Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-02-2018, 07:57 AM   #29
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
I don't see anyone all that concerned with the pistons and ring gap issues the stock LT1's come with. I'd be highly paranoid going with forced induction without getting new pistons. On top of that, I would think that a catch can on a boosted setup is a must.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 08:58 AM   #30
KingLT1

Drives: 2016 1SS NFG A8
I wouldn't be concerned with the stock rings at entry level boost levels.
Per. times- 10.5 @ 137 w/ 1.8 60ft Full weight on 20's 1200DA
KingLT1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #31
MemoTRCKSS
Memosanchez22

Drives: 2016Camaro2SS
if I do decide on a S/C witch type would be a better buy on these new LT1's a roots style or centrifugal style be better
MemoTRCKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 09:58 PM   #32
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
That is an angle dancing on a pin argument. For me I got a second hand one from Pray. It was a procharger, with a stage II intercooler. I also like the LT4 take-offs for the boost level I'm talking about 6 PSI. The is no all things being equal argument. Depends on the deal and where you want to go.

IMO the procharger offers more expansion options, and offers a more usable power curve.
The LT4 take-offs are OEM designed and for 6 PSI they are really hard to beat in terms of price, dependability and performace.
I've had two PDs before and loved them also... It is almost like the hot Asian vs the hot blonde vs Danica debate, they all want me...
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 04:03 AM   #33
boostednut

Drives: Nothing cool atm
Personally I would pick a pro charger. Just run the canned tune or a conservative tune from a good tuner, throw on some headers and call it a day. On the internet 550whp+ is not fast enough, but in the real world on a street car, it's plenty fast. Like realistically, once you hit 600whp for most places in the country traction becomes much more of a problem without really nice tires. If you really want more power after that get a good methanol kit and get a retune.

The downside to an NA car is you lose AFM DOD etc, and it does cost drive-ability ultimately. A procharger outside of boost will drive totally like stock. So you basically have oem NA power down low, with a bunch of extra thrust throughout the powerband up from like 3k. And if you need to revert the car from stock, it's easier. And a procharger will be the easiest to install. Bar nitrous or something.

If you don't care about driveability (I want daily drive-able 100%) NA will sound better (exhaust side at least, prochargers do sound pretty nasty with an open BOV), and is cooler. But harder to install.

This question is like asking a bunch of other people if you should get a reach around, head or whatever from your GF. It's pretty pointless what we say. It's your decision, and up to you what you will like. I never understood these threads.
boostednut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 12:32 PM   #34
MemoTRCKSS
Memosanchez22

Drives: 2016Camaro2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostednut View Post
Personally I would pick a pro charger. Just run the canned tune or a conservative tune from a good tuner, throw on some headers and call it a day. On the internet 550whp+ is not fast enough, but in the real world on a street car, it's plenty fast. Like realistically, once you hit 600whp for most places in the country traction becomes much more of a problem without really nice tires. If you really want more power after that get a good methanol kit and get a retune.

The downside to an NA car is you lose AFM DOD etc, and it does cost drive-ability ultimately. A procharger outside of boost will drive totally like stock. So you basically have oem NA power down low, with a bunch of extra thrust throughout the powerband up from like 3k. And if you need to revert the car from stock, it's easier. And a procharger will be the easiest to install. Bar nitrous or something.

If you don't care about driveability (I want daily drive-able 100%) NA will sound better (exhaust side at least, prochargers do sound pretty nasty with an open BOV), and is cooler. But harder to install.

This question is like asking a bunch of other people if you should get a reach around, head or whatever from your GF. It's pretty pointless what we say. It's your decision, and up to you what you will like. I never understood these threads.
yes thats Really my goal 550 WHP so I'm thinking the pro charger is best choice keeping in mind that I will be going E85 I'm sure ill reach that power no problem with this setup
MemoTRCKSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 04:07 AM   #35
wnta1ss

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoTRCKSS View Post
yes thats Really my goal 550 WHP so I'm thinking the pro charger is best choice keeping in mind that I will be going E85 I'm sure ill reach that power no problem with this setup
The stock LT1 fuel system can not handle adding E85 to a Procharger that's making ~550hp on gasoline. To do this you'd need to upgrade the fuel system as well.
wnta1ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 07:41 AM   #36
USAFS197

I legit struggle with this decision every day. I got a 1LE because if the balance, poise and capability. I don’t want to ruin those aspects by going too far with either an all-motor build or by going boost and ruining the weight distribution or end up with a car that can’t get traction when exiting a turn.
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
Sold
Old 03-05-2018, 09:19 AM   #37
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFS197 View Post
I legit struggle with this decision every day. I got a 1LE because if the balance, poise and capability. I don’t want to ruin those aspects by going too far with either an all-motor build or by going boost and ruining the weight distribution or end up with a car that can’t get traction when exiting a turn.
+1 to that. Realistically my 1LE is 99% street driven, so I want to have some fun with it. But I also don't want to ruin it for HPDE events.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:03 PM   #38
JaxChris

Drives: '16 2SS GD1 MX0 NPP F55 IO6
Quote:
That's where I think NA builds also win out. Pushing up HP (and if some can crack it, RPM) without a proportionate increase in TQ will benefit the track crowd better than most boosted solutions will. Going too far over 500rwtq is really detrimental to the driving dynamic unless you really plan out and test some well matched suspension and tire upgrades. I don't care about winning a drag bracket, I want a street car that can attack a track.
JaxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 06:33 PM   #39
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
All my H/C packages have made between 550rw and 590rw. They are also daily driven. I do think the one dyno is on the high side but they have been independently tested as well.

But in Commifornia I would just get a CARB legal PC or Maggi and be done with it. Just deal with the weight and heat. Get the fuel system correct and run E85. Price has shown to be a wash between the two. I though we already had pages of discussion on this exact topic.
Old 03-07-2018, 07:33 AM   #40
USAFS197

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRAY View Post
All my H/C packages have made between 550rw and 590rw. They are also daily driven. I do think the one dyno is on the high side but they have been independently tested as well.

But in Commifornia I would just get a CARB legal PC or Maggi and be done with it. Just deal with the weight and heat. Get the fuel system correct and run E85. Price has shown to be a wash between the two. I though we already had pages of discussion on this exact topic.
I'll be honest, I've been eyeballing your stuff for quite a while but, I live in an awkward spot. I have shops that will install "someone elses' stuff" but, refuse to tune it or warranty it. Another popular shop here on the forums and somewhat locally to me, outright refuses to install anything other than what they procure and only their proprietary stuff when possible. I've brought up TSP parts, your parts, etc., etc. and have been met with a strict policy against it. But they'll charge me literally thousands of dollars for stuff that I didn't even ask for in the build because that's just part of the package.

I'm inclined to stay all motor and keep it simple. A part of me has even considered going with your ported TB/IM/Heads with 2" long tubes, Katech Flywheel and a tune and calling it a day. Problem lies in the last part. No one locally will tune the car with parts they did not provide.
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
Sold
Old 03-07-2018, 08:20 AM   #41
Calubi

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
If you can do the install yourself, remote tuning may be an option.
Old 03-07-2018, 11:13 AM   #42
PRAY

Drives: 2016 2SS
Quote:
I'll be honest, I've been eyeballing your stuff for quite a while but, I live in an awkward spot. I have shops that will install "someone elses' stuff" but, refuse to tune it or warranty it. Another popular shop here on the forums and somewhat locally to me, outright refuses to install anything other than what they procure and only their proprietary stuff when possible. I've brought up TSP parts, your parts, etc., etc. and have been met with a strict policy against it. But they'll charge me literally thousands of dollars for stuff that I didn't even ask for in the build because that's just part of the package.

I'm inclined to stay all motor and keep it simple. A part of me has even considered going with your ported TB/IM/Heads with 2" long tubes, Katech Flywheel and a tune and calling it a day. Problem lies in the last part. No one locally will tune the car with parts they did not provide.
I remote tune. That takes care of that. I have cars down there that I remote tune.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting to install other peoples parts or parts they don't make money on. That just makes business sense. I won't install any parts that I don't port or spec. But I am definitely not warrantying anything. It is a modified part being pushed to it's limit. I could blow up anything if I tried. Don't matter who made it or who tuned it. With that being said, I ALWAYS take care of my customers. So you aren't high and dry if you get my stuff.