Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-28-2018, 03:31 PM   #1
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
Door handle chip, paint or replace?

Even though I parked as far as possible in the back lot I got a paint chip on my drivers side door handle from someone parking too close. I knew it was this car that did because my white paint was still on his door edge. I left a note and have received a call from their insurance company. Instead of repainting the door handle, I was thinking of replacing the whole handle. Any idea if I can get a prepainted door handle?
Attached Images

Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 03:48 PM   #2
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Just call your local chevy dealer with the last 8 of your vin and ask. Takes like 5 minutes.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:27 PM   #3
VinnAY
Account Suspended

Drives: 18 1SS/1LE
You left a note and actually talked to an insurance company over a paint chip...on a door handle?
VinnAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:34 PM   #4
Dethsupp0rt

Drives: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
You left a note and actually talked to an insurance company over a paint chip...on a door handle?

I'm kind of picky (not picky enough though, since someone was wondering why I had an $80 car cover instead of a $400 car cover, to which I replied, "It's not a McLaren for Christ's sake!") but I'd be fine with some touch-up paint in this situation.
Dethsupp0rt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 04:38 PM   #5
DenverTaco07

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE, 2017 Volt, 2013 Pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnAY View Post
I'm not sure I would, but I am sure I wouldn't care enough to troll him. He obviously did exactly what you are asking.
Old 11-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #6
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethsupp0rt View Post
I'm kind of picky (not picky enough though, since someone was wondering why I had an $80 car cover instead of a $400 car cover, to which I replied, "It's not a McLaren for Christ's sake!") but I'd be fine with some touch-up paint in this situation.
I agree with you man. Its a Camaro, Im picky too but I'm not that picky, its why I drive mine in the winter. I just keep it clean, sealed and paint chip filled all the time.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:27 PM   #7
CrazyCatGuy
I'm the cats pajamas baby

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Calm down Yarbie. It's his car, let him deal with it the way he wants.

OP, I feel Dr. Color chip would be a good investment for you. I had it for my M3 and Golf and it did really well for me on both. I'm in the process of asking for a kit from the wifey for X-Mas.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:27 PM   #8
RomanB

Drives: 2LT RS Yellow Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCatGuy View Post
Calm down Yarbie. It's his car, let him deal with it the way he wants.

OP, I feel Dr. Color chip would be a good investment for you. I had it for my M3 and Golf and it did really well for me on both. I'm in the process of asking for a kit from the wifey for X-Mas.
Completely agree. If people are upset, it's their business. We are all different. Especially if it's a new car, it's upsetting when people don't care about other people's belonging.

Regarding the chip, Dr Color chip is your friend. I had a chip on nearly the same spot because of a rock. Apply several layers of paint and you won't find the chip from a distance of 2 feet and more.
Old 11-28-2018, 06:36 PM   #9
Burly

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I am picky and obsessed about keeping my car nice as possible. I purposely parked the farthest away, dozens of empty spaces around me, as I could and was pissed off that this happened. Their insurance company called me, I only left my phone number. Troll away if makes you feel good.
Burly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 06:57 PM   #10
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
I am picky and obsessed about keeping my car nice as possible. I purposely parked the farthest away, dozens of empty spaces around me, as I could and was pissed off that this happened. Their insurance company called me, I only left my phone number. Troll away if makes you feel good.
OP, I believe you. FWIW there are honest people out there that would report it to insurance. I’m in the camp that says get a quote for both repair/replacement and send it to their insurance. What ever way they decide to settle, I’m sure you’ll be satisfied.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #11
ItsChristianInHD

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT RS 3.6L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
To be honest I’d do the same thing. If I caught the person that did it in, youre case you’re lucky they admitted to it.

In other cases like a guy that works for our company, he drives a 2012 45th anniversary Camaro, and a girl rammed a shopping cart into the side of it and said (it’s just a car grow up) and took off before he could get any info.
ItsChristianInHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 08:55 PM   #12
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Insurance claims show on autocheck and carfax. I would never chance a red mark on a history report for something so minor. I am also a perfectionist with my car but honestly I would just touch it up and move on....
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #13
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
Insurance claims show on autocheck and carfax. I would never chance a red mark on a history report for something so minor. I am also a perfectionist with my car but honestly I would just touch it up and move on....
Not all do. I had a city truck door ding my Honda and got a claim and check from their insurance with no record at all.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 09:29 AM   #14
Sheriff37
Do it for Dale

Drives: '16 NFGray V6 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARBIE 1 View Post
You're definitely kidding about the insurance thing too, right? i'm seriously not believing your post is for real....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it's not a forum complaint then Yarbie doesn't want to hear it . I've gotten a few chips from careless people, especially a nasty one on my door handle, so I feel your pain. I went with touch-up paint from GM, but be careful applying it because it's easy to glob it up and make a mess.
Sheriff37 is offline   Reply With Quote