Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #15
SuperSport213

Drives: 2011 SS LS3
Thanks I will try to have them re balanced tomorrow, I am sure of one thing if anybody drove my car...they would notice it. You can visually see the steering wheel shimmying back and forth between the mph "shake zone".
Old 08-24-2015, 08:57 PM   #16
JewelSS
Norcal Camaros

Drives: 2010 Red Jewel 2SS L99
Just a thought here as looks like you have had a rough go at this. Since you went from old (guessing bald) tires to new tires with lots of tread, maybe just the feel of the ride is now different? All tires will feel different do to the tread pattern. But either way you know your car better than anyone else so good luck. Just my .02
Blaque Diamond Wheels BD23's 20x10, Hankook V12 275, AAC footwell lighting, Switchback LED's, AAC Mailslot scanner, AAC underhood, grill & underbody led lighting, AAC Plasma fogs, Eagle eye HIDs, RJT Painted calipers, RJT painted engine bay, Viteese Paddle Shifters, CFD Hurst style Shifter, RJT painted speedo & gauge trim, RotoFab CAI, TSP 2" Headers with full 3" XS Power exhaust, Granatelli Slotted rotors & Hawk HPS pads, ACS Side Rockers, ACS Front splitter, ZL1 Grill, Havoc Rear diffuser, BMR 1.4 Springs, BMR Strut tower brace, BMR F/R Sway Bars, BMR Trailing Arms,
JewelSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 PM   #17
jasonsk287

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelSS View Post
Just a thought here as looks like you have had a rough go at this. Since you went from old (guessing bald) tires to new tires with lots of tread, maybe just the feel of the ride is now different? All tires will feel different do to the tread pattern. But either way you know your car better than anyone else so good luck. Just my .02
That's an interesting idea...especially since I've had the tires rebalanced at two different places twice...
jasonsk287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 11:20 PM   #18
SuperSport213

Drives: 2011 SS LS3
Well mine is in no way normal..I am new to Camaro but not to high performance cars (owned 13 Mustangs prior). Mine was side to side shaking with the old tires then put new ones on and still shaky..Note: the car did not shake when I bought it 38k miles now at 49k miles shake,shake,shakey wheel. I have not hit anything or damaged and parts.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:39 AM   #19
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
When shops put wheels on some of them use air impacts that torque from 250lbs up to 1000lbs. Although the 250-400lbs impact is more common. Usually a wheel torques spec is around 80-100lbs. The old impacts didn't have the higher torque of the newer ones and most wheels where steel. This has caused problems more lately over the years and people are becoming more aware of over torquing the lugs. The over torquing of the wheel causes the rotor to warp and the car to shimmy especially when braking. Took me 2 years as many vehicles and three sets of tires at the wrong shop to figure it out. Of course the shops not owning it.
Recommendation when installing wheels especially newer style lighter ones always use a torque wrench not an impact.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:42 AM   #20
Tajefe Couple

Drives: Never just fly under the radar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSport213 View Post
Well mine is in no way normal..I am new to Camaro but not to high performance cars (owned 13 Mustangs prior). Mine was side to side shaking with the old tires then put new ones on and still shaky..Note: the car did not shake when I bought it 38k miles now at 49k miles shake,shake,shakey wheel. I have not hit anything or damaged and parts.
Solution is usually new or turned rotors and sometimes wheels.
I have only had one occasion where re-balancing under load helped but did not completely fix the issue.