Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

Phastek Performance

Old 11-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #1
zerovisual

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS M6
Garage and Car Warm Up

So obviously we are coming into the freezing as* season. So I have been seeing numerous articles about carbon monoxide poising from people warming up their car in their garage. So obviously warming up your war with the garage door shut is beyond dumb, however I have noticed that even with the garage door open. If my car is backed in then it can really fill the garage pretty quickly. Now it maybe not as strong because the door is open, but it has recently concerned me because of these articles. So I think for the winter I will not back in if I want to warm it up in the garage.

This is also my first winter with my camaro and my garage. So I was just curious if anyone else has noticed anything. Seems like our cars can really put out some carbon monoxide quickly.

Maybe I have a poorly ventilated garage also. Who knows, but though I would throw this out there as I want myself and everyone to be safe.

The article was just a tragic story and I don't want to discuss it, but it did make me rethink somethings.
zerovisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:01 PM   #2
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Well, yeah no matter what car you have if it's backed in even with the door open it's not a good idea to let any car idle.

But you don't need to let new cars warm up by idling it. In fact it's actually worse to do that than to simply drive away on an ice cold engine in the middle of winter. The engine will warm up faster under load. Your coolant will warm quicker and your heat will get warm faster if you drive. Not hard, not fast, just normal.

Modern cars are designed to warm up under load.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:03 PM   #3
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerovisual View Post

This is also my first winter with my camaro and my garage. So I was just curious if anyone else has noticed anything. Seems like our cars can really put out some carbon monoxide quickly.

This isn't unique to the Camaro.
ALL internal combustion engines are going to be the same way.

There really isn't any reason at all to "warm your car up sitting in the garage".
Not very safe at all, even with the garage door open.

Even with temps down in the single digits, we just start the car and back out normally.
It might idle for just a minute or two at most, and then just take it easy for the first few miles.

Modern cars warm up rather quickly just driving them easy for the first mile or two.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 12:05 PM   #4
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post

There really isn't any reason at all to "warm your car up sitting in the garage".

Even with temps down in the single digits, we just start the car and back out normally.
It might idle for just a minute or two at most, and then just take it easy for the first few miles.

Modern cars warm up rather quickly just driving them easy for the first mile or two.
This. My thoughts exactly.
Old 11-29-2018, 12:44 PM   #5
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:

+2

It is actually worse for the car to sit idling. Recommended approach would be to just drive it keeping the rpms down under 3k-ish until the temp comes up to normal.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
Allez

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS
I usually arrow the RPMs to drop before I drive off - doesn't take too long.
Allez is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:17 PM   #7
crosive

Drives: 18 zl1
I've idled my cars up to warm in the winter season for years, with no ill effects.

Where I live now, I have to idle it for 8-10 minutes otherwise I'm hitting the freeway with a short on-ramp before my car sees full temp, that I don't like. sadly, where I work is the same way, I'm a half mile from an on ramp that even my car struggles to see 70 at before touching traffic.
crosive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 01:36 PM   #8
ecko04

Drives: Too many to list
There have been some studies that dangerous (non lethal) levels of carbon monoxide can remain for hours after an idle car leaves the garage (even if the car has idled with the door open)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
ecko04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:09 PM   #9
ctrlz

Drives: 2017 2SS, 50th pkg, M6, MRC, NPP
Idling your car to warm it up makes more CO because the engine is cold and the converter is not adequately warmed. Much better to start the car and drive off to warm it up.
In an enclosed space like a garage (even with door open) there is the risk of pooling CO gas in certain parts of the garage, and even possibly setting up a scenario where it is drawn into the cabin by the car's ventilation system.
I agree with the OP. Don't back into the garage. That is setup for trouble.
ctrlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 02:25 PM   #10
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Why back into garage? Isn’t it easier to pull straight in and back straight out?

I remember as a kid, the guy down the street came home drunk, forgot to turn his car off and the family never woke up.

Be very careful with the bad fumes.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:51 PM   #11
CamaroChriSS

Drives: 16 1SS M6 Black -previous 00 Z28 M6
Growing up in NY there is definitely merit to warming up a car regardless of engine health - it's miserable sitting in a freezing car, even if just for a few minutes. Better to let it warm up for 5 and then get into a comfortable car. Just because it will warm up while you're driving doesn't mean you'll be comfortable, which is always my goal.
CamaroChriSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 03:39 PM   #12
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:

Agreed.
Old 11-29-2018, 03:42 PM   #13
Silverado57

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroChriSS View Post
Growing up in NY there is definitely merit to warming up a car regardless of engine health - it's miserable sitting in a freezing car, even if just for a few minutes. Better to let it warm up for 5 and then get into a comfortable car. Just because it will warm up while you're driving doesn't mean you'll be comfortable, which is always my goal.
FWIW, I would never buy another car without remote start (outside!), heated seats and maybe even heated steering wheel. In the winter I'll start my Silverado while I'm putting my coat and boots on. Even that minute or two makes a huge difference with the heated seat.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:40 PM   #14
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
The engine warms faster when you drive than when it idles. Under load it will be up to full running temp in that 5 minutes you let it sit at idle and it’s not even half way up.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote