Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

View Poll Results: Future of Camaro: V8 Only...?
Yes 39 21.67%
No 141 78.33%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-08-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
vikingrinn

Drives: ZL1/1LE/A10
Question 7th Gen: Large Volume Low/Mid Price Range Front-Engine V8 Muscle Car (2+2 Seater)?

7th Generation Camaro: Large Volume Low/Mid Price Range Front-Engine V8 Muscle Car (2+2 Seater)
8th Generation Corvette: Low Volume High Price Range Mid-Engine V8 Sports Car (2 Seater)

“Customers spoke, and we listened,” said Steve Majoros, director of Chevrolet passenger car and crossover marketing. “The new Camaro LT1 is a great choice for those seeking a pure V-8 performance experience,” said Majoros. “And at less than $35,000, it will be one of the most affordable V-8 performers on the market.”

Last edited by vikingrinn; 05-04-2019 at 04:27 AM.
vikingrinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 07:05 AM   #2
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
V8 only essentially would make the Camaro a Corvette replacement as the Corvette moves to Mid Engine. Losing the volume of the L4 and V6 models simply spreads the development cost across fewer units, driving the cost up.

Although I can't recall seeing the sales breakdown for the models/engines, a V8 only would likely cut a significant volume from Camaro sales.

From a sales perspective, the Camaro is barely out selling the Corvette now.

An by V8 only I assume you are allowing some form of hybrid propulsion as we move further down the road.

So V8 only? I don't see it happening unless the Camaro changes it's mission to something completely different.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:41 AM   #3
yankee

Drives: 2018 Camaro LT RS, 2015 Mazda 3
I think it will be the other way around. We’ll see...
yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:14 AM   #4
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
I can't envision losing the V6. Too good of an engine, and relatively inexpensive "intro" level for budget minded customers.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #5
SecondZ28

Drives: 2013 ZL1
And loose 60% of sales that are 4/6 cylinder?
'87 GN
SecondZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:32 AM   #6
freddyD

Drives: 2020 rally green rs
What the guy above said is true for me.I get slammed every day for buying a v-6,but money is the factor,and now I am buying a house a little far from my work,so for me the 6 is fine.I don,t see the 6 going away but don't see many 4's.
freddyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:40 AM   #7
mdhopt36

Drives: '17- 1ag37 V6 traded, for 1SS 2018!
Fred, don't let it bother you. Saving $10k, and getting such an amazing power plant, is being SMART, especially when taking on a mortgage.
mdhopt36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:48 AM   #8
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondZ28 View Post
And loose 60% of sales that are 4/6 cylinder?
And pick up the percentage of people who don't want or can't afford a mid engine Corvette , Camaro goes for a smaller more profitable market and leave a dying segment may just be that ticket . With the gen 6 Camaro it has already taken steps into the shoes of the Corvette.
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 08:51 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Having owned both, I can tell you that the majority of Corvette people won't consider a Camaro. It's just two different animals.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:18 AM   #10
Gen6_1Le

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1Le
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Having owned both, I can tell you that the majority of Corvette people won't consider a Camaro. It's just two different animals.
I can also tell you the Corvette owners i know are not all behind the mid engine Corvette and would consider an upper level V8 Camaro, and one already have switched . Not everyone is star-struck by the Corvette , i being one . The majority of people that own a Corvette are older 54 - 70 years old and want it because of what it is more then what it can do , there is enough of that market left over that will switch . And that is happening now.
Corvette has been a sealed market that is about to crack open as it goes mid engine and that will open new doors for the Camaro , who knows the mid engine Corvette may finally start to attract a younger buyer .
Gen6_1Le is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #11
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
V8 only essentially would make the Camaro a Corvette replacement as the Corvette moves to Mid Engine. Losing the volume of the L4 and V6 models simply spreads the development cost across fewer units, driving the cost up.

Although I can't recall seeing the sales breakdown for the models/engines, a V8 only would likely cut a significant volume from Camaro sales.

From a sales perspective, the Camaro is barely out selling the Corvette now.

An by V8 only I assume you are allowing some form of hybrid propulsion as we move further down the road.

So V8 only? I don't see it happening unless the Camaro changes it's mission to something completely different.
I would only change one thing about what you’ve noted. The idea of Camaro changing its mission would be much easier handled by adapting something else in the GM portfolio than re-missioning Camaro. If the mission for Camaro changes, Camaro probably dies.

In my opinion, it is much more likely for the V8 to go away than it is for Camaro to be V8 only. And Small Block V8 is NOT going away anytime soon.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 09:36 AM   #12
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen6_1Le View Post
I can also tell you the Corvette owners i know are not all behind the mid engine Corvette and would consider an upper level V8 Camaro, and one already have switched . Not everyone is star-struck by the Corvette , i being one . The majority of people that own a Corvette are older 54 - 70 years old and want it because of what it is more then what it can do , there is enough of that market left over that will switch . And that is happening now.
Corvette has been a sealed market that is about to crack open as it goes mid engine and that will open new doors for the Camaro , who knows the mid engine Corvette may finally start to attract a younger buyer .
There is SOME overlap, but it is a very small overlap. I happen to be part of that small overlap. I have owned Corvettes before and considered a Corvette when I landed on my 2SS vert. I could care less about back seats. They are basically a package shelf for me. Since Vert was Priority 1A and V8 was Priority 1B, ZL1 Vert, and Grand Sport Vert were on my list.

Now, considering Corvette only sells about 30k a year, and as Glen e stated, only a small fraction of those are in that overlap area that would also consider a Camaro, we’re only talking hundreds, not thousands of diversions. No vehicle team is gonna build a business case on that.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:21 PM   #13
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I'm all for it especially if the Camaro takes the place of the Corvette since it's moving to mid-engine. However, I'd offer at least three V8's, the first being a 5.3L (RS?) then an SS 6.2L (or bump to a 7.0-7.2L) then offer the ZL1 supercharged version. If you consider that GM could sell a base 5.3L version for around the same price point as the current V6 (upper 20's) then all V8 may work out.

If the Camaro takes the place of the Corvette, I'd be okay with GM releasing a 4 door sport sedan to take the Camaro's old spot. Offer a V8 version (or two) then a V6/I4 version of that, bring back the Nova name or something to that degree, basically GM's answer to the Charger. I know with the GTO, G8/G8GT/GXP and SS sedan there was a market, but not good enough to keep around though.

Last edited by SDG23; 07-08-2018 at 01:32 PM.
SDG23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:26 PM   #14
USAFS197

Drives: 2018 Audi TT RS
From a volume perspective, I would highly doubt the Camaro would go that route. Even when looking at similar competition from the Mustang, Challenger and Charger, I'd wager to say that the vast majority of their sales are from 4/6cyl offerings. I think we are more likely to see an updated LF4 make its way into the Camaro before we saw an exclusive V8 lineup.
About as fast as the TT RS
2019 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Sold
2018 Camaro SS 1LE
Sold
2019 Corvette Z06
Sold
2021 Charger Hellcat Redeye Widebody
Sold
USAFS197 is offline   Reply With Quote