Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

View Poll Results: Should I keep these $84.99 tires?
Yes 21 52.50%
No 17 42.50%
Maybe 1 2.50%
Other (explain below please) 1 2.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-20-2017, 08:19 AM   #15
sbubbaklein

Drives: early 2011 Camaro convertible
will work fine for your v6 auto

Early 2011 LT Convertible, ZL1 bumper, hood, side skirts, belly pan and wheels, Truecarbon ECF hood extractor, K&N CAI, Elite catch can, Big Worm Bow Tie emblems, Jacfab bracket, Vitesse TC, BMR strut brace, BMR tunnel brace, NPP exhaust
sbubbaklein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #16
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
I'd say keep them 6 to 9 months, then upgrade.
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:59 AM   #17
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorGreg View Post
LOL - turns out I was way wong! I just went in the garage and snapped this pic - at least they weren't made in North Korea
North Korea only builds pissed off miget dictators and Nuclear missles.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:20 AM   #18
Outlaw77

Drives: 2018 Charger SRT 392 F8 Green
Um yeah I would get rid of them. Tires are one thing I don't like to cheap out on.
Outlaw77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 09:35 AM   #19
BLU DUCE

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS IBM Camaro
Quote:
LOL - turns out I was way wong! I just went in the garage and snapped this pic - at least they weren't made in North Korea
Not much differance
Old 12-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #20
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I've heard of Hercules before. I think they're made by Cooper tire. Lots of tires made overseas. They probably won't last very long... I'd just use them for now.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 01:18 PM   #21
silversleeper
Big Crow

Drives: '13 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I've heard of Hercules before. I think they're made by Cooper tire. Lots of tires made overseas. They probably won't last very long... I'd just use them for now.
I would run them until they were at least worn 2/3 down. Look on tire rack in specs they will tell you where the tires are made. You'll see most are made overseas somewhere. I avoid made in China tires, because they run from Ok to Unfit for use!
If they don't seem so out of round they don't balance right or feel squishy and unsafe in turns or braking I would run them for sure.
Unless you are changing them for a reason, e.g.
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire-brand/driveguard
you want runflat tires for extra safety
Or you want sticky tires for track use or safety.
BTW the tire you replace it with might be worse unless you choose very carefully. So why waste the money?
Edit: here are some reviews https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/iron...p/style/538087
They indicate it might have bad winter characteristics and the soft sidewall squish I mentioned. Your size looks to have a short sidewall so this might not be a problem for your style driving. I still would drive it unless you need more winter performance or cornering ability.
Oh I see your in Florida, yeah gotta watch out for those heavy winter storms; joking.
silversleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:03 PM   #22
Cheap Guy

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I hate cheap tires no matter where they come from. I ran a set of Mastercraft tires on my Jeep for a year because I was too cheap to buy a good set. So for a year I slipped and slid all over the place instead of bucking up and get a good set. When I did get a good set I regretted every mile with the cheapos.

It’s a performance car. Spend the money and get good tires.

First - 1997 Camaro 3800 Y87, M5, Green - Gone | Second - 1997 LT1 Z28, M6, Silver - Sold | Third - 1999 LS1 Z28, M6, Pewter, Almost Stock! - Sold
Current - 2011 Camaro SS, M6, black, 1LE suspension parts - Current
Cheap Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #23
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
I'm perplexed. Why not just buy a quality set of tires that get solid reviews from the start, instead of buying cheap junk and then questioning your decision? Now, if you finally do the right thing and buy quality tires, you'll have spent more, considering you'll have bought 2 sets of tires. I don't get it. Good luck.

"You get what you pay for.".

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:25 PM   #24
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by silversleeper View Post
I would run them until they were at least worn 2/3 down. Look on tire rack in specs they will tell you where the tires are made. You'll see most are made overseas somewhere. I avoid made in Chinatires, because they run from Ok to Unfit for use!
If they don't seem so out of round they don't balance right or feel squishy and unsafe in turns or braking I would run them for sure.
Unless you are changing them for a reason, e.g.
https://www.bridgestonetire.com/tire-brand/driveguard
you want runflat tires for extra safety
Or you want sticky tires for track use or safety.
BTW the tire you replace it with might be worse unless you choose very carefully. So why waste the money?
Edit: here are some reviews https://www.tirebuyer.com/tires/iron...p/style/538087
They indicate it might have bad winter characteristics and the soft sidewall squish I mentioned. Your size looks to have a short sidewall so this might not be a problem for your style driving. I still would drive it unless you need more winter performance or cornering ability.
Oh I see your in Florida, yeah gotta watch out for those heavy winter storms; joking.
Thanks, I never really noticed the country of origin info on TireRack's spec pages before. I just looked at the specs for all the tires they sell for my size (245/45-20 and 275/40-20). It was interesting to see where they're all made - I saw Thailand, South Korea, Romania, Japan, Mexico, Italy, and USA. I'm leaning towards getting the BFG's which according to TireRack are from the USA and have very good rating. I'll take it easy and just roll on the Vietnamese tires until their next big sale and switch.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:29 PM   #25
GatorGreg

Drives: '14 Blue Ray ("Suite Madame Blue")
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
I'm perplexed. Why not just buy a quality set of tires that get solid reviews from the start, instead of buying cheap junk and then questioning your decision? Now, if you finally do the right thing and buy quality tires, you'll have spent more, considering you'll have bought 2 sets of tires. I don't get it. Good luck.

The dealer I bought the car from had already installed the tires.
GatorGreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:33 PM   #26
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post

Quote:
The dealer I bought the car from had already installed the tires.
Gotcha. I misread your original comment. Well, then I would ditch these ASAP. As previously stated, get yourself a good, quality set that have received solid reviews. TireRack.com is typically a good place to read reviews from actual owners. Good luck!

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:39 PM   #27
Rainbow1616

Drives: 2011 Inferno Orange Camaro 2SS/RS
Run them until you need new ones. I'm sure you're not the first person to run these on a Camaro.Throwing away new tires is just dumb
Rainbow1616 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:48 PM   #28
NC_SS

Drives: 2012 M6 Camaro SS (RIP)
Wonder how much the Captain America is in comparison to the Ironman