Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 11-29-2018, 02:17 PM   #29
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazzz View Post
In most cases it’s not the damage that will lower a used cars value but it’s the report. As long as there is no frame damage and the repair is made properly, if there is no insurance claim and it was paid out of pocket it will usually go unnoticed at trade in time. However, if there is a red flag on carfax or autocheck from a reported accident or insurance claim then count on a hit in value. One of the first questions asked on a used car appraisal is was there ever an insurance claim ....
Key words, on a "used car appraisal". You're one of those that fall for the dealer using every excuse to pay less for your trade. Again for those who can't read, the major companies that actually report used car values don't grade off of a fixed repair and to quote the first post, it's not going take a $5000 hit for a door ding from the person talking out of their rear.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:54 PM   #30
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nsxmatt View Post
Key words, on a "used car appraisal". You're one of those that fall for the dealer using every excuse to pay less for your trade. Again for those who can't read, the major companies that actually report used car values don't grade off of a fixed repair and to quote the first post, it's not going take a $5000 hit for a door ding from the person talking out of their rear.

You are twisting my words. The door ding does not cause the diminished value; the accident report does. A future buyer will not know whether the cause was just a door ding or if airbags were deployed. I was suggesting to the OP they he not file a claim to avoid there being a record of the incident and to avoid the hassle of having to explain this to the future buyer of the vehicle.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:19 PM   #31
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burly View Post
I am picky and obsessed about keeping my car nice as possible. I purposely parked the farthest away, dozens of empty spaces around me, as I could and was pissed off that this happened. Their insurance company called me, I only left my phone number. Troll away if makes you feel good.
i also park far away and walk.would be upset if it was my car.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:26 PM   #32
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I wouldn't go through insurance with something as minor as that. It would be under most people's deductible anyway. I'd just get it fixed and have them pay for it.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:15 PM   #33
Chazzz

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 A8 Convertible
Quote:
If someone is in the market for a late model used Camaro and the lot had two that were identical same options mileage and price but one had an accident reported on carfax and the other didn’t which car would the average person buy....
Chazzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 07:12 AM   #34
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
You are twisting my words. The door ding does not cause the diminished value; the accident report does. A future buyer will not know whether the cause was just a door ding or if airbags were deployed. I was suggesting to the OP they he not file a claim to avoid there being a record of the incident and to avoid the hassle of having to explain this to the future buyer of the vehicle.
No, your words just have no facts behind them. For the 3rd time, you're talking out of your rear. The body shop does not report accidents, police reports do. Then they classify the accident by how bad and if the car is drivable. Body shops themselves rarely report to carfax, and IF they do it's classified as "vehicle serviced" and in some cases what was done. Such as "refinish per estimate" or "replaced trim/bumper/mirror". In many cases where the work is under a dollar amount or covered by a general insurance policy it's never reported.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:25 AM   #35
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
If someone is in the market for a late model used Camaro and the lot had two that were identical same options mileage and price but one had an accident reported on carfax and the other didn’t which car would the average person buy....
Since 90% of buyers don't request a carfax they will have no problem selling either for the same price.
Old 11-30-2018, 07:43 AM   #36
Tyl3r

Drives: Camaro 2LT
Quote:
No, your words just have no facts behind them. For the 3rd time, you're talking out of your rear. The body shop does not report accidents, police reports do. Then they classify the accident by how bad and if the car is drivable. Body shops themselves rarely report to carfax, and IF they do it's classified as "vehicle serviced" and in some cases what was done. Such as "refinish per estimate" or "replaced trim/bumper/mirror". In many cases where the work is under a dollar amount or covered by a general insurance policy it's never reported.

Who is talking about body shops reporting??? If the claim goes through insurance, it gets reported. Again, that is why I recommended the OP to avoid going through insurance.
Tyl3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:32 AM   #37
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyl3r View Post
Who is talking about body shops reporting??? If the claim goes through insurance, it gets reported. Again, that is why I recommended the OP to avoid going through insurance.
Make that #4. Insurance does NOT report to carfax. Carfax sometimes will pull from the public insurance database but mainly for salvage, flood, or stolen vehicles. Insurance does NOT report to carfax. Try again.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:50 AM   #38
Chazzz

Regardless if you are selling a used car privately or trading it in, best of luck getting what the book says it’s worth if it has a reported accident. If you choose to sell online Carvana doesn’t even require a picture, but the first question they ask is how many accidents. Even the major auction sites now post accident history....
Old 11-30-2018, 11:56 AM   #39
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Quote:
Regardless if you are selling a used car privately or trading it in, best of luck getting what the book says it’s worth if it has a reported accident. If you choose to sell online Carvana doesn’t even require a picture, but the first question they ask is how many accidents. Even the major auction sites now post accident history....
It's. Not. Reported. As. An. Accident.

Do you all even read?
Old 11-30-2018, 12:11 PM   #40
Chazzz

Though insurance companies do not report directly to CarFax, information regarding claims insurance carriers are involved with, does find it's way into data warehouses to which CarFax has access... As stated in one of my previous posts, I personally would never take a chance on a red flaged history report for something this minor.....
Old 11-30-2018, 10:23 PM   #41
Chazzz

It’s sad that some people are so careless in parking lots. I’m sure most of us have a story to tell, and it really is frustrating when we try so hard to avoid these incidents by parking as far away as possible. It just seems like when you have something nice someone or something is going to find a way to mess it up no matter how hard you try.....