Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-01-2016, 11:10 PM   #1
2012OrangeVert

Drives: 2012 Orange 2SS/RS Convertible
Is a tune necessary with hi flow cats and a cold air intake?

I have a L99 and have put an LS3 catback with GMPP axle-back on it. Now I am adding a CAI cold air intake. I know I am good without a tune there. But if I add high flow cats to the mix, will I then need a tune? I know a tune would make it all better, but I have a lot of warranty left. Just contemplating things. I may even buy a handheld. But for now want to just consider the high flow cats as a possible stopping point until the extended warranty is up. Thanks for your help and input in advance!
2012OrangeVert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 11:20 PM   #2
JCunningham

Drives: 2017 2SS M6
hi flow cats will void the warranty any way. with out a tune you will get a check engine light.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
JCunningham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:07 AM   #3
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
I ran solo hi flow cats....cai and shorty headers for almost 2 years. No cel....I think the solos caused a cel on the 13 and newer models. You should be good with a 2012 I think. I don't think your warranty is void with hi flows.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:30 AM   #4
JCunningham

anything forward of the cat back voids the warranty. so cats or headers voids it.
real ZL1 wheels and brakes, 285/305 Michelin Pilot Super Sports, Pray ported Intake manifold, Soler Throttle Body, Rotofab intake, EFI Tuning Flex fuel kit, full American Racing Headers Exhaust, 1 7/8" w/ cats H pipe and mufflers. Full 1LE suspension, with BMR adjustable sway bars and links, GM aluminum cradle bushings, Hurst shifter with lighter reverse spring, TWM shifter knob, Tick level 1 transmission. I should have bought a ZL1
Old 09-02-2016, 08:02 AM   #5
Top Off

Drives: 2012 LS3 1SS/RS Vert
Depending on the high flow cats it should not throw a CEL. Simply adding even long tube headers does not automatically void the warranty either. Can the dealership or GM choose to void your warranty yes, but if you have the money for an attorney and want to fight it there are recourses they can take. Don't get me wrong, I fully believe if you are willing to play, you should be willing to pay.
Top Off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:01 AM   #6
frankwjr

Drives: 2010 SS 2SS M6
lol...magnuson..lol...

anyway everybody knows that the stock cats are the SOLE restriction in the stock exhausts, right? Get yourself some high flow catted mid pipes with the o2 bungs and swap out the stock cats...once you do it the process is so freakin easy its not funny.

Now get in touch with dynosteve(I do not get any $$ for this!) and he will create a tune for you..

So a tune plus high flow cat equals hmmm minimum 50 HP? Everybody chime in here..any other mods just keep pushing the RWHP on up...

Free benefit is your exhaust note will get all nasty raspy with decel pops like crazy I love it but to each his own.

Now the beauty of it is when emissions comes around either it will pass like it is if your state does not do a visual...if they do swap stock cats back in, put stock tune back on pass emissions and swap back

I am in MD using JBA shortys with ARH high flow cats and tune from Steve, this car is a freakin animal now, better gas mileage and overall the engine just feels BIGGER if you get my meaning

F. Weller

P.S. 5th gear going up the mountain 2 peeps in car looked down and 114!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! holy freakin mackerel watch out!!!!
Old 09-02-2016, 10:48 AM   #7
ForcFed93

Drives: 2001 2500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
anything forward of the cat back voids the warranty. so cats or headers voids it.
False, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure.

A tune would be easy to prove as you're changing the operating parameters of the whole system. Cats do nothing except increase flow.

Sure it would void the emissions warranty, but not the powertrain or bumper to bumper.

I have a 2014 and have SOLO's with the big daddy angled extenders and no CEL ever.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:18 AM   #8
2012OrangeVert

Ok getting some good info here. Thanks. I did not care about my exhaust warranty. Stock exhaust is gone anyway. So would the hi flow cats and cold air intake, REQUIRE a tune? I know it would benefit, that is not a question.
Old 09-02-2016, 11:20 AM   #9
1KillerSS
Too much is never enough!

Drives: AGP TT SS [COTW] 4/20/15
Send a message via Skype™ to 1KillerSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012OrangeVert View Post
I have a L99 and have put an LS3 catback with GMPP axle-back on it. Now I am adding a CAI cold air intake. I know I am good without a tune there. But if I add high flow cats to the mix, will I then need a tune? I know a tune would make it all better, but I have a lot of warranty left. Just contemplating things. I may even buy a handheld. But for now want to just consider the high flow cats as a possible stopping point until the extended warranty is up. Thanks for your help and input in advance!
Necessary? No. Optimum, yes. If you have to take the car in for warranty work, you can always put your old parts back on. Where as, if the car was tuned, even if you return it to stock, they can still tell it was tuned.

Yes they have to prove the failure caused by the mod, and it may be a PITA to get it sorted. But it usually only involves the district manager of GM.

It cracks me up when people talk of attorneys needed to get it worked out.
AGP TT kit, 54/57 Forged rotating assembly, Custom grind cam... Dual nozzle meth, ID850's, Livernois dual fuel pumps, ECS BAP, 25% UDP, 3 inch Magnaflow catback with X pipe, Mantic 9000 clutch, DSS 1000hp axles, DSS aluminum driveshaft, ZL1 rear end, solid subframe bushings, HE differential offset bushings, BMR Trailing arm, BMR toe rods, Lingenfelter LNC-2000,SJM Line Lock. 747 whp 714wtq

Build thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...55#post8107855
1KillerSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:56 AM   #10
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForcFed93 View Post
False, they have to prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure.

A tune would be easy to prove as you're changing the operating parameters of the whole system. Cats do nothing except increase flow.

Sure it would void the emissions warranty, but not the powertrain or bumper to bumper.

I have a 2014 and have SOLO's with the big daddy angled extenders and no CEL ever.
Further false, a local member here had his ENTIRE WARRANTY VOIDED because of a catch can install, GM refused to fix / replace his engine's issue due to the catch can. Oil pump ended up being the culprit, which GM couldn't prove.

They didn't care, GM turned around and said "Hey it's aftermarket, we're not responsible for your engine anymore."
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 01:03 PM   #11
JCunningham

gm has stated befor that a cat back is fine but you cant replace the cats unless they are direct replacements. GM will void the warranty. removing the factory cats is illegal. So you can go to court and prove that the cats didnt cause the problem but when the judge hears that you illegally modified your emissions system the judge will dismiss the case.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:57 PM   #12
pyroguy
Started#gottalovethatblue

Drives: ABM #831
No high flow cats do not require a tune. As you are well aware, they will be optimized with a tune.

As a personal opinion, get as much money back off of the extended warranty and void the hell out of any possible factory warranty you might have left, which can't be much at this point. Extended warranties are a rip off and these cars are proven to be very stout, well made cars.
'10 Camaro 2SS/RS | Aqua Blue #831 of 3,903 | Silver Stripes
Check out my build thread
pyroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 03:35 PM   #13
CreeperRS

Drives: 20’ Chevrolet Camaro 2SS 1LE
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmpsix View Post
Further false, a local member here had his ENTIRE WARRANTY VOIDED because of a catch can install, GM refused to fix / replace his engine's issue due to the catch can. Oil pump ended up being the culprit, which GM couldn't prove.

They didn't care, GM turned around and said "Hey it's aftermarket, we're not responsible for your engine anymore."
If you're dumb enough to show up at the dealership with a modded car, don't be surprised when they void your warranty! If you do, then you deserve to have your warranty voided! I was told, that if I have the Z/28 intake installed on my car here in California, then my warranty will be voided. Guess what intake the dealership sees when I show up for service? OEM, that's right. My warranty is still intact.
Old 09-02-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
2012OrangeVert

Ok. Sounds like I can do the cats. But. Return to the stock cats for any warranty work. No problema. What about if I just go in for an oil change? I bought it GM Certified, and they give me 2 years of free oil changes.