Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #15
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
Help me understand how deleting the secondary cats doesn't void the warranty?

You are removing a pollution control device. Doesn't that void warranty?
Old 02-22-2019, 10:34 AM   #16
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post

yes, and GM would have to prove that removing such an item that isn't monitored by the ECM caused the "failure". It is also a bolt on and I could swap back to stock in 30 minutes...
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 11:46 AM   #17
SteveV

Drives: 2018 ZL1 Camaro 6M Red Hot
I only asked because the OP asked for mods that would NOT void the warranty.
Old 02-22-2019, 02:10 PM   #18
1CEBITN

Drives: 2017 Camaro SS Vert w/2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen12ZL1 View Post
yes, and GM would have to prove that removing such an item that isn't monitored by the ECM caused the "failure". It is also a bolt on and I could swap back to stock in 30 minutes...
I knew someone would throw that BS out there. GM doesn't have to "prove" anything because it is not an OEM equivalent part, it is specifically designed and advertised to add horsepower so Magnusson Moss doesn't apply. Unless you are a millionaire good luck with that one. M-M doesn't mean what you think it does and there is zero case law to prove otherwise.

Besides, there is really no point to adding more air via intake/TB or exhaust to a car these days without a tune because the computer will eventually tune around it minimizing any gains that show up on a dyno immediately after install. The tune is where all the power gains are on the ZL1, look at the gains Ted Jenetty has shown on this forum with just a tune, nothing else.
1CEBITN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:47 PM   #19
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Drives: black zl11le
Angry B...sorry, it was by request....she always tells me I never appreciate her...well, now I show that I do, so hopefully she gets it!
I didn't really begin the thread to gain HP. I wanted to care for the car and the CIA and TB were thoughts to help the car perform best. The new Flowmaster is , as we speak, added to my car for pick up in 1 hour. I know I don't have to tune for the exhaust add. But wasn't sure on the CIA etc.
I didn't mean to start a war here over this or that...........just another car guy out to have some real fun!!!!!!!! AND I AM!!
fredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 06:49 PM   #20
fredz
Just another car Jones!

Drives: black zl11le
BTW.......while here I wanted to see what you all do for alternative tires? I like the F1's but we all know they are stiff puppies and a harsher ride. outside of lowering the tire pressure to 15 lbs (kidding) there are options I understand that help with a better ride while still the performance wanted.
appreciate it.
fredz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
Mark114

Drives: 2016 2SS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post

IIRC the four cats are only required in CARB states. Other states just require two cats to meet state emissions. Chevy builds with four cats to make the car 50 state legal. I don't know about the warranty implication of removing two cats with a cat-back exhaust. Chevy did make it easy to remove the rear cats with their exhaust design.
Mark114 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 08:14 PM   #22
Stephen12ZL1

Drives: '21 ZLE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1CEBITN View Post
I knew someone would throw that BS out there. GM doesn't have to "prove" anything because it is not an OEM equivalent part, it is specifically designed and advertised to add horsepower so Magnusson Moss doesn't apply. Unless you are a millionaire good luck with that one. M-M doesn't mean what you think it does and there is zero case law to prove otherwise.

Besides, there is really no point to adding more air via intake/TB or exhaust to a car these days without a tune because the computer will eventually tune around it minimizing any gains that show up on a dyno immediately after install. The tune is where all the power gains are on the ZL1, look at the gains Ted Jenetty has shown on this forum with just a tune, nothing else.
Yeah, Ted Janetty also has proven the ECM does in fact adjust for changes in airflow without a tune and produce HP gains safely. He offers a "no tune" pulley swap for a 5th Gen ZL1 so newer ECMs make appropriate adjustments for small airflow changes. What do you think your ECM does when you drive from NYC to Denver, Colorado? Computer "tune around it"...hardly. The base tune never changes. The only thing that changes are due to sensor inputs such as knock sensors, MAF, MAP, & 02 values which the ECM factors into the base tune and adjusts appropriately. I certainly understand a tune would increase hp/tq but GM definitely knows if the tune (calibration) has been altered from stock. Your intentions are good, but your argument falls short.
'21 ZLE A10 Wild Cherry PDR 2:00.78 VIR Full 10.68@131.69 1.68 60'
'17 ZL1 A10 Mosaic Black PDR/Nav 2:03.08 VIR Full 11.003@129.2 1.75 (sold)
'15 Z/28 #325 Black a/c & stereo. 2:10.1 VIR Full (sold)
'12 ZL1 A6 Black 10.52@131 1.55 60' 2:13 VIR Full (sold)
Stephen12ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 09:43 PM   #23
GunMetalGrey

Drives: Track prepped 2018 Camaro ZL1 (a10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROMETHEUS View Post
Agree with 2018. Unless you are going to start bolting on mods, the CAI, axleback, TB, etc is not going to give you any significant additional HP, at least nothing you are going to notice. I love guys who claim they can feel a 10HP difference in a 650HP car!
Borla claims 25whp with their 3” ZL1 cat back and some dyno results show rotofab CAI adding 25whp, together that’s 50whp right there (if the Borla cat back actually produces 25whp)... would porting the SC require a tune? I watched a video from Complete street performance https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zPHDL7YNs5Q where the ported SC added about 30whp without a tune.

Not sure if all of these things can be combined without a tune

Last edited by GunMetalGrey; 02-25-2019 at 10:20 PM.
GunMetalGrey is offline   Reply With Quote