Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-05-2015, 06:05 PM   #1
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
sad day in the Incredible house, GM buying back my Camaro

after 4 convertible tops in 3 years, and still having issues with the new top that has been on 6 weeks, GM agreed to a buy back of my 2012 Camaro.

CA law is very specific on the formula used for buy back depreciation, and my first complaint about the top was within 2 months of ownership and under 2,000 miles back in 2012. So I am getting nearly full purchase price back, minus about $1000 in mileage depreciation.

I love my Camaro, I love driving it top down and do so every day, however the continued issue and frustration of the rubbing and wearing of the top, the damage caused by the repairs, the new creaking and groaning sounds the top makes, and the fact that I each time the car goes in for the top issues the dealer has it for 3-4 weeks has left me with no choice.

I gave GM and the dealership the full 3/36 to resolve the issue and now past that 3 year mark and still under 30,000 miles and this last replacement creating a whole slew of new issues, including rain leaks, I am done with the Camaro.

---

I am however not ending my relationship with GM, I will be placing an order for a Corvette C7 once the paperwork on the buyback is finalized.

the only question is, should I get a C7 convertible or not?????
Old 10-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #2
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
For me I wouldn't want a convertible. As far as the C7. I like them with the removable carbon fiber roofs

But, that is a personal choice that only you can make. I highly doubt will have the problems that you had with your Camaro. I also thinking the 2016 vert will be much better.

Good luck.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:43 PM   #3
Dizzy82

Drives: 2011 1LT/RS A6 RJT SuperCharged
Not a fan of rag tops. But if it's your spice in life, go for it.
BMR sub frame brace, BMR tunnel brace, LSR sways, LSR CM ca & tl, Sphon ExD el, GM tower brace, Megan EZ Streets, Goodridge Stainless Steel Braided brake lines, PowerStop D/S rotors & pads, Doug Thorty Ceramic Shorties, Magnaflow x-pipe, MRT V2.0, KICKER PowerStage sub & amp, Infinity speakers & tweeters, Viteese Throttle Controller, Viteese Paddle Shifters, ACS T2 Splitter, ACS T2 Ports/Quad LED lights, VDI kit, Havoc diffuser, IPF ECU/TRANS tuned, IPF/KPE Supercharged. 364RWHP/297RWTQ
Dizzy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:44 PM   #4
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
That is one sweet buy back. Only $1000 less purchase price?
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:01 PM   #5
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSuperfly View Post
That is one sweet buy back. Only $1000 less purchase price?
yeah roughly, CA Lemon Law has a formula,

cash price (MSRP) * mileage when issue first reported / 120,000 (120,000 miles as life expectancy of most cars).

so as an example, $42,550 cash price, 2000 miles =

42,550 * 2,000 /120,000 = $709.

buyback price is $42,550 - $709 = $41,841

That is an example, not my actual numbers, but my first report and attempted repair is logged @ under 2,000 miles.

Plus they have to pay me back for all License Registration and any maintenance items I paid for past that 1,786 miles (oil changes, tires, brakes, etc.) that I have qualifying receipts for. This is CA law.

---

As for the convertible C7, this is going to be a big decision for me, my dream car since I was 6 has been a Corvette, my father owned a 1962 Corvette that he sold when I was 6 as he had to get a "family" car.

His was a convertible and it was dad that fired the love of sports and muscles cars in me and I figure at my age this is the last chance I will have to get my dream car. My daughter is going to be driving and going to college in a few years with those expenses buying a top end priced vehicle isn't going to be an option, plus at my age, and with my medical issues (as the result of a motorcycle accident 14 years ago) I don't know how much longer I am going to be able to actually get in and out of a Vette. At least I can drive it for a few years before I have to trade it in for something practical like a wheel chair van.

But with the issues I have had with the Camaro Convertible top I am hesitant. Though it doesn't appear that the Vette's have ever had any real issues with the tops that I can find.

While the Targa top Corvettes are nice, I am not a fan of having to get out of the car to store the top, and I won't park a vehicle without the roof attached because I have seen the damage the CA sun does to interiors.

I will say if the Gen6 Camaros were already out I would consider one, but they will not be available for purchase until Spring, and I can't be without a vehicle that long.. As it stands I am going to have to drive my 20 year old beater for 3 months with the Vette on order.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
classicrockr
Pills are for Pansies

Drives: 2023 2SS Red Hot Vert Camaro
glad you got a good deal. I'm at 86,000 miles & just had 2 water bags in 1 month. First replacement, the upholstery shop didn't do it right. 2d dealership had their upholstery shop do it & said the FIRST one didn't even connect the drain tubes! This is the 4th time I had leak problems related to those damn drain tubes.

The new one won't have this issue - roof rests on top of the rear deck lid so no need for drain system. Even if this repair DID fix the drain tube issue, I'm trading up for the 16 vert ASAP
classicrockr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM   #7
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
glad you got a good deal. I'm at 86,000 miles & just had 2 water bags in 1 month. First replacement, the upholstery shop didn't do it right. 2d dealership had their upholstery shop do it & said the FIRST one didn't even connect the drain tubes! This is the 4th time I had leak problems related to those damn drain tubes.

The new one won't have this issue - roof rests on top of the rear deck lid so no need for drain system. Even if this repair DID fix the drain tube issue, I'm trading up for the 16 vert ASAP

I've had 4 tops, 2 5th bows, and 1 new top motor since 10-2012.

in addition the shop managed to put a screw driver through a speaker, crack/break off the connecting tabs on all but one of the rear seat panels, cause a hydraulic leak in the top motor which caused it to burn up, not sure how they managed to do that, but it occurred the day after I got the car back from the first top repair.

They also managed to scratch my car in several places, curb a wheel, damage a tail light, and break the USB connector in the center console during their repairs (apparently they had an ipod or similar connected and yanked on the cord snapping off the plastic tongue inside the usb connector).

Oh and in trying to be nice and wash and detail the car they sprayed something on my Brembo calipers that caused the powder coat to etch and peel, then they nicely offered to re-powder coat the calipers but didn't assemble them correctly and I blew an o-ring seal on the highway and got brake fluid all over the wheel which caused the clear coat on the wheel to get damaged and peel off.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 PM   #8
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
I never had a problem with the 2011 vert I owned for year and never even had the recall yet could see where the ribs could wear if given time. did a recall to further pad them, and I kept mine covered in sunbrella repellant, and never even bothered with the recall I traded it.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #9
Ruebernard

Drives: 2017 GRT 2SS/RS M6 Vert
I REALLY miss my 2011 vert. Gorgeous car but the top was a sore spot. Should have been declared a flood damaged car with the water it took in after I had the new top installed.

Next convertible will be either a 2017 SS or a C7.

OP, I'm happy they did right by you. I know how much you loved your Camaro but by the sounds of it, you had more than your fair share of grief with it. Congrats on the buy back.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:50 PM   #10
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruebernard View Post
I REALLY miss my 2011 vert. Gorgeous car but the top was a sore spot. Should have been declared a flood damaged car with the water it took in after I had the new top installed.

Next convertible will be either a 2017 SS or a C7.

OP, I'm happy they did right by you. I know how much you loved your Camaro but by the sounds of it, you had more than your fair share of grief with it. Congrats on the buy back.
Thanks.

I still love the car. it's really not the vehicle that soured me, it's the dealership.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 PM   #11
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Interesting.. I really wanted a rag top and now I'm kinda glad it didn't work out for me .. Sorry about the issues.. Given it was mostly the top I think the 5th gen Camaro overall is still a great ride. Hope it works out for you and your satisfied in the end.
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:08 PM   #12

Drives: 15 2SS RS 1LE, 18 Sonic LT, Z71
Looks like the price of the 2016s just went up...
1110110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:04 PM   #13
Jackass
Doing what I like to do

Drives: 1963 Landrover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
after 4 convertible tops in 3 years, and still having issues with the new top that has been on 6 weeks, GM agreed to a buy back of my 2012 Camaro.

CA law is very specific on the formula used for buy back depreciation, and my first complaint about the top was within 2 months of ownership and under 2,000 miles back in 2012. So I am getting nearly full purchase price back, minus about $1000 in mileage depreciation.

I love my Camaro, I love driving it top down and do so every day, however the continued issue and frustration of the rubbing and wearing of the top, the damage caused by the repairs, the new creaking and groaning sounds the top makes, and the fact that I each time the car goes in for the top issues the dealer has it for 3-4 weeks has left me with no choice.

I gave GM and the dealership the full 3/36 to resolve the issue and now past that 3 year mark and still under 30,000 miles and this last replacement creating a whole slew of new issues, including rain leaks, I am done with the Camaro.

---

I am however not ending my relationship with GM, I will be placing an order for a Corvette C7 once the paperwork on the buyback is finalized.

the only question is, should I get a C7 convertible or not?????
Some people seams to never learn the lesson , go ahead and get that convertible , and chances are that you will be saying to yourself , not again , I'm a Jackass !!!
Jackass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:14 PM   #14
Lil' Nasty
[COTW 4/13/15]

Drives: Supercharged LLT
my dad has the removable carbon fiber roof on his vette and I think its a good mix between a vert and a hard top.