Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #15
Snuggles

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS/RS, M6, whitestrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid96 View Post
I run long tubes and a catless x pipe on my C5 Corvette. Even with a stock catback it is very loud, at least for my taste. When I had the Borla Stingers on there it was absolutely unbarable. And of course you dump raw fuel which can be a little intoxicating warming up your car or sitting at lights.
I am putting ARH longtubes w/ cats on the Camaro next week so I will have a good idea of the differences shortly. Never had cats on the Vet so not sure how much difference it will make yet.
Not wantin to hijack..
But Kid96, would you happen to have a sound clip of your Vette with the LT Headers, non catted X and borla stinger?
I've already purchased the entire setup, its sitting at the performance shop right now just waiting on me to receive the Vararam intake before we install everything and tune!

I love LOUD but dont want absolutely UNBEARABLE!!
Dont want the neighbors over at my house

Snuggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #16
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Can't remove or change your cats until 50,000 miles or 5 years I believe. So don't tell anyone I had mine changed at 1300 miles

I have dynatech highflow cats on mine, because that's what Ted recommended.
TVS2300 Supercharger w/Maggie Max Stage 2, 3.6 Pulley, Innovators West 8 rib conversion, OD rear Cog belt drive.
Jannetty Racing Rough Idle Cam, LS3 Conversion.
Jannetty Racing built 6l80e Trans, Jannetty Racing Custom Converter, Built rear diff w/ 3.45 gears, DSS driveshaft and 1400 hp axles.
ADM Twin Pump Fuel System, ADM CAI, Dynatech 1 7/8" Coated Headers, Borla "S" Catback.
Custom 18" Forgestar F14's, Nitto 305/45-18 DR's
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:42 PM   #17
PAUL SS
The Mark of Excellence

Drives: 2010 ABM 1SS RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Catalytic converters have catalysts—hence the name—in them that make harmful exhaust gasses less harmful. Without them, the car would emit gasses that would cause the car to have poor or failing emissions ratings in most, perhaps all, states. Technically, you're not allowed to change the catalytic converter, to my knowledge, within 5 years, but that has never stopped anyone.
And due to the precious metals including platinum, palladium, and rhodium, they are quite valuable and can be a target for theives.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:47 PM   #18
1320junkie

Drives: The Imperial Army
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSyanide View Post
OP: cat removal is a federal issue, statewise and locally, every place has their own emissions standards and testing, but legally...cats have to be there...if there is a visual check you could face a fine..I think last time I looked, it's pretty steep. Not worth at least having high flow cats, it's only a couple of HP difference.
I am well aware of that and thank you for your additional information. The Z06 didn't have cats either. I drove that one for 2 years and had it registered in a non-emissions county. So no checks whatsoever. I know you have to pay to play but my cars spend the majority of life on the track and very seldom if ever on the street. I am kind of set in my ways...I just wanted to have a discussion on the topic.
1320junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 01:51 PM   #19
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
guess the only way to get around cats legally is to buy a really really old car or to build your own You pick!

But seriously, no matter what I'm going to stick with the factory cats because a few HP gain is not really worth putting more crap in the air on my daily drive. Grant it, I may put a mod on someday that reduces my mileage and making my car spew more exhaust, but at least it'll be minty clean!
Old 12-18-2009, 01:56 PM   #20
SSyanide

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
I am well aware of that and thank you for your additional information. The Z06 didn't have cats either. I drove that one for 2 years and had it registered in a non-emissions county. So no checks whatsoever. I know you have to pay to play but my cars spend the majority of life on the track and very seldom if ever on the street. I am kind of set in my ways...I just wanted to have a discussion on the topic.
Didn't mean to sound so "legal", I'm all for doing what we want with our cars.
SSyanide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:01 PM   #21
full of days

Drives: Camaro GT
My dynatech headers came with hiflo cats --they call them Power Cats. hahaha

Made me think of THUNDER CATS! HOOOOO!!!

Childhood flashback :-) doing the header/catback install now. vids up tonight!
full of days is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:07 PM   #22
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSyanide View Post
checked the plugs?

nice bike, btw.
Spark plugs or 02 plugs? Spark plugs are new, 02 plug are tight.

I did a data run and fuel trim were on the +side, I have read that you want them in the -category- still working thru this with my tuner, he is 175 miles from so, I would prefer to work it with my predator.

Thanks on the compliment on the bike (s), I own three HD 05 FLSTN, 09FLHX and an 09 FLHTCU. 09 FLHTCU is being put back together after I wrecked it.

Mike
Old 12-18-2009, 02:12 PM   #23
SSyanide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzodarg View Post
Spark plugs or 02 plugs? Spark plugs are new, 02 plug are tight.

I did a data run and fuel trim were on the +side, I have read that you want them in the -category- still working thru this with my tuner, he is 175 miles from so, I would prefer to work it with my predator.

Thanks on the compliment on the bike (s), I own three HD 05 FLSTN, 09FLHX and an 09 FLHTCU. 09 FLHTCU is being put back together after I wrecked it.

Mike
yeah, sparks...I just always forget the little things when working on stuff...my mind jumps right to the non-existant big issue and it's usually something small. Last time I had a lean condition, one of my spark plugs actually pushed gap (opened up to about .70, should've been .40-.45 for my set up. Took awhile to reign that one in.

Been looking at getting another bike myself, something small though..like the Iron 883 Dark Custom...it's inexpensive and for what I'd use it for and as much as I'd get to ride it , it'd be great, and it responds well to a few mods I've heard.
Old 12-18-2009, 02:21 PM   #24
thekid96

Drives: Z06, 69 Camaro
No clip, just think "NASCAR". WO you could hear it 2 miles away. Wouldn't even think of starting it in the neighborhood between 8pm-8am.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuggles View Post
Not wantin to hijack..
But Kid96, would you happen to have a sound clip of your Vette with the LT Headers, non catted X and borla stinger?
I've already purchased the entire setup, its sitting at the performance shop right now just waiting on me to receive the Vararam intake before we install everything and tune!

I love LOUD but dont want absolutely UNBEARABLE!!
Dont want the neighbors over at my house
thekid96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #25
SSyanide

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekid96 View Post
No clip, just think "NASCAR". WO you could hear it 2 miles away. Wouldn't even think of starting it in the neighborhood between 8pm-8am.
Found this vid...maybe close to what you're talking about:
Old 12-18-2009, 03:16 PM   #26
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
I had no cats on my LT1 Z28 and I found it annoying when sitting at a light or drive threw window with the windows down. I like the windows down and I found it hard to breath at times. I am going with cats this time for that reason only.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 03:35 PM   #27
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
I went without cats when I put my long-tubes on my 4th gen. Sometimes I feel guilty not having them, but I don't put many miles on the car and I love the sound too much! On my next car I'll go with high-flow cats and no muffler for a similar sound and be a little more greener.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 04:14 PM   #28
JHart
I haz camaro again :)

Drives: 2010 Chevrolet Camaro 1SS
if and when i do headers, i'll probably do high flow cats, even though in SC there is no emission checks, they kill you with noise violations and check under the car/truck to see if there are cats there sometimes. my truck appears stock with a flowmaster to the eye, but in reality both cats on my i5 have been gutted out and with a flow 40 series my little i5 on my truck sound mean for an inline engine. i might gut the camaro's cats one day, when the warranty is up.

2010 silverado z71 ccsb(sold, old dd)
2010 camaro1ss(sold, missed, will have another someday)
JHart is offline   Reply With Quote