Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 2016+ Camaro: 6th Gen Camaro general forum

AWE Tuning

Old 09-23-2020, 12:12 PM   #1
Camaro_QC

Drives: 08 Tiburon GS, 2018 Camaro 2.0T
Parking brake released by itself

Today, when I got back in my car, I started it and took my phone to set the music player.

Few seconds later I felt a little bump, and I was amazed to see I was moving forward (the parking has a little downslope).

Luckily for me no car in front.

I literally didn't touch the parking brake button. I tried to hit it as if I could have hit it with my elbow or whatever, but nothing. If I had touched it by mistake, it should have done nothing since I didn't have the foot on the brake (the car wouldn't haveoved in this case).

Tried to replicate the thing by starting the car and pressing on the brake pedal and do whatever could cause the problem, nothing.

Has anyone had the same issue? Kinda worried the parking brake would fail at any time.
1100 - 5/08/2018 | 3800 - 6/18/2018
2000 - 5/09/2018 | 4200 - 6/21/2018
3000 - 5/28/2018 | 5000 - 6/27/2018
6000 - 6/29/2018
Camaro_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #2
DaveC113

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showt...ht=hill+assist
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
UnknownJinX

Drives: 19 Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE Shock
Just a guess, but maybe you didn't engage it the last time you got out of the car? The car might have just been held still by the gearbox. When you started the car and put it in neutral, the car started rolling forward.

Used to happen to me at times in other cars, now I double check if the parking brake is engaged. Especially with these electric parking brake, you can never be too careful since you can't tell if it's been engaged unless you look at the light in the gauge cluster.

Sent from toaster or something

GM Performance Intake and that's it, because driver mods before car mods

Past:
2009 Mazda RX-8 GT M6 Velocity Red Mica (Sold)
2015 Chevrolet Corvette Z51 2LT M7 Velocity Yellow Tintcoat (Flood totaled)
UnknownJinX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:42 PM   #4
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
hate that electronic POS.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:02 PM   #5
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
That was one complaint of the Camaro that I had right away. Why did Chevy have to complicate a simple parking brake. I would probably go with the old school hand brake if it was an option.
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:11 PM   #6
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
That was one complaint of the Camaro that I had right away. Why did Chevy have to complicate a simple parking brake. I would probably go with the old school hand brake if it was an option.
Well, it does save up some interior room, which the Camaro lacks already, so there is that.

I just wish they have an indicator on the handbrake button itself so I can tell more easily if it's been engaged or not.

Past:
Old 09-23-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Drives: '20 2SS Convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Just a guess, but maybe you didn't engage it the last time you got out of the car? The car might have just been held still by the gearbox. When you started the car and put it in neutral, the car started rolling forward.

Used to happen to me at times in other cars, now I double check if the parking brake is engaged. Especially with these electric parking brake, you can never be too careful since you can't tell if it's been engaged unless you look at the light in the gauge cluster.

This is exactly what I was thinking. I have attempted to engage the brake and found that I actually did not. I would absolutely prefer a mechanical brake although I absolutely would not want it as a "pedal" as it is in my truck. With the M6, I use the brake quite a bit where in an automatic I do not. The mechanical brake arm is not only overall simpler to use but it also provides a visual indicator as to whether it has been engaged or not even when the car is off (you don't know the electronic version is engaged unless your dash is powered). But, I also understand that the mechanical arm version of a parking brake would result in a lot of lost space in all cars, including all of the A8/A10 versions of the car which are definitely the majority.
ember1205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:56 PM   #8
zaimer

Drives: 23 ZL1 6speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnknownJinX View Post
Well, it does save up some interior room, which the Camaro lacks already, so there is that.

I just wish they have an indicator on the handbrake button itself so I can tell more easily if it's been engaged or not.

True. Yes, it would be nice if there was more of an indication. I also don't like waiting for the brake to engage or release (or wait for the dash light anyway). The old school parking brake was a split second engage or release, and I knew exactly what was going on without looking. I mean, for pete's sake, I have to press 5 buttons - FIVE - to get my car going and that is if I don't touch the radio or climate controls!! .

BUTTON to unlock
BUTTON to start the car
BUTTON to switch into track mode (only mode my car sees)
BUTTON to engage rev match
BUTTON to disengage parking brake

NOWWWW we're ready to drive
zaimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:00 PM   #9
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaimer View Post
True. Yes, it would be nice if there was more of an indication. I also don't like waiting for the brake to engage or release (or wait for the dash light anyway). The old school parking brake was a split second engage or release, and I knew exactly what was going on without looking. I mean, for pete's sake, I have to press 5 buttons - FIVE - to get my car going and that is if I don't touch the radio or climate controls!! .

BUTTON to unlock
BUTTON to start the car
BUTTON to switch into track mode (only mode my car sees)
BUTTON to engage rev match
BUTTON to disengage parking brake

NOWWWW we're ready to drive
Unnecessary. Just drive away and it will release on its own. I just decreased your button pressing by 20%. You're welcome.
Old 09-23-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
WhiteMale

Drives: 23 ZL1 A10 Rapid Blue
Mine releases on driving attempt maybe 50% of the time. It's a nuisance factor and something I thought of when buying the car but it wasn't going to stop me either way.
WhiteMale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #11
UnknownJinX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ember1205 View Post
This is exactly what I was thinking. I have attempted to engage the brake and found that I actually did not. I would absolutely prefer a mechanical brake although I absolutely would not want it as a "pedal" as it is in my truck. With the M6, I use the brake quite a bit where in an automatic I do not. The mechanical brake arm is not only overall simpler to use but it also provides a visual indicator as to whether it has been engaged or not even when the car is off (you don't know the electronic version is engaged unless your dash is powered). But, I also understand that the mechanical arm version of a parking brake would result in a lot of lost space in all cars, including all of the A8/A10 versions of the car which are definitely the majority.
The thing is that if you flick the parking brake switch too quickly, it won't engage. You have to be a bit deliberate when you flick it. Probably some kind of safety feature so you won't accidentally engage it.

But yes, I would have preferred a mechanical parking brake where it's easy to see if it's engaged or not.

For people who go to tracks, the opposite of what OP described can happen. After a few laps, you don't want your parking brake to engage, or the brake pads can overheat and in some cases, burn the car down. You leave your car in gear and use wheel chocks to lock the car in place. Out of habit, though, you probably will engage the parking brake. Again, just takes time to raise the habit of double checking if the parking brake is in the state you want it to be in.

Oh, also, especially be careful if you have a 2.0T manual... The smaller displacement engine with lower compression ratio won't hold the car as well as bigger NA engines do if you don't engage your parking brake on a steeper hill. I recall there was a thread on the Accord forum where someone with a newer 2.0T manual Accord that rolled when parked in gear without parking brake engaged.

Past:

Last edited by UnknownJinX; 09-23-2020 at 02:56 PM.
Old 09-23-2020, 03:11 PM   #12
donaldp

Drives: 2017 Red Hot ZL1 M6
On 6 speed manual cars such as yours, the parking brake will release when you give it a little gas with the foot on the clutch. You do not need to tough the switch. Doesn't seem like this is your scenario but thought I'd mention it in case it was.
donaldp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:46 PM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by donaldp View Post
On 6 speed manual cars such as yours, the parking brake will release when you give it a little gas with the foot on the clutch. You do not need to tough the switch. Doesn't seem like this is your scenario but thought I'd mention it in case it was.
The way I'm reading the Owner Manual, you have to at least try to drive away, IOW let up on the clutch. That really doesn't sound like the way you should be treating your car's clutch, forcing it to work against even momentarily applied brakes. Not that the EPB itself should be subjected to the other side of that treatment (and there's a caution in the OM related to that).

I had an EPB on a different car. Didn't care for it for a number of reasons.

Norm
Old 09-23-2020, 04:01 PM   #14
ember1205
Hot Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The way I'm reading the Owner Manual, you have to at least try to drive away, IOW let up on the clutch. That really doesn't sound like the way you should be treating your car's clutch, forcing it to work against even momentarily applied brakes. Not that the EPB itself should be subjected to the other side of that treatment (and there's a caution in the OM related to that).

I had an EPB on a different car. Didn't care for it for a number of reasons.

Norm
The car has to be "trying to move" or it will not release. Your understanding is accurate.