Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 09-28-2016, 07:53 PM   #1
mbavon

Drives: 50 ann. Rs, V6, sunroof, nav, spl
Location: Rochester NY way upstate 3 hours from Toronto on Lake Ontario
Any tips for making all the technology easier to use

I am having a hard time getting used to all the buttons and settings on my car. I spent an hour playing around with things on Saturday and I thought I got a handle on things but didn't. Anybody have tips for the easier using of all the settings and technology in the car? I know I'll probably get used to it with time but I want to take full advantage of what I do have. Thanks in advance.
I love the car but feel I'm not getting all the advantages available.

On a slightly different note...I think I am having one little regret on a car that I absolutely love and is very fun to drive. I should have ordered the dual note exhaust. The v6 does make its growls at certain rpms but it could be better. Tonight I was driving my Camaro around and I come to a light and right in front of me was a 1969 Camaro RS. He probably had after market exhaust but my Camaro sounded a little weak compared to his. So far though I have no other complaints. It has excellent fit and finish.
mbavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 PM   #2
Vectors2Final

Drives: 17' Camaro 2SS 16' Jeep GC SRT
I've always found with any car, is that you read the literature and apply what you learned on your drive. You just have to understand that you're not going to know everything all at once. I've had the car for a month, and I'm still opening up the book.
Vectors2Final is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 08:06 PM   #3
JTChief82

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS/ 2015 Silverado
I think one of the fun parts of getting a new car is spending the time playing with all the cool new bells and whistles.
Old 09-28-2016, 08:31 PM   #4
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Here's what you do. Get a tablet or even a phone and find the owners manual on PDF that's here somewhere. Then go sit in your car and look at every option and pull up the PDF and type in exactly what it tells you that option is. You won't have to scour through the manual because it'll automatically go through PDF keyword search right to that feature. Get a couple beers and take an hour or two, or a little bit each night. This stuff is not hard once you realize what they named that particular function
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 10:19 PM   #5
central limit

Drives: 2016 1LT M6
When it comes to gadgets, my personal approach is to use what you need until you can do so without thinking--in the corporate world, this is referred to as "subconscious competence"--and then experiment with additional features as you go. There's no rush to use everything at once, and new discoveries will keep things fresh over time.

In terms of the exhaust: my past vehicles include a variety of V8s, and yet I personally love the base exhaust on the V6 Camaro. It has just the right amount of burble and refined purr to suit the character of the car, in my opinion. Driving a manual transmission (perhaps an automatic in manual mode--I couldn't say) really brings out the great flavor. The bigger engine and the NPP get well deserved attention, but the LGX experience is absolutely world class.

Even though so many in the enthusiast community are looking for the Camaro to measure up to a certain persona, taken on its own with no preconceptions, it is nothing less than a really, really nice car.
central limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #6
off1c3r

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2LT 50th
As others have said, read the owners manual or the smaller brochure that deals with the infotainment system. Once you read it, it will all seem more familiar when you see it in person. I personally always do vehicle settings first. I check out every single setting and set it to what I like. For example, the mirror position on reverse; I checked and tried each setting to see what I liked best. Once I'm done with all the settings, then I move onto the navigation system. After the navigation, I move onto the next section. I typically start with settings I don't expect to use that often to the items that I use every day.

In my opinion, doing one section at a time without jumping around helps you learn better. Oh, and there's nothing wrong with finding out settings days, weeks, or months after you've owned the car. It makes it fun to learn new things! Check out Subaruwrxfan or SaabKyle04 on youtube. They both have done in-depth reviews of the Camaro 2LT and SS. They go through a lot of the tech.
off1c3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 11:05 AM   #7
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
There are some things that are not properly / fully documented in the manual or the infotainment guide. I went crazy trying to find documentation on Valet mode - more specifically, to find out if valet mode would limit the driving modes or rpm or top speed or other useful things like that. I could only find things it "may" do listed in the infotainment guide, and ended up having to go out and put the car in valet mode and then drive it to test everything.

Just FYI - The unfortunate answer about Valet Mode is it does nothing to the drive modes or to limit performance (or keep anyone from abusing your car). It kills the infotainment system and some of the dash display, that's it.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:21 PM   #8
thickstunalex

Drives: Coming: 2017 Camaro SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashpoint135 View Post
There are some things that are not properly / fully documented in the manual or the infotainment guide. I went crazy trying to find documentation on Valet mode - more specifically, to find out if valet mode would limit the driving modes or rpm or top speed or other useful things like that. I could only find things it "may" do listed in the infotainment guide, and ended up having to go out and put the car in valet mode and then drive it to test everything.

Just FYI - The unfortunate answer about Valet Mode is it does nothing to the drive modes or to limit performance (or keep anyone from abusing your car). It kills the infotainment system and some of the dash display, that's it.
I was wondering about the Valet mode. I remember watching a YouTube video of Valets driving the crap out of people's cars in a parking garage. They said "this is what you get when you only tip $3" I was like "wait...don't you tip AFTER you get the car back????"
thickstunalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
Flashpoint135

Drives: 2016 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by thickstunalex View Post
I was wondering about the Valet mode. I remember watching a YouTube video of Valets driving the crap out of people's cars in a parking garage. They said "this is what you get when you only tip $3" I was like "wait...don't you tip AFTER you get the car back????"
Right. IMO Valet Mode should put the car in ice mode, limit RPMs to2k, and limit top speed to 30 MPH.
Old 09-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #10
KenH.

Drives: 2016 2SS M6 NPP MRC
If valet mode actually limited the performance of my car I might actually let a valet park it, but since it doesn't that's a big nope.

One of my favorite things is the memory seats when using the auto exit feature. When you turn the car off the seat goes all the way back so it's easier to get out. I'm a short guy 5'7" driving a manual car so the cool thing is when you get back in just tap the start button to turn accessories on and it puts your seat back in position, and while I'm waiting for my feet to be able to reach the pedals I have time to put my seat belt on plug in the phone and stow it, take a deep breath to prepare for that awesome cold start rumble and enjoy.
KenH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #11
CapeCruisin
Daily Driver 24/7 365

Drives: '15 CRT 2SS/RS/1LE
adopt a millennial for free* tech support/learning!

*: doesn't include sass
2014 RRM Camaro 1LT/RS A6/NPP CAI
Follow Me On Instagram!
CapeCruisin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 06:35 PM   #12
mbavon

Drives: 50 ann. Rs, V6, sunroof, nav, spl
Location: Rochester NY way upstate 3 hours from Toronto on Lake Ontario
I still love my V6. I do find if you put it in the manual mode there is more growl to the exhaust sound. I have had the car almost 2 weeks and I still get many compliments. I was pleased today. I primarily drive on the expressway for my commute to work and I was getting 29.7 mpgs which is about 1 mpg better than my 2011 Nissan Maxina got and the Camaro has 45 more horses. The active fuel management helps for sure.
mbavon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2016, 07:16 PM   #13
Hyper16
A Heartbeat Away.........

Drives: Not As Fast As I Would Like To
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbavon View Post
I still love my V6. I do find if you put it in the manual mode there is more growl to the exhaust sound. I have had the car almost 2 weeks and I still get many compliments. I was pleased today. I primarily drive on the expressway for my commute to work and I was getting 29.7 mpgs which is about 1 mpg better than my 2011 Nissan Maxina got and the Camaro has 45 more horses. The active fuel management helps for sure.
2016 Hyper Blue Metallic 2SS | A8 | MRC | Sunroof | Nav | Mishimoto Catch Can | GM CAI | Hurst Shifter | Borla S-Type Exhaust | Body Color Splash Guards | 1LE Splitter | GM Dark Tail Lights | ZL1 Third Brake Light | Custom Fuel Door, Badges & Bowties | Oracle Side Markers | Blacked Out Stuff | Opti-Coat Pro+

The problem with this world is stupidity.
I'm not saying there should be penalties for stupidity,
but why don't we just take the warning labels off everything and let the problem solve itself.
Hyper16 is offline   Reply With Quote