Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 02-29-2020, 12:14 PM   #1
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Drives: ABM #93
Would you be scared to buy a tracked Z?

I’m seriously considering a Z for my self and letting my wife have my SS. That said I’ve seen there are some pretty decent deals around. To be clear I’m not at the point where I’m cash in hand but more testing the waters. If you guys that have these amazing beasts were in the market now would you buy one if you knew it had been on track? I don’t think it bothers me that much personally because that’s what they were made for but I’d love to hear some opinions on it.
ABM #2399 2SS/RS:SOLD
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
‘87 IROC-Z Iroc blue. all original unmolested with 50K miles.
Aqua Blue RS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:27 PM   #2
1970judge

Drives: 2015 Z/28, 2007 HHR
Nope. As long as the rotors/pads are in decent shape and have some life left, im all for it. Meaning, I would still buy one, just priced accordingly if I needed to replace the tires/pads/rotors etc shortly after, so work it into the price. Otherwise, no, most often people who track take good care of their stuff.
1970judge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:49 PM   #3
SS Performance

Drives: 02 Camaro B4C
I would not hesitate to buy a tracked car. Most of the people that track their cars are pretty good about doing the maintenance.

1969 Camaro SS
1970 Camaro SS
2002 Camaro B4C
2014 Camaro SS Dedicated Track Car
2015 Camaro 1SS 1LE
2008 HHR SS
1996 Silverado Crew Cab Long Bed Dual Rear Wheel
SS Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 01:23 PM   #4
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Good to know I was thinking exactly along these lines so far. Another question. I’ve seen a handful over the last 6 months or so in the low 30’s price wise with 40-50000 miles, is there a mileage limit on what you guys would buy given the brakes and tires and the over all car was in good shape?
ABM #93 2SS/RS Black Rally stripes, Titanium Interior 4,000 miles: GM GFX side skirts and diffuser waiting on paint, GM dovetail, GM heritage, RPI ZL1 style splitter.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:00 PM   #5
LateBrakeU2

Drives: 15 RH Z/28, 23 RB2SS1LE, 23LT1VOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
Good to know I was thinking exactly along these lines so far. Another question. I’ve seen a handful over the last 6 months or so in the low 30’s price wise with 40-50000 miles, is there a mileage limit on what you guys would buy given the brakes and tires and the over all car was in good shape?
All types of buyers for these, some pay up for cream puffs and some are price driven. Personally i don't track mine,so would rather pay the extra 10k up front for a very low mileage example vs one that has been enjoyed with high miles that is flirting with high dollar replacement items. A great deal is cool until you pop your motor and give that 10k right back... not that it's a given but certainly has to be considered if you don't know the cars history. How many times has it been overreved during it's track time? A seller is not going to know or disclose, especially if he's the fourth owner which is quite common at this point. My .02 only
LateBrakeU2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue RS/SS View Post
I’ll chime in on this since I was shopping and just picked one up the beginning of this year. I’m long winded, so I apologize.
I wanted 1 of 3 colors. SIM, AGM or RH. In that order. I found some with very low miles and high miles,2k to 50k. The price varied on mileage but not always, depending on other variables. I found some low mileage ones to be, what I describe as, put away and forgotten about. Whereas some where taken care of very well. I didn’t want to go as high mileage as I did but I found my first choice color and year. It was very well taken care of. The rotors are good on it and I really only had to change pads or chose to a bit early, could have gone 5k more pretty easily. I went stock and those run about $1k front & rear if you shop around. Everything else I’m doing or have done to it is all just OCD or knowledge from my other 14 Camaro or from other members experience, i.e. stainless flex brake lines. I had to get the engine dress up covers and I’ll need to remove the black hood stripes along with probably getting front bumper cover repainted to get rid of black headlight accents and this will also address the rock chips as well which I will get paint protection afterwards which the 1st owner chose not to do. I have all new GM front grill plastic/ flo tie grill just to get it all top notch. The 1st owner took really great care of it as my 14’ v6 has been garaged since getting it off dealer lot new and this Z is just as good in all aspects. As far as the engine and heads. I’ll need to dig into it further to know for sure. But the heads can go at 1 mile or last 100k+ from all my research. I will be at least keeping every piece I pull off to keep it with the car as original.
So I guess in my opinion, do your research with the help of great folks on this forumn, go look at cars and ask for many pictures. Bug the hell out of people selling them and buy what you feel comfortable getting.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
SIM GhostrdrZ

Drives: ‘14 Z/28 ‘14 ZL1 M6 vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by LateBrakeU2 View Post
All types of buyers for these, some pay up for cream puffs and some are price driven. Personally i don't track mine,so would rather pay the extra 10k up front for a very low mileage example vs one that has been enjoyed with high miles that is flirting with high dollar replacement items. A great deal is cool until you pop your motor and give that 10k right back... not that it's a given but certainly has to be considered if you don't know the cars history. How many times has it been overreved during it's track time? A seller is not going to know or disclose, especially if he's the fourth owner which is quite common at this point. My .02 only

Spot on. But I’ve known original owners with very low miles “pop” a motor. It’s covered by the warranty but it’s still not the original engine. May or may not matter. But your right on. I just didn’t want to pay sticker price for a 5 year old car with almost no miles that had sat, un pickled the entire time. For some, not me. I’ll spend the 10k to get some solid head work and such. It’s always a matter of managing risks. Like everything in life.
SIM GhostrdrZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 06:59 PM   #8
Aqua Blue RS/SS

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the input. Motors blowing aren’t much of a concern to me, I build them for a living. I’m equipped to deal with that situation. It can happen at 5,000 as easy as it can 200,000. Sure the way they get run and maintenance play a part in things but I’ve seen lots of times when they decide they are done, they decide they are done. Once again thanks to everyone for the insights so far, and I definitely love more if anyone wants to share.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:44 PM   #9
Supercup
Life Is Short Enjoy It!

Drives: Original Owner 15 Z/28 #934
Given your ability to work on motors, I would not hesitate to buy a car that had been tracked, subject to inspection of brake rotors which are expensive. I do like to track my cars when I can for fun - I have a AGM with 6k miles, been to the track 2 half days - about 40 laps in total (80 miles +/-) - changed all fluids at 1,500, then before first track event and after 2nd event as well. I have another event coming up in a few months.

So while I do put it on the track and drive it for fun, it is well cared for and not being abused.

Finding the right balance of miles, maintenance and track time will net you the best overall price/value. Find one you like from an owner who can prove up what they have done with receipts and then get an inspection or in your case inspect it yourself! After that drive and enjoy!!!
Supercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 05:55 PM   #10
ariZona28
Give speed a chance

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LS, 2015 Camaro Z/28
I myself wouldn't shy away from a track car if my intention was to MOD and/or race it. If I was going to use it as a weekend cruiser with occasional therapeutic trips to the exciting side of 6000 RPM I would opt for the lower mileage but slightly more expensive cream puff. When I was searching I drove a 4 owner AGM Z that had 17,000 miles on it. Well worn but not worn out by any means. I passed and for $4K more I found my current obsession with only 3600 single owner well cared for miles. IMO the time to get the low milers is now to take advantage of price and availability. The future will have plenty of 20K+ mile daily driver, hobby cars and track cars.
Attached Images

ariZona28 is offline   Reply With Quote