Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Phastek Performance

Old 03-31-2021, 06:07 PM   #1
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
ZLE vs Z/28 vs ZR1 vs GT4 vs ZL1

So I've had my ZLE for a couple of weeks now. 1300 miles on the clock so I'm getting to the end of break in. I've read different things about the 1500 mile break in. One says no more than 4000 rpm until 500 miles and no tracking until 1500 miles? Another says no more than 4000 rpm until 1500 miles? I've kinda crossed the streams and took her to about 5000 rpm on this last drive. I'm kind of in between mild and wild right now......

Even with a few relatively mild, though spirited drives, I've developed what I think is a pretty good initial feel for this car compared to the others I listed, which were all of my previous cars.

First off the ZLE is a VERY fast car. Up there with my 09' ZR1. It's been a couple of years since owning the ZR1, which I think is still a slight bit faster in a straight line, but wow does the ZLE push you back in your seat.

GT4 is the most nimble of all the cars. Makes sense since it's the lightest by a good margin. Mid engine with telepathic handling. Not a "fast" car, but it does scoot when the revs are up.

Z/28 is the most raw most analog and in some ways the most fun car of all the cars I've owned, but the ZLE is making a claim to that crown with it's smile inducing acceleration on top of a very similar feeling to the Z/28. I really love the simplicity of the Z/28, I've said it numerous times. I wish the ZLE were so basic in some ways (I really wish the ZLE had manual seats).

The 2013 ZL1 I owned was just a great all around car. Jack of all trades. Fast and fun. Really not much to say about it. Did everything well.

The two best shifting cars are the ZLE and GT4. I thought the GT4 could never be matched but the ZLE transmission is absolute butter like the GT4! The Z/28 is right behind those two.

Gearing is a tie between all the Camaros. If I remember correctly they felt like they were all geared about the same. GT4 gearing is too tall. ZR1 was great too.

Overall performance there's no doubt the ZR1 and ZLE are on top. I haven't yet really wrung out the ZLE, but I can tell it's waiting to be unleashed. One thing I will say about the technically "slowest" cars of the bunch is that I actually liked that the Z/28 and GT4 could be wrung out without too much worry. I could turn everything off and I never ever felt like I was gonna lose control. I turned traction control completely off in the ZR1 one time.....once.....and almost went off the highway. I never did it again. Too much HP for the rear tires on a relatively light car. I've been driving around in Track mode in the ZLE (and what I think is another sublevel where you can select DRY, WET.....RACE, etc......I select RACE......it's a bit confusing). I feel like if I just floor it I could lose the rear with all that hp.

Handling overall in very close order I'd probably say: GT4, ZLE tie with Z/28, ZR1, ZL1.

Brakes, even though they are steel brakes.....I never thought I'd say this but I think the ZLE might have all those Carbon Ceramics beat, at least when it comes to feel. The ZLE brakes are fantastic!

I'm not gonna put the cars in order of my most favorite to least favorite. I really did love them all. The Z/28 was really a special car that I definitely miss the most, but they were all great for different reasons.

Those are just quick thoughts. Currently I'm enamored with the newness of the ZLE so I'm kinda biased. What I do know without a doubt is that I really do LOVE the car. I just got back from a drive in the mountains and I was just shaking my head and smiling the entire time. VERY happy I bought it!

Last edited by semif18; 03-31-2021 at 09:18 PM.
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:23 PM   #2
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Interesting assessment. I’ve got close friends with owners of all those, minus Z28. One friend owns both a C6 ZR1 and a ZLE. Biggest difference he cites between the two is the rigidity and turn-in of ZLE vs ZR1. Having seen the same ZR1 at Autocross, the throttle looks almost like a nuclear on/off button. Without TC engaged, the ZR1 appeared to be a lot to handle. The GT4 on the other hand is an Autocross machine. Seeing it in the hands of a capable driver is incredible. Telepathic handling is a good description.

I think the GT4 and ZLE are pretty well matched, with the ZLE making more power, and GT4 having better handling and traction; but they are both in the same ballpark in all areas.

The kicker for me is price. No matter how you slice it, the ZLE is a fantastic value in that it can hang with cars 2x-3x in purchase and lifecycle costs.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 06:30 PM   #3
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post
Interesting assessment. I’ve got close friends with owners of all those, minus Z28. One friend owns both a C6 ZR1 and a ZLE. Biggest difference he cites between the two is the rigidity and turn-in of ZLE vs ZR1. Having seen the same ZR1 at Autocross, the throttle looks almost like a nuclear on/off button. Without TC engaged, the ZR1 appeared to be a lot to handle. The GT4 on the other hand is an Autocross machine. Seeing it in the hands of a capable driver is incredible. Telepathic handling is a good description.

I think the GT4 and ZLE are pretty well matched, with the ZLE making more power, and GT4 having better handling and traction; but they are both in the same ballpark in all areas.

The kicker for me is price. No matter how you slice it, the ZLE is a fantastic value in that it can hang with cars 2x-3x in purchase and lifecycle costs.
I agree 100% about the value. I should have mentioned that. The ZLE is an unbelievable bargain for what you get. I don't think anything comes close for the price.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:32 PM   #4
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG1 View Post

One note about the GT4 vs ZLE. I just sold the GT4 to get the ZLE so it's very fresh in my mind. I think the ZLE will leave it behind depending on the road/track. While the GT4 does handle a bit better, the ZLE will walk away on any straight. But no doubt the GT4 is a fantastic machine.
Old 03-31-2021, 06:49 PM   #5
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
One note about the GT4 vs ZLE. I just sold the GT4 to get the ZLE so it's very fresh in my mind. I think the ZLE will leave it behind depending on the road/track. While the GT4 does handle a bit better, the ZLE will walk away on any straight. But no doubt the GT4 is a fantastic machine.
This is really helpful. I have been trying to decide on the next car for what feels like an eternity. (About a year.) Considering GT350, S197 GT500, 997 911 turbo, 991 or 992 911, the ZLE has been coming ahead by a long shot in my decision making. Your post is making my mind up even further. I am not considering any 2 seaters as I want to be able to take my 2 kids a long, at least while they are small and young.

About a year ago I sold my 2008 LS3 c6. That car was a lot of fun, had it for like 8 years. Would love a c6z or another corvette in general but really want a 4 seater. Had an 03 cobra (whipple, lots of mods) that was a lot of fun. Multiple other mustangs, and even a miata that I turbod. That was a super fun car actually.

Anyway, thanks for the post and your feedback. I think the ZLE will be perfect for me for what I am looking for, and will hopefully be a good platform to stick for a loooong time given where gas cars are headed in the next 10-15 years.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:22 PM   #6
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
This is really helpful. I have been trying to decide on the next car for what feels like an eternity. (About a year.) Considering GT350, S197 GT500, 997 911 turbo, 991 or 992 911, the ZLE has been coming ahead by a long shot in my decision making. Your post is making my mind up even further. I am not considering any 2 seaters as I want to be able to take my 2 kids a long, at least while they are small and young.

About a year ago I sold my 2008 LS3 c6. That car was a lot of fun, had it for like 8 years. Would love a c6z or another corvette in general but really want a 4 seater. Had an 03 cobra (whipple, lots of mods) that was a lot of fun. Multiple other mustangs, and even a miata that I turbod. That was a super fun car actually.

Anyway, thanks for the post and your feedback. I think the ZLE will be perfect for me for what I am looking for, and will hopefully be a good platform to stick for a loooong time given where gas cars are headed in the next 10-15 years.
I've got a buddy that has a GT350 (regular, not R). He went with us on a drive in the mountains. We ran pretty hard but not crazy. His car went into limp mode. Why Ford builds those cars with a "track pack" with the requisite cooling as an option is beyond me. His doesn't have the Track Pack he optioned for the technology package. They are supposed to be high performance Mustangs. I couldn't believe it. Of course my GT4 never got above normal operating temps.......ever! Having said that, I was VERY close to buying a 350R but the markup just rubbed me the wrong way and I passed. I'm glad I did. I really think I would have regretted not getting the ZLE.........
Old 03-31-2021, 07:24 PM   #7
semif18

One thing I will say that surprised me the most about the ZLE is how excellent the brakes are. I've been a carbon ceramic snob for a while. Started with the ZR1 then the Z/28 and then the GT4 (my GT4 was VERY nicely optioned with the carbon ceramics and light weight bucket seats). I was prepared for the ZLE to feel somehow weak or spongy. Wow, quite the opposite, as I mentioned in the first post, I believe these might be the best brakes of the lot. Who knew steel brakes could be so good!
Old 03-31-2021, 07:37 PM   #8
TWG1
TWG1

Drives: 2019 Camaro ZLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
One thing I will say that surprised me the most about the ZLE is how excellent the brakes are. I've been a carbon ceramic snob for a while. Started with the ZR1 then the Z/28 and then the GT4 (my GT4 was VERY nicely optioned with the carbon ceramics and light weight bucket seats). I was prepared for the ZLE to feel somehow weak or spongy. Wow, quite the opposite, as I mentioned in the first post, I believe these might be the best brakes of the lot. Who knew steel brakes could be so good!
Interesting you mention that. I agree, ZLE brakes are totally under-rated. Nobody talks about it because the focus is on the HP. The ZLE will outbrake most Vettes and Porsches on track. At a track like Sebring or Road Atlanta, it’s really noticeable. However, it severely loses ground to Porsches on corner exit, and on the straights if a ZR1. Nothing puts down the power like GT3/GT4’s on corner exit.
2021 F150 Powerboost (on order)
TWG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 07:41 PM   #9
Scottyz
2019 ZL1 1LE MY GOON

Drives: 1980 Z28 Big Red.
I really like reading these unbiased reviews from people who have owned the cars. They are all stellar machines.
Scottyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:26 PM   #10
Revalot

Drives: ZL1/1LE parts added
Location: Somewhere around Texas pines tress and smooth asphalt
I'm probably the only guy here who purchased a ZL1 as there 1st sports car, Here me out, I have ridden high horsepower sportbike for years, and dirt bikes also, I kept my cousin Z06 C6 for 4 days, about 580 hp rear wheel . When the 2018 ZL1 1LE was coming out, I researched all the cars I really liked, 2013-2014 GT500 a monster but live axle, No go, Gen 5 ZL1 580 hp, No non-forged motor, (Forgot the Z28, I like it the most, but no HUD, sort of stripped down, and hard to find, plus high$ It stood out but not enough)GT350 , brakes super sensitive I test drove one, plus the oil issues, over heating rear end, plus you haft to spin the rpms up, also seriously considered a C6 convertible anniversary with 427, No go. I thought if there is one car you could pick for a once in a lifetime car, the ZL1 is it, if there's one negative thing, it would be no port injectors. Brakes, motor/Z06 heart, center of gravity higher than a corvette , and the room for my 6'4 265 pound body wow !
And the rarity on the streets, plus it's now the leader of GM future cars(Who wants to pay 80-90k on a base C8?), Al did a remarkable job ! So at 50 years old the ZL1 will be the only sports car I need until I cant drive anymore ! Well done chevy, you created a benchmark that few will follow or even find.

Last edited by Revalot; 03-31-2021 at 08:42 PM.
Revalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:44 PM   #11
firstcamaroowner

Drives: Chevy Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post

I traded in my 997.2s for a 2018 ZLE. The ZLE feels special and I just love the power and how planted it is. However, my two girls were able to fit better in the 911 since they could slide their feet under the front seat. With the ZLE, their feet do not touch the ground so they are squished between the back of the front seat. Not that they complain about it of course. They just love that they can choose the color of the dash
firstcamaroowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:14 PM   #12
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyz View Post
I really like reading these unbiased reviews from people who have owned the cars. They are all stellar machines.
I like these types of threads too, which is why I thought I'd just throw it out there. I'm definitely not the "my most current car is the most awesome car in the universe" guy. I appreciate each car for what it is and feel very fortunate to have owned 5 really great cars.

I will say one thing.......and this is not insignificant. Every single car that I sold to get the next one I had a very visceral regret for a short period of time. I vividly remember the dude that drove my ZR1 away and having a physical reaction in my gut....."What the hell did I just do selling that car!" I did not have that feeling at all with the GT4 going to the ZLE. Don't get me wrong, I loved the GT4, really great car, but for some reason there was just no doubt about the ZLE. So far it's lived up to what I thought it would be.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:40 PM   #13
closs2sx

Drives: 1970 chevelle
For me the zl1 1le exhaust and the power compared to the gt4 is the reason there isn't a new gt4 in my driveway. The GT4 is an amazing car with great fit and finish but just doesn't get my blood pumping when you crank her up like the zl1 1le does plus there is the styling and I prefer the zl1 1le to the gt4. Now if they made the gt2 rs with a manual trans the zl1 1le would not be the favorite in my stable
Daytona Sunrise Orange Metallic
Dads Car
2013 ZL1 vin 963
Crystal Red Tint Coat/Black Wheels
Exposed Carbon Fiber Insert
6 Spd Manual

Last edited by closs2sx; 04-01-2021 at 10:19 AM.
closs2sx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 09:43 PM   #14
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstcamaroowner View Post
I traded in my 997.2s for a 2018 ZLE. The ZLE feels special and I just love the power and how planted it is. However, my two girls were able to fit better in the 911 since they could slide their feet under the front seat. With the ZLE, their feet do not touch the ground so they are squished between the back of the front seat. Not that they complain about it of course. They just love that they can choose the color of the dash
I think the 911 turbo would be the end of me because of how expensive it is to make power. The NA cars I think would not scratch my itch for enough power, honestly. Maybe if I had multiple sporty cars, I could get a 911s. I have always been more into well balanced cars (handling and power) but with A LOT of power. I enjoy at least a few track days a year, twisty roads on the weekends, and also fast at freeway speeds.

My kids are still super young 4 months and 20 months so I think eventually when they get too big to sit back there (in a carseat or not), I am not sure what I will do. I guess they can suffer in the back seat or take turns fighting over the front seat if they are big enough to ride up there lol. At the end of the day, the car is for me though - not getting a 4 door! I do hope my kids are into cars. My dad has never been into cars at all, that was kind of a bummer for me.
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote