Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Members Area > Site Related Announcements / Suggestions / Feedback / Questions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 06-07-2015, 12:16 AM   #29
Merc
In The Circle

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS IOM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Not to mention the PM's I have received and I only manage the V8 Fast List.

Old 06-07-2015, 10:15 AM   #30
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Not to mention the PM's I have received and I only manage the V8 Fast List.

You need an e-mail alert to tell you a PM is in the box..

You're logged on here almost every day. No e-mail should be needed.

I'm not getting any e-mails since mid may and I use a computer 99% of the time, but my phone alerts me to any PM's or even when someone quotes one of my posts through Tap a Talk.
Just load that on your phone and it's all good.
Old 06-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #31
xk49

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT Convertible
I haven't been getting emails for threads I'm subscribed to. Started about a month ago.
Flowmaster Force II Axle back, Kooks LT's and Highflow Cats, Oracle Side Makers, BC Coilovers, E-Force Supercharger, Rotofab Intake, HexVents, ACS T4 Splitter/Rockers/Wind Deflectors, Aeroforce dual pod, Autometer boost/WB analog gauges, MRR M228 20x10 20x11 Nitto Invo 275/315's, CDC Sport Bar, Tuned by Slowhawk Performance.
xk49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 03:53 PM   #32
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
You need an e-mail alert to tell you a PM is in the box..

You're logged on here almost every day. No e-mail should be needed.

I'm not getting any e-mails since mid may and I use a computer 99% of the time, but my phone alerts me to any PM's or even when someone quotes one of my posts through Tap a Talk.
Just load that on your phone and it's all good.
Yes, I always have gotten an email to notify me of a pm. I normally don't get on daily, but now i have to to check for a pm. I try to do most of my camaro5 stuff on my desktop.

I don't do apps on phones either, so I am not loading those either.
Old 06-07-2015, 03:56 PM   #33
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSTWIN View Post
Yes, I always have gotten an email to notify me of a pm. I normally don't get on daily, but now i have to to check for a pm. I try to do most of my camaro5 stuff on my desktop.

I don't do apps on phones either, so I am not loading those either.
Cool... be patient then.

...and really I was just giving Merc crap
Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 PM   #34
TLSTWIN

Quote:
Cool... be patient then.

...and really I was just giving Merc crap
Old 06-10-2015, 08:39 PM   #35
TLSTWIN

It's been two full days.... not fixed yet? (Tongue firmly planted in cheek )
Old 06-12-2015, 06:00 PM   #36
Thalagyrt

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS L99, 2009 CTS-V Sedan
It appears that the forum is sending with a envelope-from domain of www1.camaro5.com which doesn't exist in DNS. 99% of spam filtering solutions out there just outright drop email with a non-resolving envelope-from domain because legitimate mail should be sent from a host that exists in DNS, and this would explain why email's not making it to a lot of people, myself included.

A quick solution would be to add an A record for www1.camaro5.com, since presently that doesn't resolve:

eldenser:~ jriley$ host www1.camaro5.com
Host www1.camaro5.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Also a likely contributor to issues once the forward DNS issue is fixed is the default reverse DNS record:

eldenser:~ jriley$ host 75.126.222.110
110.222.126.75.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 75.126.222.110-static.reverse.softlayer.com.

That's going to score negatively on most spam filters as your from domain doesn't match up with your reverse DNS - would recommend changing it to www1.camaro5.com as well, which whoever owns the Softlayer account can do pretty easily in the SL control panel.

Current situation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66gss3emph...57.32.png?dl=0

Previously when email was being delivered to everyone your envelope-from was coming through as @camaro5.com, which exists in DNS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovx2vaop5l...03.38.png?dl=0
Thalagyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:14 PM   #37
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
^^^ Genius Hire this man

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:52 PM   #38
TLSTWIN

Old 06-12-2015, 11:47 PM   #39
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalagyrt View Post
It appears that the forum is sending with a envelope-from domain of www1.camaro5.com which doesn't exist in DNS. 99% of spam filtering solutions out there just outright drop email with a non-resolving envelope-from domain because legitimate mail should be sent from a host that exists in DNS, and this would explain why email's not making it to a lot of people, myself included.

A quick solution would be to add an A record for www1.camaro5.com, since presently that doesn't resolve:

eldenser:~ jriley$ host www1.camaro5.com
Host www1.camaro5.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Also a likely contributor to issues once the forward DNS issue is fixed is the default reverse DNS record:

eldenser:~ jriley$ host 75.126.222.110
110.222.126.75.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 75.126.222.110-static.reverse.softlayer.com.

That's going to score negatively on most spam filters as your from domain doesn't match up with your reverse DNS - would recommend changing it to www1.camaro5.com as well, which whoever owns the Softlayer account can do pretty easily in the SL control panel.

Current situation:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/66gss3emph...57.32.png?dl=0

Previously when email was being delivered to everyone your envelope-from was coming through as @camaro5.com, which exists in DNS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ovx2vaop5l...03.38.png?dl=0
That looks like a lot of techno-babble to me. However, I don't know very much about anything regarding webdesign so I can't distinguish a word-salad from a legit explanation. I'm going to assume that you know what you're talking about & hope that our admin understands perfectly. If this helps us solve our e-mail issues, I'm sure that you'll be entitled to a free 1 month membership to the entire Camaro5 network*

*includes Camaro5, Camaro6, and Corvette7 websites, restricted to regular member access only (non moderator, non sponsor), offer not valid in Quebec for some reason
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 01:38 PM   #40
Thalagyrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
That looks like a lot of techno-babble to me. However, I don't know very much about anything regarding webdesign so I can't distinguish a word-salad from a legit explanation. I'm going to assume that you know what you're talking about & hope that our admin understands perfectly. If this helps us solve our e-mail issues, I'm sure that you'll be entitled to a free 1 month membership to the entire Camaro5 network*

*includes Camaro5, Camaro6, and Corvette7 websites, restricted to regular member access only (non moderator, non sponsor), offer not valid in Quebec for some reason
Email is a big part of what I've been doing for a living for the past 15 years or so, so I'm pretty confident that this is the root of the issue as I've seen it before plenty of times. Hopefully it helps you guys out, and big thanks to all of you for making this place so great!
Old 06-13-2015, 01:50 PM   #41
mlee
CamaroFans.com

I disabled my spam filters on my personal domain e-mail server and still no e-mail. I know it's being worked and maybe this good info has helped.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:18 PM   #42
Thalagyrt

Quote:
I disabled my spam filters on my personal domain e-mail server and still no e-mail. I know it's being worked and maybe this good info has helped.
Dropping a message that doesn't have a valid sender domain usually happens before any spam filtering can even take place. When the envelope-from header comes in the domain gets looked up and if it doesn't resolve the connection gets dropped before the remote side can even start to send email.

Postfix does this in most default configurations, for example, since the reject_unknown_sender_domain option defaults to enabled in most distributions. Spam filtering happens after a message has already been accepted for processing, which never happens if you drop the connection before the remote side can even send the message. If you're running Postfix (you probably are, it's the most commonly used mail server these days) you likely have reject_unknown_sender_domain enabled, which is going to cause the email to get dropped whether or not your spam filtering is enabled. Most other mail server software out there has the same default behavior because it's a great way to cut out a lot of spam for very little effort.