Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-04-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
Jbanta1983

Drives: 2019 2ss 1LE
Dust repellant on black!

I have a new ss in black does anyone have a product that you put on that will help repel dust?? I knew what I was getting into with black but was just wondering if there were anything like this that you guys use
Jbanta1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #2
dpevans

Drives: 2024 Riverside Blue 2SS 1LE
There is no product for a car that will repel dust. Your car is metal, it will attract dust. I know from experience a wax or paste will attract more dust than ceramic coating. My car can sit in the garage for about three days before a fine film of dust settles on it. I have used a cover but I don't care how "scratch free micro fiber cover" they claim you still put scratches in your car putting on and taking off your cover all the time. If you don't want to pay for ceramic coating then go with a paint sealant. That still works better than wax.
dpevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #3
cellsafemode

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT
Nothing I have tried, including ceramic coating has been able to defeat California dust for more than a day.

Best you can hope for is that it will simply wipe off with a dry cloth/duster
cellsafemode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Gunkk
Thank you Al Oppenheiser!

Drives: Red Hot A10 ZL1 Convertible
Nothing short of a plastic bubble like this will stop dust from getting on the car. But you can make the dust easier to remove with less risk of doing damage to the paint when you do.

A good paint correction, proper prep and a couple coats of a durable (1yr+ plus service life) hydrophobic coating like Gtechniq EXO V4 or Feynlab Topcoat will help reduce the surface energy of the paint and make dust easier to remove. These coatings will last years on a garage kept car.

Spray and wipe sealants like Reload are an easier to apply solution that will last for weeks to months in similar conditions.

With all of these coatings, more often than not a simple hose rinse will clean dust off the paint. Once you get oils/greases built up on the car, however, you'll need soap and mechanical agitation (i.e. old fashioned 2 bucket car wash with a coating safe soap) to get it off.

I'm doing a test of how Reload vs. Adams Ceramic Spray perform on my daily driver in this thread over here:
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10475838

You can see how dusty/dirty my 7 year old DD was before the 1st rinse and how well just these simple spray-n-wipes did with a simple rinse (also includes pics and a vid after I washed it). You don't always need to drop megabucks on coatings.

Last edited by Gunkk; 04-05-2019 at 06:00 AM. Reason: added ref to my other thread
Gunkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 10:37 PM   #5
18LTLoveIt

Drives: 2018 Hyper Blue LT RS
I wet wipe my 18 with pretty wet paper towels, turning frequently & going over with another before wiping dry. No swirl marks. 2X a week. It's dusty in Phx
18LTLoveIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 05:33 AM   #6
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Try these.
Attached Images

BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:09 AM   #7
Airfuel

Drives: '19 2SS M6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18LTLoveIt View Post
I wet wipe my 18 with pretty wet paper towels, turning frequently & going over with another before wiping dry. No swirl marks. 2X a week. It's dusty in Phx
Paper towels? Really?
At the very least, use a good Quick detailer and plush micro fiber towels!

Last edited by Airfuel; 04-05-2019 at 06:58 AM.
Airfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:40 AM   #8
JohnsonJ

Drives: BLACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin19 View Post
Try these.
Hmm..This thread is cool. I think I'll try this one. Thanks.
JohnsonJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #9
Glen e
Retired from Car mfrs....

Drives: 2LT RS/HR-V
Unless you wanna polish once a year, using any type a towel on a dry surface even if the towel is wet , there's not enough lubrication to eliminate micro scratching on the surface. You need a flooded surface, and that comes with either a rinseless procedure or use the hose. Using any spray and a dry towel, no matter how plush, will still microscratch. See a completely safe way to wash off dust in the rinseless link in my signature.

Then again I don't mind micro scratches, as I take them out with polish once a year, and about the least way to scratch it is to use a California duster, if it is properly broken in. Elim the majority of dust before you touch the surface with a dedicated detailing blower or a leaf blower .

A couple years of "semi wet wiping" will get you this:

Last edited by Glen e; 04-05-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Glen e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
Z0Tex
@texan.1le

Drives: '18 Camaro 1SS 1LE, PDR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post

Old 04-05-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
Infamus

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
If you dont like seeing dust you picked the wrong color... just saying.
Infamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:26 AM   #12
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airfuel View Post
Paper towels? Really?
At the very least, use a good Quick detailer and plush micro fiber towels!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen e View Post
Unless you wanna polish once a year, using any type a towel on a dry surface even if the towel is wet , there's not enough lubrication to eliminate micro scratching on the surface. You need a flooded surface, and that comes with either a rinseless procedure or use the hose. Using any spray and a dry towel, no matter how plush, will still microscratch. See a completely safe way to wash off dust in the rinseless link in my signature.

Then again I don't mind micro scratches, as I take them out with polish once a year, and about the least way to scratch it is to use a California duster, if it is properly broken in. Elim the majority of dust before you touch the surface with a dedicated detailing blower or a weed blower .

+100

Any sort of dry wiping, California Car duster, wet wipes, et al... basically anything short of a full car wash will leave swirl marks, micro scratches, hairline scratches and will absolutely 100% mar the finish. Ask me how I know for sure? If you think you are fine doing this on your black car... you are just not seeing them. They are there. Take a look at your car in direct sunlight at all angles.

You are taking all the dust, dirt, road debris, fine gravel stuck to the finish and basically scraping it over the finish under pressure without any sort of lubrication or liquid protective layer like soap.

I cringe when I see people using dusters, wipes, and washless quick detail sprays on the finish of a new car.

BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:33 AM   #13
BlackKnight2SS18
Account Suspended

Drives: 2018 2SS Redline
The idea of some sort of spray on dust repellent is a cool idea. If someone invented something like this, they'd sell a ton.
BlackKnight2SS18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #14
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
I use my leaf blower to blow the dust off. Takes 5 minutes and nothing touches the paint.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote