Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-24-2017, 05:35 PM   #1
IPT

Drives: '02 Trailblazer, '12 Camaro 2SS/RS
Storage woes, lost tach and stability trac lights on

I live in AK so store the car for the winter. Been busy and despite an early breakup here I just pulled my car out today. it's a 2012 SS/RS. battery struggled a bit to get her started (stored 6 1/2 months) but it did.

I noticed right away the stability trac light was on. Also the traction control doesn't work. I'm not too concerned about that, but at only 5400 miles this shouldn't be happening.

What's more concerning is the Tach reads zero and a few times the car "stumbled". I am guessing I need to bring it in, but figured I'd post here and see if anyone had similar issues or if there was something simple for me to do or look at.
Old 05-24-2017, 05:51 PM   #2
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
Not sure if this has anything helpful for you, but seemed similar. I'd charge it up and check the connectors first and validate the battery first.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=397090

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=437588
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:01 PM   #3
IPT

Thanks for the links.

Looks like the first place to start is the battery. It was tired for sure. I'll also check the plug wires as I have read that can be an issue too. What a pain. Was looking forward to getting it out and driving it, not trouble shooting it :(.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
I feel your pain. Just helped a friend sell his c5. He put 2k miles since 2008 and has been chasing gremlins since last inspection when he started driving it. Sitting seems to cause as many or more problems than driving them unfortunately.

Beautiful car btw.

Edit. Strange timing... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496061
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 07:22 PM   #5
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
How long was it in storage?
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 01:04 AM   #6
IPT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post

Beautiful car btw.

Edit. Strange timing... http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=496061
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
How long was it in storage?

About 6 1/2 months.

I think it was the battery somehow. I drove it for a while because I wanted to charge the battery up knowing it was probably somewhat drained from sitting. It was parked while I was back at work and started this thread. Had no idea what to expect when I went back out to start it. To my surprise and delight the tach jumped up and the Stabli trac lights were off and I could use traction on or off.

My only guess is the battery charged up while driving and solved the issue. Guess I will see if it has really resolved or not over the next few days!

Thanks for the input. You all and this forum rock!
Old 05-25-2017, 06:08 AM   #7
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Invest in a battery tender
Old 05-25-2017, 08:40 AM   #8
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
Low battery voltage will cause all sorts of electrical issues on modern cars, so yes, that was probably your issue.

6.5 months in storage and no battery tender? Keep an eye on the battery. They do NOT like to be drained and you may be looking at a new one soon.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 12:38 PM   #9
IPT

Thanks guys, yeah I figure I probably didn't do the battery any favors.

I did look at a tender then flaked out. This car is stored off site with other residences over it. I got nervous about leaving a tender like the tender Jr on it without me being able to monitor it in any way. I think i read one post and it made me nervous. May be unrealistic though because apparently thousands of others do it without issue.

Any thoughts on that? I also read one post where someone disconnected the Neg terminal just to keep it offline from the cars system, but that seems to defeat the purpose of having the computer maintain power while stored. Or is it really just about having a strong battery once it's hooked up after being stored irregardless of duration?
Old 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM   #10
Swacer

Drives: 2018 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by IPT View Post
Thanks guys, yeah I figure I probably didn't do the battery any favors.

I did look at a tender then flaked out. This car is stored off site with other residences over it. I got nervous about leaving a tender like the tender Jr on it without me being able to monitor it in any way. I think i read one post and it made me nervous. May be unrealistic though because apparently thousands of others do it without issue.

Any thoughts on that? I also read one post where someone disconnected the Neg terminal just to keep it offline from the cars system, but that seems to defeat the purpose of having the computer maintain power while stored. Or is it really just about having a strong battery once it's hooked up after being stored irregardless of duration?
I put mine onto the car, put the car cover over it, and store it for 5 months. Come back, perfectly fine. Been doing this for years.

One time I did store it and would give it a full charge every 2 weeks. Plug in, charged for a day to full, disconnected, repeat 2 weeks later.
Old 05-25-2017, 01:51 PM   #11
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
I use a Battery Tender Jr and it works great! I do the same plug it in my car and remove it when she comes out. Battery is perfect at the first crank.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 09:05 AM   #12
chef-beavis

Drives: IOM 2013 2SS/RS, Greenie, 06 FXSTBi
The problems stem from how low the voltage drops while cranking when you let the battery drain that far. The car is trying to check a whole bunch of parameters while you are starting it. It should straighten out, but you learned to run a tender, I'm sure. No biggie.
chef-beavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:15 PM   #13
Ronn

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I store mine away from home as well. I take the battery out and bring it home to hook the tender up. Remember not to close your trunk unless you want to climb through the backseat.

It's a high school prom, it's a Springsteen song, it's a ride in a Chevrolet...
Ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 10:27 AM   #14
Reichler

Drives: 2004 GTO & 2005 GTO
My Camaro and GTO sit in my garage with a Battery Tender Plus hooked up to them 24/7/365. I don't drive them that much, so keep them tendered while not being driven so the batteries are always maintained.

I can go weeks at a time without going into the garage and never worry about them at all.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote