Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-02-2013, 12:38 AM   #15
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
Well good news is I live in the same house (basement apartment) as my sister, and we work at the same place. I'll probably just have to get up a half an hour earlier than I normally do and ride into work with her. Did that this morning. Which is fine, but I am not a morning person at all. -_-

I guess the bright side of things is it is winter, and I hate going outside if I don't have to. If this was the middle of the summer, and I wasn't allowed to drive my Camaro for a week, I think I would go insane!
Old 02-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #16
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Yes it has been crazy cold these past few days. I was pretty happy with my car being able to turn over without issues during the brute of it. I was not expecting to have power steering issues due to the cold weather though! Tomorrow morning I'm going to head back up to work and see if I I have any power steering left. If not, I'll be calling the chevy number to get me a tow truck and tow it to the dealership.

I imagine my dealership will have to order the part in also. Hopefully by the end of next week I can drive her again. :( I'm driving my sister's 2012 charger for the time being, which is great she's lending me it while they're away, but it's not the same by any means. Just makes me sad driving it and not my car!
It will be okay! Don't be sad. Let us know how the repair goes. We are here if you have any questions as always!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service
Old 02-06-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
Jalberdi99

Drives: 2014 Summit White 2SS/RS M6
to early to start reading this much text.
Old 02-06-2013, 02:43 PM   #18
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
It will be okay! Don't be sad. Let us know how the repair goes. We are here if you have any questions as always!

Brandon
Thanks Brandon.
I dropped off my car Saturday and ended up getting it back Monday. On Monday, within a couple hours of the service dept. being open they called me to let me know my car was fixed. It was the return line hose that popped off. They didn't order anything or use the winterized power steering fluid like the TSB outlines, so we'll see if I have anymore issues when it gets really cold out again. I hope not. But she's back to normal!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM   #19
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN sui View Post
Thanks Brandon.
I dropped off my car Saturday and ended up getting it back Monday. On Monday, within a couple hours of the service dept. being open they called me to let me know my car was fixed. It was the return line hose that popped off. They didn't order anything or use the winterized power steering fluid like the TSB outlines, so we'll see if I have anymore issues when it gets really cold out again. I hope not. But she's back to normal!
That's great news! I am sure your sister is happy to have her vehicle back as well.

Glad service went smoothly.

Brandon
Old 02-07-2013, 08:42 PM   #20
bryank2000

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS A6
Brandon- cool of you to show interest, but odd that you'd seemingly overlook the glaring mention of the service dept neglecting to follow the tsb.. not the first time something like this was mentioned in this thread. Just my two cents..
bryank2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 AM   #21
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryank2000 View Post
Brandon- cool of you to show interest, but odd that you'd seemingly overlook the glaring mention of the service dept neglecting to follow the tsb.. not the first time something like this was mentioned in this thread. Just my two cents..

Bryank2000, Well said - exactly right on.
Blakk11SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:08 PM   #22
SPARTAN sui
PC Technician

Uh okay guy. Start a new thread, this is not the same issue as you're having. Also takes caps lock off.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #23
Blau camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: #1 CAMARO FAN
Time for GM to switch all cars to electro-mechanical power steering!
Blau camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:38 PM   #24
celeritas

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
thanks for posting this online. Just a week ago, the temperatures fell to -30, -40 windchill here in winter peg. anyway remote started the car, and guess what? it was spewing sludge Slurpee like fluid under the front end of the vehicle with a distinct smell. yellowish with white gel.

Turns out it was the lower return power steering hose. the hose was in excellent condition except for a single pinhole leak, After reading this and other stuff online, Its clear the fluid froze and expanded the hose which caused it to get stuck at one of the hose to frame clamps and further forced stretched the hose at that point, to the point it gave out in a pinhole of pressure release.

I wouldn't have know about this cold climate steering fluid or the TSB? or Recalls? I ended up ordering the part and cold climate fluid, replaced it myself, 2 hour job. Works fine so far. The dealer didn't mention anything about a TSB or recalls or anything for that matter to do problems related to the car. I will look for the TSB, see if it possible to get a refund for the return hose and or fluid. Thanks for informing the rest of the world.

Make sure if you live in Canada, to get a cold climate power steering fluid flush. (it will be partially or full synthetic)

This was the part that failed.
http://www.gmpartswholesale.ca/chevr...&recommended=1

Thanks for the helps guys, oh yah, had to mention, nice cars guys!
celeritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 10:29 PM   #25
Blakk11SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by celeritas View Post
thanks for posting this online. Just a week ago, the temperatures fell to -30, -40 windchill here in winter peg. anyway remote started the car, and guess what? it was spewing sludge Slurpee like fluid under the front end of the vehicle with a distinct smell. yellowish with white gel.

Turns out it was the lower return power steering hose. the hose was in excellent condition except for a single pinhole leak, After reading this and other stuff online, Its clear the fluid froze and expanded the hose which caused it to get stuck at one of the hose to frame clamps and further forced stretched the hose at that point, to the point it gave out in a pinhole of pressure release.

I wouldn't have know about this cold climate steering fluid or the TSB? or Recalls? I ended up ordering the part and cold climate fluid, replaced it myself, 2 hour job. Works fine so far. The dealer didn't mention anything about a TSB or recalls or anything for that matter to do problems related to the car. I will look for the TSB, see if it possible to get a refund for the return hose and or fluid. Thanks for informing the rest of the world.

Make sure if you live in Canada, to get a cold climate power steering fluid flush. (it will be partially or full synthetic)

This was the part that failed.
http://www.gmpartswholesale.ca/chevr...&recommended=1

Thanks for the helps guys, oh yah, had to mention, nice cars guys!

Greetings celeritas - Good to hear the info helped, and that your repair went well. That extreme cold you get up North is really brutal. We just had -25F. here last weekend, i did not start the Camaro that day, just too cold. The repair on mine has held well, its been a few years already. Thanks for the compliments too. Welcome to Camaro5. see you around
Old 12-22-2016, 05:18 AM   #26
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
wow...im sitting at my computer desk and its 50 outside and im feeling cold just reading this post.hope your weather gets better,thats crazy cold.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:57 PM   #27
Blakk11SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcoats1976 View Post
wow...im sitting at my computer desk and its 50 outside and im feeling cold just reading this post.hope your weather gets better,thats crazy cold.

Hello there redcoats1976 -
50 degrees sounds great! The weather has improved here slightly, it made it to 40F yesterday so I broke out the bucket & hose to wash the Camaro. I was able to wipe it dry before the water drops froze lol.

Have a nice holiday there in FL
Old 02-16-2019, 06:40 PM   #28
turbowner

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
My hose blew off when temps were in the 20's fahrenheit for about a week. It does not have to be extremely cold!

My advice to everyone is to be proactive and replace your power steering fluid with the cold climates stuff before it happens to you.
turbowner is offline   Reply With Quote