Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 12-06-2018, 09:53 AM   #29
barnesbr

Drives: 2018 ZL1 10 spd
So, I just noticed this on my ‘18 recently. I’ve been trying to diagnose it driving and it’s been getting proressively worse. Opened the hood with the car running and put my ear next to the upper pulley, definitely the culprit. Guess it’s time for a dealer trip ��
barnesbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:01 PM   #30
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesbr View Post
So, I just noticed this on my ‘18 recently. I’ve been trying to diagnose it driving and it’s been getting proressively worse. Opened the hood with the car running and put my ear next to the upper pulley, definitely the culprit. Guess it’s time for a dealer trip ��
I'm at about 23k miles now. Mine started whining about 9k miles, but I was told it wasn't an issue. It's louder now than ever. I guess I should revisit my dealer? Has there been an update from GM on this?
Attached Images

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 08:27 PM   #31
barnesbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
I'm at about 23k miles now. Mine started whining about 9k miles, but I was told it wasn't an issue. It's louder now than ever. I guess I should revisit my dealer? Has there been an update from GM on this?
Mine started at 7K miles. I’ve heard some guys saying they had the pulley replaced. One guy even got a new supercharger. I’ll find out Wednesday and report back. I wonder if they will complain about my roto fab.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:42 PM   #32
Alain

Drives: 2016 Challenger Hellcat, 2018 ZL1LE
I sometimes hear a high pitched whine, I have a manual.

I'm fairly certain it's the supercharger and not the bearing. Now I have to take a listen with the hood open.

2018 ZL1 1LE/Red hot

2019 Shellby GT 350R/ Oxford white/ Matte Black Stripes/ Carbon Fiber Dash/ Electronics Package #413
Alain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM   #33
hawk02
Coupe Newbie

Drives: 2017 ZL1, 2021 Corvette Convertible
Quote:
Mine started at 7K miles. I’ve heard some guys saying they had the pulley replaced. One guy even got a new supercharger. I’ll find out Wednesday and report back. I wonder if they will complain about my roto fab.
My engine started to make a whining noise around 7000 miles. It sounded like it was coming from the supercharger pulley. Turns out the idler pulley directly below it had a bad bearing.

Diagnosed it by careful putting one end of a long wooden dowel on the pulley bolt and the other end up to my ear. You could hear and feel the bearing buzzing through the dowel. A long screwdriver will also work. Best diagnostic tool is an engine stethoscope, if you've got access to one.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 08:31 AM   #34
Agent K

Drives: 2017 ZL1 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk02 View Post
My engine started to make a whining noise around 7000 miles. It sounded like it was coming from the supercharger pulley. Turns out the idler pulley directly below it had a bad bearing.

Diagnosed it by careful putting one end of a long wooden dowel on the pulley bolt and the other end up to my ear. You could hear and feel the bearing buzzing through the dowel. A long screwdriver will also work. Best diagnostic tool is an engine stethoscope, if you've got access to one.
Thanks, hawk02. This is very helpful info.
2017 ZL1 Arctic Blue Metallic / 6MT / sunroof / NAV / PDR / RotoFab CAI + dry filter / Tony Mamo TB V1 / Skip Shift Eliminator / Hurst Short Throw Shifter / ZL1 floor mats / Dead Pedal cover (to match other pedals) / ARH Catless 1-7/8" headers + ARH X-pipe + AWE Touring Axle-Back / Diode Dynamic smoked side markers / American Authority tow hook
Agent K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:55 PM   #35
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Tara, I’d take it in again and have them check it. It shouldn’t be getting louder. You may have to push the issue if they say it’s normal.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 01:57 PM   #36
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Tara, I’d take it in again and have them check it. It shouldn’t be getting louder. You may have to push the issue if they say it’s normal.
Thanks! I've got time off over the holidays, so I'll try then.

Tara

Old 12-14-2018, 03:11 AM   #37
barnesbr

Well, I dropped her off Wednesday. I'm also having them look at the sway bar end links (for the second time) and they are going to do the TSB for the wire harness while it's there as well. They are super busy and probably won't have it ready until next week some time. I will report back when I hear something.
2018 Summit White ZL1, A10, Navi, LPO Carbon fuel door, LPO floor mats, Carbon hood scoop, Kooks LT’s, Lingenfeltor 720HP Kit, Roto-Fab CAI, 1LE tail lights/3rd brake light, tinted side markers, ZL1 addons lift pads, 15 % tint. 642HP/664TQ

Sold: 2010 RS, Auto, Cyber Grey Metallic, Leather, Navi, Sunroof, HUD.

Sold: 2012 1SS LS3 Vert, 6-speed Manual, Inferno Orange Metallic, Borla Catback, CAI intake, Skip shift eliminator.
Old 12-14-2018, 12:30 PM   #38
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Quote:
Well, I dropped her off Wednesday. I'm also having them look at the sway bar end links (for the second time) and they are going to do the TSB for the wire harness while it's there as well. They are super busy and probably won't have it ready until next week some time. I will report back when I hear something.
Good luck! I hope they get it back to you soon!

Tara

Old 12-15-2018, 01:56 AM   #39
barnesbr

Quote:
Good luck! I hope they get it back to you soon!

Tara
Thanks. Me too. Still haven’t heard anything
2018 Summit White ZL1, A10, Navi, LPO Carbon fuel door, LPO floor mats, Carbon hood scoop, Kooks LT’s, Lingenfeltor 720HP Kit, Roto-Fab CAI, 1LE tail lights/3rd brake light, tinted side markers, ZL1 addons lift pads, 15 % tint. 642HP/664TQ

Sold: 2010 RS, Auto, Cyber Grey Metallic, Leather, Navi, Sunroof, HUD.

Sold: 2012 1SS LS3 Vert, 6-speed Manual, Inferno Orange Metallic, Borla Catback, CAI intake, Skip shift eliminator.