Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 08-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #99
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmoZL1 View Post
My point exactly. All the negative crap on this site gets to me. Problems? Sure. Share them. Get solutions. To put down this or that is simply NEGATIVE. To call someone who doesn't even drink "drunk" or cast some aspersions on a stereotypical "haircut" worn by someone less educated or fortunate is "wrong" So is pointing out someones misspelling as I have shown. Negative. I simply wanted to point out the ludicrous nature of personal attacks. I can read an opinion of anyone who disagrees with me. Couldn't resist this fellow attempting to use his "superior" intellect to show how smart he is. I apologise to all the readers for my negative post.
Dude I got the whole picture of you...thanks for painting it all Picasso like . You are obviously the wanna be Army Ranger "high and mighty" all american reject. You didn't even get my original post so I won't bother with you anymore, some people just can't get it. My original statement was not an attack on GM or even on your retarded a$$. I simply said the money on this car was focused on the engine, maybe not necessarily the highest quality CARBON FIBER components for the hood, so if one understands that they may not be so ANAL about their ZL1 and actually enjoy driving it.

But thanks for adding your name to my $hit list on this forum (hey you're the only one too!) glad to see you just joined this year ...hopefully this forum isn't diluted with people like you making assinine comments and attacks before actually reading & comprehending members' posts. Glad you read through my whole rant too and decided to pick out one word...I didn't bother going back to spell check as I didn't feel YOU were worth that extra time but I can assure you my level of education far exceeds your GED...; probably explaining why I'm able to afford a ZL1 at 27 years old and you probably saved all your pennies from the Army over 20 years to afford this beast. In any case, as bad a$$ as the ZL1 is, I doubt you are some Randy Pobst on a track, so keep your mouth shut. We all love our ZL1's that's why we bought one, obviously. But that doesn't mean we can't pick out things we dislike and that doesn't mean our cars will smoke EVERYTHING we put it up against...(e.g. GTR, GT500, etc.). I'm glad you stand behind your ZL1 but don't be overly confident making statements like "I'd put my ZL1 up against any car made today" because you do sound uneducated and immature...remember it's not what you say it's how you say it that counts.

For the record I never claimed to be superior than others in intelligence or knowlege; sure I have some knowledge on topics and consider myself very intelligent (USC MBA grad student) but we all come to this forum to learn more. My original comment wasn't even displaying such haughty character trait so quite frankly I'm perturbed by why you would even write that sentence . I (unlike you) ordered my ZL1 back in Oct. 2011, and joined the forum simultaneously, thereby acknowledging that I was on the ZL1 bandwagon WAY before you "Mr. 2013", so please quit trying to be BIG Mr. Tough guy on this forum before you get us both discharged--capiche?

P.S. Please buy a better camera phone and fix that grainy a$$ photo in your signature, you might wanna grammar check your comments too Mr. Adrenaline junky "BUT?"

Last edited by IcePick06; 08-01-2012 at 01:59 PM.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM   #100
AZ-ZL1
Dry Heat My @ss

Drives: 2012 ZL1 SUMMIT WHITE
Man, this entire thread has been so blown out of proportion it's almost laughable.

Way too much hoopla and negativity over a MINOR issue that will be taken care of.
AZ-ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:29 PM   #101
IcePick06

Drives: '12 AGM ZL1 (SOLD); '07 Ducati 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-ZL1 View Post
Man, this entire thread has been so blown out of proportion it's almost laughable.

Way too much hoopla and negativity over a MINOR issue that will be taken care of.
put the pedal to the floor, drive the damn car, enjoy your PERMAGRIN and don't sweat the "little things"...that's all I was trying to say. If you have a MAJOR issue take it to the dealership, but the few minor issues that I have experienced (as well as others) I won't make a huge fuss about because this car isn't an AMG mercedes benz "black series"...whatever you read from that comment is fine, but most sane, mature, car enthusiasts will understand what I mean when I make such a comment
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 02:32 PM   #102
cosmoZL1

Drives: 2017 ZL1 "Scarlett", 6 spd. Coupe
Agreed. Give someone a keyboard an he's all man. Ready to sling criticism but can't do anything but resort to name calling and school yard rants. Have to reply with garbage lest they get percieved for their true self. Again, my apologies for being negative.
Old 08-01-2012, 02:48 PM   #103
sspddmn

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE and 1991 Z28
G-Oil, I have the same issue. On mine it looks just like yours but I can't feel the crack with my fingernail or anything. Can you feel it on yours? Mine looks like yours but I know if I take it to the dealership they are going to tell me its a blemish because they cant feel the crack.

On another note...wow, reading the last couple pages is like a soap opera.

Last edited by sspddmn; 08-01-2012 at 02:59 PM.
sspddmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:23 PM   #104
Butcher

Drives: '03 MY/MR Z06, '09 Sliver/Red G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazorZL1 View Post
Why would they be throwing away 60-70% because of the cost. I have been in the fibre industry since 85 and have never seen a part just pop out of the mold ready for sale, your info sir is just not right. I know sinks are different then car parts but each sink we make has at least an hour of work once it pops off the mold and it is basic compared to the ecf insert.

I'm saying that there must be a lot of "flawed" ECF inserts. They can't use flawed inserts, so they are scrapped. That amount of waste would explain the ridiculous cost of the ECF inserts.

When you start making ECF parts for cars, please let me know how you do it. I have a race car with a lot of carbon fiber parts on it, including the entire body. While building the car, I talked to several manufacturers about making some pieces for my car. They all told me the same story about the difference between making the two types of carbon fiber. All of the manufacturers I talked to told me that there is no "finishing work" done to their ECF parts, with the exception of trimming the edges. And all of my ECF pieces are show quality.

Just out of curiosity, what does the mold for your sinks look like? All of the people I talked to said that there was a huge difference in the molds for the two types of carbon.
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 03:38 PM   #105
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspddmn View Post
G-Oil, I have the same issue. On mine it looks just like yours but I can't feel the crack with my fingernail or anything. Can you feel it on yours? Mine looks like yours but I know if I take it to the dealership they are going to tell me its a blemish because they cant feel the crack.

On another note...wow, reading the last couple pages is like a soap opera.
sspddmn; yes you can feel the grooves on the two larger cracks. The ones that are hairline thick you cant feel anything.

Post some pics if you can.

Thanks for adding to the list. We now have 3 out there.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:48 AM   #106
razorz28

Drives: 2017 Jeep Rubicon, 2016 Z06
There are many different types of molds, if it is a low production piece we use fiberglass and gel coat which is inexpensive but still at least a grand for the mold. If we are using a high volume piece we will use stainless steel or even a block of aluminum and have it CNC'd for precision. I have seen molds that cost over 100 grand that have water cooling and heating that prevent the cracks that I have been reading about in this thread. Once the parts are removed we always trim, sand, polish, fill. By no means is our facilty state of the art and I am sure there are processes that I do not know about, but I can say the problems are happening in the curing process. They are either not releasing from the mold as they cool or they are being moved off the mold too soon. I cannot wait to get my car so I can see what is going on.

I had my CAD guy do a drawing of an insert that I might make as a back up for my car and put the original away as they wont look that good in 10-15 years IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
I'm saying that there must be a lot of "flawed" ECF inserts. They can't use flawed inserts, so they are scrapped. That amount of waste would explain the ridiculous cost of the ECF inserts.

When you start making ECF parts for cars, please let me know how you do it. I have a race car with a lot of carbon fiber parts on it, including the entire body. While building the car, I talked to several manufacturers about making some pieces for my car. They all told me the same story about the difference between making the two types of carbon fiber. All of the manufacturers I talked to told me that there is no "finishing work" done to their ECF parts, with the exception of trimming the edges. And all of my ECF pieces are show quality.

Just out of curiosity, what does the mold for your sinks look like? All of the people I talked to said that there was a huge difference in the molds for the two types of carbon.
razorz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #107
HiroProX

Drives: 2012 ZL1(KARR), 2012 SS Conv (KITT)
Mine on my 2012 with 7000+ miles looks fine, but I'll keep an eye on it.
HiroProX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:48 AM   #108
G-Oil Guy
Where am I?

Drives: Zoe the ZL1, 2012 Frontier
My issue was elevated yesterday to regional level without me requesting it.

I was contacted and told to expect a phone callin Monday as they spend today and Friday gathering info and potential paths forward. I will keep you guys up to date
Old 08-29-2012, 11:04 AM   #109
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
So my ECF replacement insert FINALLY came in and was replaced yesterday. Was kind of a huge nightmare dealing with the people I got my car from though. First off they called me last week and said the part was in and to bring my car in anytime and I could just wait for them to replace it, shouldn't take more than 20-30 min they said.

So I got there and waited, and waited, and waited, then finally the service manager comes out and tells me that they are still awaiting authorization from GM to do a warranty claim on the $4K part. Told me they wanted to make sure that it was going to get approved so they didn't have to charge me for the part. Charge me for the part, lol, right, that's about the time I went off on them, I told him that the part was ordered over 3 weeks ago so they have had more than enough time to get all the warranty details straighted out with GM. Told him they shouldn't have called me to have me come in expecting the work to be done when instead they just wasted 1.5hrs of my time and now I still had to come back again for this work. I was made to feel like I was at fault for the damage. Eventually I did thank them for making sure that there would be no attempt to charge me for the part before doing the work. Obviously they would have never got $4K from me for a $1K part. I would have told them to just give me my old insert back.

Eventually they did finally get the claim approved this week. From the sounds of it, it was through a Customer Enthusiasum program, or something like that. Pretty much sounded like a thing GM can do to keep someone happy that just paid $60K+ for a car. Sounds like the GM engineers didn't believe that the part was actually defective. Either way I guess things are good with it now. We inspected the part and all the areas of the hood near it to make sure all looked well after install. Hopefully that's the last time I have to deal with the ECF hood insert.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #110
Joco28

Drives: Black 2012 ZL1 #1772
Found this on my 2012.... Can't feel any texture, seems to be under clear coat... is this bad news?
Attached Images

Joco28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
damaged insert, defects, exposed carbon fiber, insert cracked