Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Bigwormgraphix

Old 09-28-2020, 07:35 AM   #1
Corbu

Drives: Camaro 2SS
White smoke coming from the back of the car while hard cornering. What is it?

I have just finished my 3rd track day and so far so good, the lap times have dropped significantly since I started. Last time around I had almost 4 hours of lapping time and I really pushed it. What I find is that this track business is so so addictive and quite expensive if I drive hard .... but I improved my lap time again by 1.5s and this is what matters in the end

Towards the end of the day, the flag people pulled me out wondering if I am losing fluids, I had white smoke comming off the back of the wheels in high speed / high G corners. It was only happening on right hand side corners and the smoke appeared to come out from the rear right (inside corner). Also it was only happening in a few selected corners right after straights and hard breaking.

I pulled over and while in the pits I discovered a surprise while I was coming to a stop: the break pedal went all the way to the floor .... I think I got VERY lucky by beeing pulled over, one more lap or two and I could have ended in the wall. Going back to the thick white smoke, what can it be? Can it be the rear breaks? The rear rotors and pads are complete toast, the rotors shinny metal surface seems to be chipping away. Or can it be the rear diff and if yes where is the smoke coming from exactly? A quick inspection didn't reveal anything, everything seems to be fine (except the rear breaks) and all the fluids appear to be at the right level. The car will go in the shop for a complete break job (I just changed the front pads and rotors...lol), but I can't help being concerned about the white smoke; the car has never done this before, even on the track. Plus I intend to track the car again in a few weeks and I don't plan to take it easy, but I want to be safe.

Please help me troubleshoot the rear white smoke issue. Thank you

Last edited by Corbu; 09-28-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Corbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:09 AM   #2
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Possible brake fluid?? White smoke tends to be water/antifreeze.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
Alpha1BC

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Sounds like it could be a pad sticking inside the caliper but a lot of other things at play. Do you still have traction control and/or ESC turned on when you're on the track? Have rear brakes ever been changed or taken apart before? Still running stock pads? Could even be a rock or piece of rubber getting stuck in there somehow, but if fluids are all at the right level (including brake fluid) and tires aren't obviously damaged then my guess is brake pads not being able to retract when they should, generating too much heat, and boiling fluid.
Old 09-28-2020, 09:57 AM   #4
AustinTXracer

Drives: 20 SS 1LE
I am guessing you are using PTM and overdriving enough that the rear brakes are overheating to try and keep the car from spinning. Just a guess though.
Old 09-28-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
JSH

Drives: '20 ZLE
Tire smoke is white, as is the much more rare occurrence of coolant burning in the combustion chamber
2/23 - 1031/1004 wheel.
4/23 - 1.41/9.61/145 at DA 7000 ft. (only made five passes).
2/24 - LME 390, E2650, FBO, 100 oct.; 1116hp/ 1063tq; 109 oct. dyno next.
JSH is offline   Reply With Quote