Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 07-15-2018, 07:10 AM   #15
SJFGTO
Oh Oh it's Friday Night!

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE Nightfall Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrio Andretti View Post
Octane is the fuels resistance to detonation. That’s it! Nothing more. The higher the number the more resistant to detonation. Did you get a knock amp and count the number of times the ecu pulled timing on you when using 91 octane? Your story is anecdotal and without any factual info. Not to mention that it sounds completely ridiculous.
^^^ Right on the money.
2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE NFG; ARH 2” headers, catless mids, ARH full exhaust, Lingenfelter 18% lower pulley, ATI Harmonic Balancer, Roto-fab CAI, EE-catch can, TM ported TB, NX Lid, BMR strut tower brace. Aeroforce dual pod interceptor gauges. Tuned by Vengeance Racing!!! 644 HP @ 6250 rpm / 689 trq @ 3660 rpm

Four that wanna own me
Two that wanna stone me
One says she's a friend of mine...
SJFGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:31 AM   #16
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Octane is the fuels resistance to detonation. That’s it! Nothing more. The higher the number the more resistant to detonation. Did you get a knock amp and count the number of times the ecu pulled timing on you when using 91 octane? Your story is anecdotal and without any factual info. Not to mention that it sounds completely ridiculous.
Yea no duh. What's this, like, beginner's engines 101? Come on dude. Don't sit here acting all pretentious. If you wanna use 91 octane and if that is what you recommend then tell it to OP and go about your business. But I don't need your little spiel on "octane is the fuel's"...blah blah blah. Use that garbage in your engine if you want. If you granny drive then you'll be fine. Put that crap in and do some spirited driving and watch your engine blow to kingdom come. All for being cheap and not wanting to spend a few cents more on what you should be putting in the tank in the first place. And for the record, I gave an account of my experiences with it. And I even went on to say that it could have just been the gas out here in NJ. So stop acting like a know-it-all douchebag. Because you don't know, and your advice on 91 octane sound just as ridiculous to me as my "story" sounds to you.

And I don't need "factual information". What, you think I sit around testing every gas station's fuel and datalogging every time I fill up? That is the dumbest shit I ever heard. OP asked advice and I gave that. BTW, do YOU have data to back up your nonsense? Then STFU bro.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #17
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Why do I even comment on these threads? Use 91 octane if you want. Sure, you'll be fine. In fact, use 89, 87, 85, diesel, water, whatever. It's not my car, not my engine, not my money, and not my problem.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #18
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
I will use 94 since I am lucky enough to have access to it.
The cost difference is minimal for a 80k$can car.

Manual is indeed pretty clear.
Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #19
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Why do I even comment on these threads? Use 91 octane if you want. Sure, you'll be fine. In fact, use 89, 87, 85, diesel, water, whatever. It's not my car, not my engine, not my money, and not my problem.

Man, I'll never forget when I had my Z06. I cheaped out one day and added 89 to save some money. Blew both converters out. Spent $1500 getting the car fixed. Last time I'll ever run anything under 93 in my boosted cars. As a matter of fact, if I'm not E85, I'm running at least 96-100 octane.

Just adding 1 can of Torco and you can feel a MAJOR difference in giddy up.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #20
Koldunic

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Man, I'll never forget when I had my Z06. I cheaped out one day and added 89 to save some money. Blew both converters out. Spent $1500 getting the car fixed. Last time I'll ever run anything under 93 in my boosted cars. As a matter of fact, if I'm not E85, I'm running at least 96-100 octane.

I will check that up. Thank you!
Koldunic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 12:16 PM   #21
msawyer110

Drives: 2017 ZL1
I hardly ever drive mine so i run VP race fuel T4 100 octane. Standard pump gas replacment. Let me tell you what...it smells like America.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #22
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

Yup. I have seen plenty of engine failures in my time all over something as simple as a few extra cents per gallon. I even tried to skimp out a few times. But then I realized that the difference between the lower grade and 93 octane was only about a few dollars a tank...and in perspective, I threw more than that away on beer in between fill ups. So I use 93 octane when available. It is not worth a busted engine even on (relatively) cheaper SS engines back in those days. I darn sure ain't taking chances on this more expensive engine.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #23
Silver Spear

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Try this web site ( https://www.pure-gas.org/ ) and located the nearest local gas station in your area that carries straight gas with no additive.
Silver Spear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 02:11 PM   #24
Larrio Andretti

Drives: Really Fast
Quote:
Yea no duh. What's this, like, beginner's engines 101? Come on dude. Don't sit here acting all pretentious. If you wanna use 91 octane and if that is what you recommend then tell it to OP and go about your business. But I don't need your little spiel on "octane is the fuel's"...blah blah blah. Use that garbage in your engine if you want. If you granny drive then you'll be fine. Put that crap in and do some spirited driving and watch your engine blow to kingdom come. All for being cheap and not wanting to spend a few cents more on what you should be putting in the tank in the first place. And for the record, I gave an account of my experiences with it. And I even went on to say that it could have just been the gas out here in NJ. So stop acting like a know-it-all douchebag. Because you don't know, and your advice on 91 octane sound just as ridiculous to me as my "story" sounds to you.

And I don't need "factual information". What, you think I sit around testing every gas station's fuel and datalogging every time I fill up? That is the dumbest shit I ever heard. OP asked advice and I gave that. BTW, do YOU have data to back up your nonsense? Then STFU bro.
Actually you’re the one who needs the “spiel”. If beginners 101 sounds pretentious to you then you need an education. Too stupid for your own good. On top of it you think that you can spew it out to others in a forum open to the world and not look like an ass and have someone call you out in it.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:15 PM   #25
Larrio Andretti

Quote:

Unless you put leaded gasoline in your car 89 octane did nothing to your catalytic converters!
Old 07-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #26
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Actually you’re the one who needs the “spiel”. If beginners 101 sounds pretentious to you then you need an education. Too stupid for your own good. On top of it you think that you can spew it out to others in a forum open to the world and not look like an ass and have someone call you out in it.
Ok. Congrats. Did they mail you the internet trophy yet?
Old 07-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #27
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
Quote:
Unless you put leaded gasoline in your car 89 octane did nothing to your catalytic converters!

Haha, oh lord. Here we go. We have another troll among us. You want me post my thread from the Vette Forums? Nah, I'll make you go look for it. You obviously don't know sht about running crap gas in any boosted car and the results from which will happen. Cats are first to go. Of course, there could of been tuning issues related to it, but it WAS due to lower octane gas. I tend to take the word of LMR over some random troll any day. After all, they did the build. Not you, which says alot about you chiming in on something in which you know nothing about. Fk. Got to block another one.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:09 PM   #28
Larrio Andretti

Quote:
Ok. Congrats. Did they mail you the internet trophy yet?
They did.... I’ll have to make room!
Attached Images