Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 11-29-2016, 09:43 AM   #1
Junior

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS A6 AGM
Send a message via Skype™ to Junior
RS HID Headlight Issue

Morning guys. I have tried to find an answer regarding my HID Headlight issue, but haven't been able to here. I've read similar issues, but not the same. My current problem is with my driver's side OEM RS HID headlight (not the Halo). I typically use the auto headlight function, so I almost never touch the headlight dial. That being said, I noticed last night that my driver's side headlamp was out. I noticed this as I was at a red light behind a truck where I could see both headlamp reflections very easily. My passenger's side headlamp was fine, and both halos were fine. I instinctively turned off my headlights, and turned them back on. The driver's side came back on, though it had a pinkish tint to it, and was noticeably dimmer than the passenger's side lamp. When I got home, i got out and saw the same thing. I googled for a possible answer, but could not find anything. This morning, I experienced the same exact thing. Dead lamp until i turned off all lights, then turned them back on. And again, the driver's side lamp was pinkish and dim. I am still under my bumper to bumper warranty, but it's getting very close. Does this sound like a ballast, or circuit board? If so, thoughts on warranty coverage? I know bulbs aren't covered, but to me it doesn't feel like a bulb thing. Any thoughts?
Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 09:31 AM   #2
WheelMan69

Drives: 2015 SS/A6
Take it in and make sure the light is out man, If you still have bumper to bumper let them handle it!

*VMAX Throttle Body
*Speed-Engineering Headers / No Cats
*Catted Magnaflow X-Pipe
*BMR Toe Rods
*BMR Xtreme Ant-Roll Kit
*BMR Trailing Arms
*CAI Cold Air Intake
*TUNED BY JAY @ KRAFTSWORKS EXCELL
WheelMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:32 PM   #3
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Morning guys. I have tried to find an answer regarding my HID Headlight issue, but haven't been able to here. I've read similar issues, but not the same. My current problem is with my driver's side OEM RS HID headlight (not the Halo). I typically use the auto headlight function, so I almost never touch the headlight dial. That being said, I noticed last night that my driver's side headlamp was out. I noticed this as I was at a red light behind a truck where I could see both headlamp reflections very easily. My passenger's side headlamp was fine, and both halos were fine. I instinctively turned off my headlights, and turned them back on. The driver's side came back on, though it had a pinkish tint to it, and was noticeably dimmer than the passenger's side lamp. When I got home, i got out and saw the same thing. I googled for a possible answer, but could not find anything. This morning, I experienced the same exact thing. Dead lamp until i turned off all lights, then turned them back on. And again, the driver's side lamp was pinkish and dim. I am still under my bumper to bumper warranty, but it's getting very close. Does this sound like a ballast, or circuit board? If so, thoughts on warranty coverage? I know bulbs aren't covered, but to me it doesn't feel like a bulb thing. Any thoughts?
Hi Junior,

I am sorry to hear you’re experiencing this headlight concern with your Camaro and recognize how this may be frustrating. I see that you are seeking advice from other forum members, however, feel free to reach out to us should you decide to visit your dealership. We would be more than willing to help facilitate an appointment on your behalf! Please be sure to include your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and preferred dealership in your message if you would like our assistance.

Best,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:47 PM   #4
chuckie669

Drives: 2011 ss
My hid always start out dim and seem to brighten as they are on.
Maybe because one is warmed up is the difference in color.

The light not coming on is your problem. My vote is to have the ballast looked at.
chuckie669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:49 AM   #5
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Hi Junior,

I am sorry to hear you’re experiencing this headlight concern with your Camaro and recognize how this may be frustrating. I see that you are seeking advice from other forum members, however, feel free to reach out to us should you decide to visit your dealership. We would be more than willing to help facilitate an appointment on your behalf! Please be sure to include your full contact information, current mileage, VIN, and preferred dealership in your message if you would like our assistance.

Best,

Julie C
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks Julie. I have already made an appointment with my local dealer's service center.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckie669 View Post
My hid always start out dim and seem to brighten as they are on.
Maybe because one is warmed up is the difference in color.

The light not coming on is your problem. My vote is to have the ballast looked at.
I am leaning towards the ballast myself. I have an appointment set up for next Saturday to take it in. I hope to have a positive update after that.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:53 PM   #7
Stewart

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS RS & Ground effects
Quote:
Thanks Julie. I have already made an appointment with my local dealer's service center.
Junior,
I know this is not the problem you are having but I had a problem with my GPS/Nav. It showed my location as Detroit MI I live in NJ and a "CAL" message on my heads up. I posted it here and received a message from Julie (Chevrolet Customer Care ) similar to the one that she sent you. I too had already made an appointment at the dealer. Julie really came through for me by talking to the dealership's service manager and expediting the whole process. She really helped me out from start to finish. I would contact her again for any future problems, she is definitely a first class person.

MY BUILD LINK: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484260
Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 12:28 AM   #8
Blakk11SS

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Hello Junior, When the HID bulb lights up with a pink or red hue, it is time for a new HID bulb. I had a bulb go out last week with the same look. Don't let the dealership charge you the "parts dept" $300 msrp on the replacement HID bulb(s). You can get a much better price online ($80 for a set) - or at a parts store for (less than $100 each). make sure you match up the color/brightness K#### value.

Old 12-02-2016, 10:55 AM   #9
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakk11SS View Post
Hello Junior, When the HID bulb lights up with a pink or red hue, it is time for a new HID bulb. I had a bulb go out last week with the same look. Don't let the dealership charge you the "parts dept" $300 msrp on the replacement HID bulb(s). You can get a much better price online ($80 for a set) - or at a parts store for (less than $100 each). make sure you match up the color/brightness K#### value.

I would imagine if a bulb goes out, it goes out. Mine still comes on every time I turn the lights on...then goes out. Thanks for the heads up on the $80 set of bulbs. I found them, and am toying with the idea of swapping both bulbs out for 6000k. I'll keep my service appointment and let them figure out if it's the bulb or ballast, then move on from there. Still not sure if the ballast is covered by warranty.
Old 12-21-2016, 02:23 PM   #10
Junior

Just reporting back. The issue was indeed the bulb. I ordered a 5000k replacement set from Diode Dynamics.
Old 12-29-2016, 08:33 AM   #11
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Thank you for providing us with this update, Junior! We're glad to hear your concern has been diagnosed, and that the replacement parts have been ordered. If you do come across any other questions or concerns in the future, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Have a great day,

Angela O.
Chevrolet Customer Care