Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-28-2018, 11:06 AM   #1
Coreymottes

Drives: 2010 ABM 2SS
Need suggestions for painting splitter?

I bought a splitter off eBay and I know it’s polyurethane. I want it a deep gloss black to match the wheels I just got. What paint can I use to get the gloss black look I want without taking it to a professional paint shop?
Coreymottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:31 PM   #2
Terryfied

Drives: 2010 2SS L99
PPG is good paint. You'll want to clear coat it too. An automotive paint store should have what you need. Paint is very expensive and can be tricky to get perfect for an amateur so you might reconsider having a good shop paint it for you. I got my rear spoiler done at a shop for $200 and it's perfect and well worth the cost imho. Either way, good luck with your project and show some pics when you're finished.
Fyi, a pint of silver ice metallic cost me $130 not including reducer, hardener and clear which a friend provided.

Last edited by Terryfied; 02-28-2018 at 01:11 PM.
Terryfied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #3
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
first go to a few shops with part in hand... tell them to just paint it when they have a black car paint job and for $100-$150 cash they will probably paint it within a week or so

being some cheapo ebay part it probably needs lots of prep... including some adhesion promoter (bulldog) and primer. but everything you buy in a rattle can will be single stage and not flexible like 2-stage paint. it might be ok... it might crack and look like crap later.

spraymax makes 2-stage paint you can buy in a can... they have a black 1k paint that you have to clearcoat... that would be as nice as it gets using a rattle can.

for cheap, you could always platidip it for now in flat black and see if that looks nice. can always remove and repaint later. those aftermarket splitters always seem to get destroyed under any contact so be careful.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #4
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Seriously if you want to save a lot of time and money and have the parts come out looking great just go get Krylon Maxx paint spray paint its a primer and gloss all in one... get the clear that goes with it then afterwards give it a few days and polish it out it will look great you will achieve what you're looking for
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 12:55 PM   #5
orange devil
Account Suspended

Drives: 2019 SS 2019 mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
first go to a few shops with part in hand... tell them to just paint it when they have a black car paint job and for $100-$150 cash they will probably paint it within a week or so

being some cheapo ebay part it probably needs lots of prep... including some adhesion promoter (bulldog) and primer. but everything you buy in a rattle can will be single stage and not flexible like 2-stage paint. it might be ok... it might crack and look like crap later.

spraymax makes 2-stage paint you can buy in a can... they have a black 1k paint that you have to clearcoat... that would be as nice as it gets using a rattle can.

for cheap, you could always platidip it for now in flat black and see if that looks nice. can always remove and repaint later. those aftermarket splitters always seem to get destroyed under any contact so be careful.
I just read your post I totally agree with you Krylon two-in-one paint
orange devil is offline   Reply With Quote