Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-29-2018, 01:57 PM   #43
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguylogs View Post
I don't drop by often because I stay busy with motorcycles, but this thread was fun to read today.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the handling benefits of V6 vs V8. The weight distribution of the V6 seems more favorable in the twisties.

Non-the-less, the wife and I drive an SS because we like the impressive power of the V8.
AhhhHaaa I knew there was a reason I bought a V6

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:10 PM   #44
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Do you happen to have a copy of these instructions from GM, I can't seem to locate anywhere in Service Information as to these instructions to wear the engine in.
You're a mechanic and don't know the proper way to break in an engine?

Still waiting on the detailed facts on why you hate the 3.6L so much.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:21 PM   #45
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post

12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:31 PM   #46
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:

I'm aware of how GM is asking us to do it, it's outlined in the owners manual of every vehicle, but it's not the way that was stated earlier in this post, unless I am not privy to ALL of the info from GM. So I am just asking for the source of his information. I trust the engineer of the engine over some aftermarket shop. It's a great motor, for those of us who get paid to fix them. I love doing timing chains, cylinder heads, complete assemblies. It's an oil burning pos. Compare the v8 to v6 forums, who has considerably more complaints about engine failure?

Last edited by JerTM; 06-29-2018 at 03:50 PM.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:04 PM   #47
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
I'm aware of how GM is asking us to do it, it's outlined in the owners manual of every vehicle, but it's not the way that was stated earlier in this post, unless I am not privy to ALL of the info from GM. So I am just asking for the source of his information. I trust the engineer of the engine over some aftermarket shop. It's a great motor, for those of us who get paid to fix them. I love doing timing chains, cylinder heads, complete assemblies. It's an oil burning pos. Compare the v8 to v6 forums, who has considerably more complaints about engine failure?

When I bought my car, I did all that. You know what? My LFX doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Again, I'm still waiting on the detailed facts on why you think this engine is a POS. According to you, all 3.6's are a piece of crap. Okay, let's hear why.....
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:13 PM   #48
farm rat

Drives: 2011 Vistory Red 1LS
I gotta side with Gringo on this (obviously). Although mine is an LLT I have over 2000 miles on my last oil change and it hasn't burned or used a drop if you go by the dipstick.

A girl I know has owned 2 of these one 1LS and the current one is a 1LT. Both 2011. Although her old man is a mechanic I doubt she lets him work on her cars as he is a dumbass. She drives the shit out of the cars and the current one has 100K+ on it. The one she used to have was up there.

2011 1LS M6 Victory Red

Sold
1967 Coupe Green and White
1969 SS 396 Hugger Orange
1969 Z/28 All original White with deluxe interior
1970 RS Blue
1978 Coupe Fugly Green
1978 WS-6 Trans-Am Factory 4 speed
1985 IROC-Z Red
farm rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 04:23 PM   #49
Spurshot

Drives: 2014 2SS blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radioguylogs View Post
I don't drop by often because I stay busy with motorcycles, but this thread was fun to read today.

I am surprised nobody has mentioned the handling benefits of V6 vs V8. The weight distribution of the V6 seems more favorable in the twisties.

Non-the-less, the wife and I drive an SS because we like the impressive power of the V8.
While a lighter V6 Camaro may have more "potential" for better handling, the reality is that they do not handle better than an SS or ZL1. There are many suspension improvements and tire/wheel improvements on the V8 cars, along with different steering ratios. For a V6 Camaro to be able to out corner a SS it would have to be an RS, and even then the difference would be extremely small and more than offset by the ability of the V8 car to come out of the corner with much more acceleration. So a trip around Willow Springs or Nurburing, or just thru the canyons would favor the V8 car. IMO
Old 06-29-2018, 05:29 PM   #50
TooManyProjects

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2ss
Hahahaha a sporty v6 Camaro hahahahahh
TooManyProjects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 06:08 PM   #51
Soybeanrice

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Quote:
When I bought my car, I did all that. You know what? My LFX doesn't burn a drop of oil.

Again, I'm still waiting on the detailed facts on why you think this engine is a POS. According to you, all 3.6's are a piece of crap. Okay, let's hear why.....
They definitely eat oil. Just the fact that they eat oil means that anyone who doesnt check their oil levels is gambling with time and will eventually need repair
Soybeanrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:05 PM   #52
xstuntman

Drives: 2012 Victory Red LFX
I bought a V6 because the Russians suggested it.

Oh, and sometimes my junk accidentally hits the brake pedal. Sadly most of the V8 guys will not understand.
2018 SS wheels, red Heritage grille, actual driving lights, ZL1 strut tower brace, GM Performance billet aluminum fuel door, front grille Bowtie delete, painted red rotors and calipers, 1/4 window American Flags, splash guards, AEM dry panel air filter.
xstuntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:18 AM   #53
redcoats1976

Drives: LT W/2LT,blue metallic
more engine complaints from V6 owners?maybe to be expected,they do make up a larger proportion of the camaro population.have seen a few threads here about problem V8s too though.
redcoats1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 04:50 AM   #54
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Engineering View Post
The 3.6 LLT is actually an amazing engine, and the LFX an improvement on the LLT. The issues are common with ALL GDI engines. And this involves several things. First is the oil used. As all GDI engines experience many times the raw fuel wash-down as prior port injection engines, the oil is constantly thinned by this raw fuel. The dealers only put cheap syn blend in these so that combined with the abrasive particulate matter also entering in far larger amounts creates wear issue for the timing chains and tensioners. Then, the oil the dealer uses is far to thin as far as viscosity so that also contributes to wear. Now, the LLT and the LFX had NO low oil warning indicator until 2013 model year, so many have been run low on oil or even out of oil. This takes out the rod bearings and complete engine failure is the result.

Now, why do these and most GDI engines "use oil"? All modern engines use low tension piston rings, so properly seating these rings when new is critical. How is this done? Well the GM instructions for techs (that none of them read or use it seems) is when new, after making sure all fluids are full and no leaks, you take it to a back road for safety, and from a roll in second gear go wide open throttle to 5,000 RPMS and allow the engine to brake the car back down leaving it in second gear so it loads the rings in both directions. Do this 4-5 times and rings will be seated fully as good as they can get. If you break it in easy, odds are the rings will never properly seat, or abrade into the shape of the cylinder walls, and after 500 or so miles a hard glaze forms over the cross hatch hone pattern and the window has passed and you will most likely have oil consumption issues the life of the engine. Then, ALWAYS get that first oil fill and filter out, and ONLY run a full synthetic oil in the 10w40 range. We prefer Amsoil 5w50.

Another issue that these engines had prior to 2013 is the PCV orifice was designed with far to small of a restriction hole and the "drill mod" must be performed. You need to remove the barb from the rear of the passenger side valve cover and drill the top 1/8" and the two bottom holes to 5/64" as these pictures show it becomes clogged and forces oil backwards out the fresh side of the PCV system to be ingested via the main intake air bridge:

None of this helps you now, but I assume you drive easy and used the cheap to thin of oil from the dealer, correct? There is a shop in the Tampa FL area that does LFX swaps including engine and tune for well under $5k if your going to replace the engine again.

More questions? Just ask. ALL GDI engines experience these same issues and it takes steps by the owner to get them to last.

Your posts are always well thought out and full of detail. Im convinced you could sell me a lawnmower in the desert and I would believe my life depended on it. Ive learned a lot about these mondern motors from you. Thank you.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #55
riozlander
that guy <--------

Drives: 2012 camaro V6 LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurshot View Post
While a lighter V6 Camaro may have more "potential" for better handling, the reality is that they do not handle better than an SS or ZL1. There are many suspension improvements and tire/wheel improvements on the V8 cars, along with different steering ratios. For a V6 Camaro to be able to out corner a SS it would have to be an RS, and even then the difference would be extremely small and more than offset by the ability of the V8 car to come out of the corner with much more acceleration. So a trip around Willow Springs or Nurburing, or just thru the canyons would favor the V8 car. IMO
I am going to have to side with you on this as well 100%
really with the v6 camaro its just a nice cruiser or daily driver.
while you can make a v6 fast........you could of got the SS for the price it cost.
riozlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:16 AM   #56
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by xstuntman View Post
I bought a V6 because the Russians suggested it.

Oh, and sometimes my junk accidentally hits the brake pedal. Sadly most of the V8 guys will not understand.
Your right ....v8 guys don't have to mention their junk when talking cars.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote