Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Bigwormgraphix

Old 05-07-2019, 01:57 PM   #1
Addoni

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary 2SS Camaro
2017 50th anniversary Edition 2SS camaro headers?

I have a 50th Edition 2SS Camaro that I was thinking about putting catless headers with O2 connections on my car. My question is if anyone has done this, does it throw a cell? It doesn't require a tune for headers? Someone told me it does but I don't think that's correct. I do not plan on tuning my car until warranty is up. Any thoughts or experiences with this question would be appreciated.
Addoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:39 PM   #2
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Search is your friend, this has been discussed ad nauseam on this site... Will headers throw a CEL - YES, especially catless ones, and headers in general without a tune could also create a lean condition causing engine damage. Without cats the 02 sensors won't help you since your emissions gasses will be out of spec compared to having cats. You need a tune to turn off the CEL. Not to mention you are probably leaving 20 rwhp on the table without a proper tune for the A/F changes.

Can you run without a tune - yes - if you don't mind the CEL. That would not be recommended as a long term solution though and I don't know why anyone would do that unless they are out of cash and HAVE to do the headers immediately for some reason. You shouldn't do headers without a tune and the headers void your emissions warranty and potentially your powertrain warranty anyway due to the A/F ratio changes. Blow up something in your engine due to a lean condition from headers without a tune and you are on your own for the engine work.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 04:25 PM   #3
CruzySS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
Search is your friend, this has been discussed ad nauseam on this site... Will headers throw a CEL - YES, especially catless ones, and headers in general without a tune could also create a lean condition causing engine damage. Without cats the 02 sensors won't help you since your emissions gasses will be out of spec compared to having cats. You need a tune to turn off the CEL. Not to mention you are probably leaving 20 rwhp on the table without a proper tune for the A/F changes.

Can you run without a tune - yes - if you don't mind the CEL. That would not be recommended as a long term solution though and I don't know why anyone would do that unless they are out of cash and HAVE to do the headers immediately for some reason. You shouldn't do headers without a tune and the headers void your emissions warranty and potentially your powertrain warranty anyway due to the A/F ratio changes. Blow up something in your engine due to a lean condition from headers without a tune and you are on your own for the engine work.
What this guy said
CruzySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 07:14 PM   #4
LT4Greg

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 Coupe
You have to tune the car after installing headers! Plain and simple!
Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #5
Homer2

Drives: 50th Anni.. coming home 11/01
thread over.. all facts stated.
Built Sept 16/2016 - #2681 of 5955. She came home with me 11/01/16. 50th Anni, 2SS, A8, NPP, NGM Rock Guards, Footwell Lighting, Black Bow Ties, Street Warrior Rotors and Pads, Ceramic Pro, 3M PPF, Oracle Ghosted Side Markers, Kooks 2" headers w/hi flow cats. GPI Stage 1 Cam installed at 305,000 kms.
Homer2 is online now   Reply With Quote