Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 06-25-2018, 11:13 PM   #43
Cgocifer

Drives: 2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Okay, taking into consideration everyone's feedback, I've started reworking pretty much everything. I've done a lot of work on the roofline (basically it's a version of the 1967 roofline), and a considerable amount of work on the back of the car.

I still want to go with the sleek angular look as much as possible, but here's the latest progress (and to head off the inevitable peanut gallery comments: No it does not look like a DeLorean, a Dodge, or a Honda-whatever).

I really appreciate the honest feedback!

Attachment 942816
Attachment 942817
Attachment 942818
Early arcade game version of an 80s camaro...

Proportions are way off too. Looks dated and square with no character kinda like a 90s camaro which should disappear into the bad old days of history.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:04 AM   #44
detamble13

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3 VR
Hey Doc good for you taking the time to design something. There may be some negative comments here but it's giving us a platform to talk about the upcoming design.
I really love retro and while discussing what the 6th Gen should look like I wanted to see the 5th Gen evolve. But really I wanted to see the 2010-13 design carry on with some minor tweaks similar to the way the Challenger has done. I'm not a fan of the 2019 refresh similar to the way I wasn't impressed with the 2014 refresh. It seems like a make work project and not something that improves on the cars design.
If it were up to me a Camaro would always be a take on the first gen. People want to look at the car and know they're looking at a Camaro. But trying to come up with something new while incorporating previous design elements doesn't seem to be working (see 2014 and 2019 refresh) and I feel we're having the same problem Homer Simpson had when designing his car. You just can't listen to everyone.
I'd be all for retro but that doesn't seem the way it's going so let's go Avista concept.
detamble13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM   #45
z28pat

Drives: 2002 z28, 2018 2ss 1LE
Now that the vette is going mid engined it opens posibilites for the Camaro to be the only hatchback coupe in the performance line up. I’d love to see a targa top 4 seater coupe that is unmistakeably a Camaro. It doesn’t have to be retro in my opinion, like the previous generations were an evolution from their predecessors.
z28pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 01:33 PM   #46
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by detamble13 View Post
Hey Doc good for you taking the time to design something. There may be some negative comments here but it's giving us a platform to talk about the upcoming design.
I really love retro and while discussing what the 6th Gen should look like I wanted to see the 5th Gen evolve. But really I wanted to see the 2010-13 design carry on with some minor tweaks similar to the way the Challenger has done. I'm not a fan of the 2019 refresh similar to the way I wasn't impressed with the 2014 refresh. It seems like a make work project and not something that improves on the cars design.
If it were up to me a Camaro would always be a take on the first gen. People want to look at the car and know they're looking at a Camaro. But trying to come up with something new while incorporating previous design elements doesn't seem to be working (see 2014 and 2019 refresh) and I feel we're having the same problem Homer Simpson had when designing his car. You just can't listen to everyone.
I'd be all for retro but that doesn't seem the way it's going so let's go Avista concept.
Thank you. You've got the spirit and idea of this whole thing. I've been working and reworking it, but the more I change it, the more it's starting to look like an updated version of the 1967 body style. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess, but it doesn't move the style away from the retro/heritage look. The problem is that the retro look is so popular and well-liked, it's hard to get away from it. It was a great style and in people's minds, that's what they think of when they think 'Camaro'. Trying to change that always encounters lots of resistance. If you try and come up with something sleek and modern, they don't want that. They want hips, lips and chicken strips. They want 'muscles'... and you can throw in a beer with that. That's not a modern look; that's retro. Modern is sleek, stream-lined, aerodynamic, machined. I'm trying to come up with a look that would appeal to the mainstream as a second car, or daily driver. That demographic buys way more cars than the fanboy/forum enthusiasts do. Last year the 6th gen had 4 months of inventory sitting on dealer's lots which was a disaster. They weren't selling. It wasn't until they fire-saled the prices that the cars began to sell, which obviously wasn't part of their original financial strategy. I don't want to see the Camaro go away. They need sales to bring in enough revenue to justify continuing to produce the car. An affordable pony car that would appeal to that much larger market segment, would bring in the money to keep the high performance models going. That's my thinking anyways.

I appreciate your attitude and comments!

Name:  Camaro 7 Rev3-a.png
Views: 535
Size:  475.5 KB
Name:  Camaro 7 Rev3-b.jpg
Views: 506
Size:  46.1 KB
Name:  Camaro 7 Rev3-c.jpg
Views: 515
Size:  40.1 KB
Name:  Camaro 7 Rev3-d.png
Views: 527
Size:  421.3 KB

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 03:59 PM   #47
Bongos2U

Drives: Hopefully 6th gen Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
Thank you. You've got the spirit and idea of this whole thing. I've been working and reworking it, but the more I change it, the more it's starting to look like an updated version of the 1967 body style. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess, but it doesn't move the style away from the retro/heritage look. The problem is that the retro look is so popular and well-liked, it's hard to get away from it. It was a great style and in people's minds, that's what they think of when they think 'Camaro'. Trying to change that always encounters lots of resistance. If you try and come up with something sleek and modern, they don't want that. They want hips, lips and chicken strips. They want 'muscles'... and you can throw in a beer with that. That's not a modern look; that's retro. Modern is sleek, stream-lined, aerodynamic, machined. I'm trying to come up with a look that would appeal to the mainstream as a second car, or daily driver. That demographic buys way more cars than the fanboy/forum enthusiasts do. Last year the 6th gen had 4 months of inventory sitting on dealer's lots which was a disaster. They weren't selling. It wasn't until they fire-saled the prices that the cars began to sell, which obviously wasn't part of their original financial strategy. I don't want to see the Camaro go away. They need sales to bring in enough revenue to justify continuing to produce the car. An affordable pony car that would appeal to that much larger market segment, would bring in the money to keep the high performance models going. That's my thinking anyways.

I appreciate your attitude and comments!

Attachment 943046
Attachment 943047
Attachment 943048
Attachment 943049
Man, for a second I thought I was looking at pictures of a Pontiac Fiero.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0117-26...fiero-formula/
Bongos2U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 04:06 PM   #48
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
I'm hoping they go for something that looks mean, not going soft like they did on the '19 refresh. It needs to look intimidating just sitting there, like it's daring the onlooker. I would steer clear of any retro design based on 2nd and 3rd and 4th gens, and frankly, it might be time to stop the whole retro thing as a whole. It needs to be a perfect mix of muscle, sport and just plain mean.

At the very least, take the current ZL1, start from there and make it look even angrier and somewhat more futuristic, but not too futuristic because that can be bad also.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:24 PM   #49
SDG23

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS M6
Styling is subjective, but take a look at 5th Gen vs. 6th Gen. The 5th looked great and at the time, I sure would have bought one. But when the 6th came out, although it looked very similar as a whole, it's different enough and enough of a step forward that when you compare a 5th and a 6th side by side, the 5th looks a bit dated, the 6th more modern yet mean looking. The '19 refresh destroyed the 6th gen as far as I'm concerned, so whatever path GM needs to take to make the Camaro more gnarly looking is fine.

To the guy doing the computer drawings, I do appreciate your enthusiasm and effort, and I know you can only do so much at that level, but I feel a strong 2nd gen retro vibe. That's something that might have been cool in the 80's but it seems like it's a big step backwards in terms of the future of the Camaro. Those styles are very boxy and plain, again part of that level of design, but we need more angles and overall a more muscle/sporty feel that also lets you know the Camaro is moving forward.

Oh, and GM why not give the SS a 7.0+ liter V8? From 4th Gen to 5th it jumped from 5.7 to 6.2, so why not make the move to a 7.0+ liter NA V8? 550+ HP/TQ...yeah. It's time for an upgrade, I know you can do it.
Old 06-26-2018, 05:04 PM   #50
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Have you been playing Neon Drive on your Mac Doc?

I think I see what you are going for. Im just not sure your software is up for it. Nice try though. Better than I could do.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 08:16 PM   #51
Number 3
Hail to the King baby!

Drives: '19 XT4 2.0T & '22 VW Atlas 2.0T
You are staying way too far from the edges of the box.

For the Camaro to be a viable car from 2022 to 2026 it needs to break some boundaries.

What those are...….I'm not sure. But coupes are dying. How do you transcend what a Camaro is to what an "affordable, expressive sporty car/vehicle" should be.

'Murican muscle probably doesn't survive except in fewer quantities as we move into the next century and lower volume leads to much higher costs to the consumer. Higher costs simply leads to better choices for the money, including Corvette.

I don't profess to having the answer, just suggesting it can't be "MOHR of the same" which is what the Gen6 is. MOHR
Old 06-26-2018, 08:28 PM   #52
thefirstcause

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS, 2009 Mazda6 GT V6
Quote:
Originally Posted by classicrockr View Post
I still say this is what they should go for....
YES! I love that image the moment I saw it months ago. The mix of the 80s 3rd gen and the 1st/5th/6th gen looks amazing. I grew up always liking the 3rd gens looks despite never even being in one. That as a 7th gen would be so badass.
thefirstcause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 09:20 PM   #53
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 3 View Post
You are staying way too far from the edges of the box.

For the Camaro to be a viable car from 2022 to 2026 it needs to break some boundaries.

What those are...….I'm not sure. But coupes are dying. How do you transcend what a Camaro is to what an "affordable, expressive sporty car/vehicle" should be.

'Murican muscle probably doesn't survive except in fewer quantities as we move into the next century and lower volume leads to much higher costs to the consumer. Higher costs simply leads to better choices for the money, including Corvette.

I don't profess to having the answer, just suggesting it can't be "MOHR of the same" which is what the Gen6 is. MOHR
Your opinion I respect. Can the Camaro be a 4-door and still be a Camaro? Last September I bought an Alfa Romeo Giulia which is a 4-door sports sedan, and I've been seriously impressed with it in just about every way. It's my daily driver and a truly great car. However it isn't a pony car. There's just something about a 2-door coupe; a feeling that somehow doesn't translate to 4 doors.

I realize electric is coming; either all-electric or a hybrid of some kind, which can and will change the body style and design. I've seen Teslas and they're not bad, but the styling doesn't make me want one. Can the Camaro be electric or a hybrid and still look and feel like a Camaro?

Probably the best example of a continuous style is the Porsche 911. Basically the same style/philosophy for over 50 years. It was always a niche car, and still is but it survives. Is that where you think the Camaro will be going?

I could take a stab at an electric design... that really changes what you have to do for the body; especially in the front, but it opens up more possibilities aerodynamically.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-26-2018, 09:38 PM   #54
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

I truly appreciate the feedback and discussion; good bad or otherwise.

I managed to find a 3d file of a 5th Gen, and pulled it in for comparison. I never designed mine by any kind of numbers; it was all just by eyeball. It turns out (which a few pointed out) that the proportions were/are wrong. Mine was too wide by a longshot. Here are a few side-by-side comparisons with the 5th Gen to give you an idea of where mine's at.

Name:  Camaro Comparison-1.png
Views: 357
Size:  379.9 KB
Name:  Camaro Comparison-2.png
Views: 332
Size:  219.0 KB
Name:  Camaro Comparison-3.png
Views: 335
Size:  236.8 KB

I pulled in the width of mine considerably compared to the first images I posted, but it's still probably wider than would be allowed. I'll pull it in further to make it more compliant with the width of the 5th Gen. My wheel base was really close though. As can be seen, mine isn't as tall, and is overall a smaller design.

One of my "don't likes" about the 5th Gen, the 6th Gen, and many other cars, is the bulky, heavy look; especially the back end. It just doesn't look good to me.

The 5th Gen was basically a modern version of the 1969 Camaro. I could continue working on a modern version of the 1967, which was actually a somewhat boxy design, but as Number 3 pointed out, the Camaro is going to have to break out of that look to survive. Will the public accept a non-retro look? Would an electric version be able to 'get away' with a non-retro look?

I'll keep working on it, and thank you to everyone for their participation and feedback!

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Old 06-26-2018, 10:04 PM   #55
BlackSovereign

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LE Black
i prefer the brutally mean look that GM went for on the 6 gen ZL1. For gen 7 just make it more aggressive.
The modern camaro needs that badass authoritative look.

Its needs to give that vibe that your looking at a fully armored SWAT officer.
You want to look at it, but at the same time its kinda intimating to look at

If you dont get the vibe when look at a camaro, then the design is wrong.
Again all my opinion.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:30 PM   #56
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
I'd like to see the Camaro take the current refresh fascia and adopt a similar lower grille and side intakes as the ZR1 Corvette. I think it would be a big enough deviation from the "modern 1st gen" but still look relatively aggressive.