe I need to give them a chance. I'm definitely curious what they'll tell you.
My rep is told me he needs more information before he can send a request for a software update to the engineers. I am currently awaiting a response email.

2018 2SS 1LE HBM 6M
Val Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:44 PM   #8
Baddawg53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Val Walkinshaw View Post
My rep is told me he needs more information before he can send a request for a software update to the engineers. I am currently awaiting a response email.
I called Autel today, the guy connected to my scanner and ran through the program. He then said he was going to talk to an engineer and get back to me. He saw how it differed side to side, so we'll see, maybe with multiple complaints something will get done.
Old 08-29-2023, 08:29 PM   #9
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
This may sound foolish, but how much brake fluid is in the ABS system at any given time and if you have braked hard enough to engage the ABS a couple of times, haven't you "bled" the system with fresh fluid from your previous bleeds?
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 10:26 PM   #10
Baddawg53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
This may sound foolish, but how much brake fluid is in the ABS system at any given time and if you have braked hard enough to engage the ABS a couple of times, haven't you "bled" the system with fresh fluid from your previous bleeds?
Well, I've definitely engaged ABS at my track days, and I've pushed gallons of fluid through the system, and I still have a soft pedal... If you know of a way other than bringing the car to the dealer that'll work to get the air out, I'm all ears.
Old 08-30-2023, 07:00 PM   #11
Ventmaster

Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
I've always followed this post in the DIY forum. It does not address bleeding the ABS system but another member once suggested braking on loose dirt or gravel to repeatedly activate and bleed the ABS.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545244
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2023, 10:24 PM   #12
Baddawg53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
I've always followed this post in the DIY forum. It does not address bleeding the ABS system but another member once suggested braking on loose dirt or gravel to repeatedly activate and bleed the ABS.
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=545244

Unfortunately driving on a gravel road is not an option for me, so other than the rare abs event on track I'm left with trying to get the proper bleed in my garage. Hopefully Autel comes up with a solution for this.
Old 08-31-2023, 12:43 AM   #13
Dabjbr

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE
Baddawg, are you certain you’re engaging abs? I only ask knowing you run sticky tires that might not trigger abs.

I know gravel isn’t an option but maybe you take my shitty traction 400tw drift tires. Your race pads are sure to lock them up and will invoke abs. Just yet another option for you if you can’t find a software solution.
Dabjbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2023, 03:41 PM   #14
Baddawg53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabjbr View Post
Baddawg, are you certain you’re engaging abs? I only ask knowing you run sticky tires that might not trigger abs.

I know gravel isn’t an option but maybe you take my shitty traction 400tw drift tires. Your race pads are sure to lock them up and will invoke abs. Just yet another option for you if you can’t find a software solution.

Yea, I'm confident I've had it active at the track, it just happened at Laguna going into 11. Guy in front of me braked earlier and harder than I expected, got a bit too hard into the pedal. It was quick, not a whole lot of activation.