Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 01-31-2023, 07:43 AM   #15
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carzzy View Post
I know on my '21 Blazer AWD, the 20" Michelin All Season Touring tires absolutely "Suck" in the snow and ice! They are more like a Summer tire vs. All Season!
All Season has nothing to do with "Winter" or snow/ice operation, though. This is a huge part of the marketing games being played (what I was describing) as All Season tires are actually not intended to be used in snow.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:45 AM   #16
JamesNoBrakes

Drives: 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saberscar223 View Post
I understand the 1LEs coming with summer only performance tires but why does the base SS? Even the C8 Corvette comes with All Seasons. It’s too cold here (in Texas of all places) for summers and I find my self sliding like I’m on hockey pucks.
So you are going to put AS on there for like 5 days of the year in Texas? Jesus.

Nothing short of studded winter tires would be safe today here in North Texas. It’ll melt on Thursday.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
JamesNoBrakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:47 AM   #17
osubuckeye

Drives: 2016 2LT Gamet Red Tintcoat
Why would GM develop a car that will only be brought in a warm weather climate. I had to eliminate this model for the reason I live in a cold climate.
osubuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:48 AM   #18
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye View Post
Why would GM develop a car that will only be brought in a warm weather climate. I had to eliminate this model for the reason I live in a cold climate.
I believe the folks in Canada would disagree with your assessment that the Camaro will only be bought in warmer climates...
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 07:53 AM   #19
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubuckeye View Post
This is bordering on idiotic.

Do you live at the South Pole or Northern Greenland?

Unless you do, you are going to run summers at least some of the time. What winter/seasonal tires you choose will vary, depending on your climate, from none, to AS, to studded winter. It obviously makes infinitely more sense for GM to leave that up to the customer

And yes, if you are looking for a car to just put AS on and leave it, you should look elsewhere, like an suv or minivan.

Life is too short to not run summer non-runflat tires on a performance car. If you aren’t keeping it in the garage for a few days when you live in Texas or buying a second set of tires/wheels if you want to run it all year, then you need a jeep or something.

Also, RWD with no weight on the rear really sucks, no matter the tires, for any forward acceleration on ice. Ive had several sets of winter tires, including studded, on the snowmaro.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 01-31-2023, 08:38 AM   #20
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
This is bordering on idiotic.

Do you live at the South Pole or Northern Greenland?

Unless you do, you are going to run summers at least some of the time. What winter/seasonal tires you choose will vary, depending on your climate, from none, to AS, to studded winter. It obviously makes infinitely more sense for GM to leave that up to the customer

And yes, if you are looking for a car to just put AS on and leave it, you should look elsewhere, like an suv or minivan.

Life is too short to not run summer non-runflat tires on a performance car. If you aren’t keeping it in the garage for a few days when you live in Texas or buying a second set of tires/wheels if you want to run it all year, then you need a jeep or something.

Also, RWD with no weight on the rear really sucks, no matter the tires, for any forward acceleration on ice. Ive had several sets of winter tires, including studded, on the snowmaro.
I would disagree with that bolded statement as would probably a large number of members on this forum. You know how many people like myself put something like the continental extreme contact dws06 plus AS on and leave it? Why would I purchase 2 sets of tires and swap them out? If the spirited backroad driving I do with my SS works just fine with something like the dws06's...
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 09:36 AM   #21
Wyzz Kydd
Banned

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS1 1LE
I like to be able to drive my Camaro whether it's hot or cold, wet or dry, so I don't use summer tires, even in the summer. The stock tires are bad in the wet and bad when it's cold. When it's wet and cold you might as well be on skates, not that I didn't drive it in both a few times before I wore out the original tires.

If I decide I want summer tires again I'll buy the wheels to go with them and just swap out.
Wyzz Kydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 10:13 AM   #22
JamesNoBrakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzz Kydd View Post
I like to be able to drive my Camaro whether it's hot or cold, wet or dry, so I don't use summer tires, even in the summer. The stock tires are bad in the wet and bad when it's cold. When it's wet and cold you might as well be on skates, not that I didn't drive it in both a few times before I wore out the original tires.

If I decide I want summer tires again I'll buy the wheels to go with them and just swap out.
You are in Georgia, not Maine. Sure, put AS on for winter, but you are losing a lot of road grip by not running a summer in the summer, so it begs why have a high performance car of you cant take advantage of it. Im not saying dont put AS on there, but it should be blatantly obvious why GM puts summer tires on a performance car. If you live in a more extreme environment than Georgia, then AS are poor in the summer AND the winter (below zero), so its the last thing i want speced OEM.

2018 2SS 1LE
2023 Colorado ZR2
2022 Stinger GT-line AWD
Old 01-31-2023, 10:45 AM   #23
jamala00

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS Hyper Blue Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
You are in Georgia, not Maine. Sure, put AS on for winter, but you are losing a lot of road grip by not running a summer in the summer, so it begs why have a high performance car of you cant take advantage of it. Im not saying dont put AS on there, but it should be blatantly obvious why GM puts summer tires on a performance car. If you live in a more extreme environment than Georgia, then AS are poor in the summer AND the winter (below zero), so its the last thing i want speced OEM.
Ya... IDK... I push my SS on spirited back road twisties to the extent of which I'm comfortable. I have the dws06's... I've never ran into an issue with them not performing. Would summer only provide better traction? sure, why wouldn't they... but again... most people are not tracking their Camaros and most people will not out drive a good AS like the dws06 doing spirited back road driving. I'd like to see some numbers on the differences between say the dws06 grip vs a summer only. At what point are you sliding? etc... But just some general statement that says "you are losing a lot of grip". Well yes, you are loosing some grip... but enough to matter for how you use your car?

It's the same argument you see all the time on here about the stock Brembo pads vs something like the PowerStop Carbon Ceramic... Sure the OEM Brembo pads have better stopping power, but for the way most people drive their car?? Most will never out drive the PowerStop Pads...

Now if I was going to track my car at all.. Of course I'd have summer only tires and the OEM Pads...
jamala00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 03:51 PM   #24
Crushin_LT1

Drives: 2021 LT1 6spd
I have the LT1 with the A/S on it stock. truly awful tires. First thing I did was grab a set of summers.
Old 01-31-2023, 04:03 PM   #25
Cmax

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS FIFTY convertible
Perhaps, someone mentioned it, but my speculation is that if Goodyear worked an agreement to develop a run flat grippy tire that helped beat German competition….I applaud it……
Further, I bet that GM agreed to buy the tires through the duration of the builds….
Cmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:37 PM   #26
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmax View Post
Perhaps, someone mentioned it, but my speculation is that if Goodyear worked an agreement to develop a run flat grippy tire that helped beat German competition….I applaud it……
Further, I bet that GM agreed to buy the tires through the duration of the builds….
Agree this makes sense. Particularly the long term agreement. Probably could have done better without the runflat sidewalls, but they had no room for a spare tire. Pick your compromise.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 04:53 PM   #27
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
But still, why not offer all season tire as an option? Probably only a minority would choose it.

The all seasons on my Camaro are great performers, although they are not run flats.

But and but and but, there are all season run flats available in both SS and ZL1 tire sizes.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 06:59 PM   #28
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
But still, why not offer all season tire as an option?
As we all know the days of cherry-picking each and every option are gone. "Packages" or "trim levels" rule. I'm sure there is an analysis of the economics online somewhere.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote