#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

Bigwormgraphix

Old 04-03-2021, 02:05 PM   #43
semif18

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ls_Camaro View Post
So I'm just curious would a 5th gen Z28 pretty much be comparable to a C6 LS3 stock for stock? Are they pretty much just as fast as eachother?
I drove a C6 LS3 Vette for a short period of time. It's been a while but I think performance wise the Z/28 was very close. Coolness factor was no contest, the Z/28 is by far a more badass car in my opinion!
semif18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 02:07 PM   #44
ZX-10R

Drives: 2019 ZL1 Riverside
Quote:
Originally Posted by semif18 View Post
Folks can correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think there are heat soak issues with the ZLE.
IC heat soak, not the engine
ZX-10R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 03:43 PM   #45
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
IC heat soak, not the engine
Ahhhhhhhhh, got it!
Old 04-03-2021, 05:22 PM   #46
waterman

Drives: Grandad's C2 L89
Interesting feedback and discussion. Subscribed.
Old 04-04-2021, 11:31 PM   #47
serper3

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Techdude99 View Post
@serper3 I have a couple friends that picked up 911's due to the back seats. They regretted it after putting in the baby seats. Very hard to maneuver.

I'm very happy with my ZL1 1LE on the track but it's impossible to drive on the roads where I live. If I had to do it over again, I would have picked up the non-1LE or moved somewhere that actually maintains the infrastructure or lost 50 lbs first

It's an amazing car for the price.
I realize the car seats will be a pain in any 2 door, but I don't have a choice really. And the kids will be in them a long time...

I test drove a ZLE and thought the suspension was not bad at all. I am pretty young, 33, though, and have had aggressive suspension on all of my cars, except for my recent c6. compared to after market coilovers, etc., the ZLE is pretty sweet. I also live in the bay area, CA, so the roads here are not too bad.

I think the values you guys are talking about seem kinda low on the p cars? used vs used, the p cars are way way more expense at least around here than what I am seeing on this thread. And what if that engine in the GT3 lets go? Or any somewhat serious repair on a porsche, pretty much starts with pull the engine. I love those cars, but dang the porsche tax is crazy. And not to get on a whole different topic, but then you get those porsche owners who will talk for 3 hours on what color stitching you should have gotten
serper3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 09:25 AM   #48
TheRealJA105

Drives: 2013 C6Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidRS View Post
^ A lot of the delta in laptimes between generations of cars can be explained by the progress made on the tyre front. Cup 2R's, Trofeo R's etc, are super sticky and designed to extract a few mega laps before their performance peters out. It would be interesting for example to stick some new tyres on a C6 Z06 and see how close it gets to a ZLE laptime.
This! Tire development has come a LONG WAY!

I will be comparing my new to me C6Z vs my old Callaway Camaro on the same tires this year. I expect to need multiple outings with the C6Z to get comfortable pushing it before I can really compare.
Old 04-05-2021, 01:28 PM   #49
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by serper3 View Post
Or any somewhat serious repair on a porsche, pretty much starts with pull the engine. I love those cars, but dang the porsche tax is crazy. And not to get on a whole different topic, but then you get those porsche owners who will talk for 3 hours on what color stitching you should have gotten
Yep, that's pretty much what has kept me away, impossible to work on yourself and don't want to get bent by dealers

The ZL1/E is actually a very good compromise muscle/sports car, it just doesn't have the status, but I never cared about that
Old 04-06-2021, 07:42 PM   #50
semif18

So I discovered something new today about my ZLE. I discovered the traction control is very effective and very aggressive. I am just about to 1500 miles so I said screw it and floored it. I think I was in 2nd gear, maybe third, damn now I can't exactly remember. I was in Track Mode, Sport 2. Going through about 5000 rpm I could feel the car suddenly and aggressively "throttle back" I guess is the best way to describe it. I was like WTF, then it dawned on me. "I think the traction control, even dialed back in Sport 2, is still gonna prevent wheel spin." I selected RACE and did the same thing.......it was less aggressive but definitely cut the engine as RPM spun up. It happened about the same RPM so I thought maybe it was an electronic limiter of some kind that kicked in until 1500 miles. Nope, I was able to gradually accelerate beyond 5k rpm. Coming from a GT4 with relatively low HP (385) and being able to turn everything completely off, floor it virtually anywhere and not worry about wheel spin..........and now going to this car made me realize there are issues with high HP cars that are only rear wheel drive. Kinda reminded of the ZR1. I liked feeling totally in control of the GT4. I'd be hesitant to turn absolutely everything off in this car. The Z/28 gave me the same confidence as the GT4 in terms of not feeling like I would overwhelm the tires. Well, I guess I have to relearn throttle control!
Old 04-06-2021, 09:35 PM   #51
semif18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zl1+911 View Post
The ZLE oem tires will get overwhelmed very very quickly - unless they are “warm” (check the menu). Once warm, they are near r compound tires. The car is very easy to drive at the limit once the tires are at temp - certainly much easier than my 997. Are you on OEM tires? We’re they warm?
I put new Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on all corners. Feel great. Grip is great. I drove them about 10 miles so they weren't totally warmed up.
Old 04-07-2021, 12:30 PM   #52
Guava

Drives: Colorado ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkmate1 View Post

The ZLE rights all of the wrongs of the C7 Z06 and then some.
Would love for you to expound on this. What are the "wrongs" of the C7Z?

I had a 2016 Z06 manual for 2 years, it was my DD. No track days.
I previously had a 2002 Z06 and 2006 Z06. For some reason, I never enjoyed the C7Z as much as the other 2 Z06s. My personal, non pro impression was that the C7Z was more numb compared to its predecessors. Also the AC didn't work as well, either. Maybe it was the supercharger, when it was hot out (100+) the AC air was not nearly as cold.

The relative numbness of the C7Z and its weight led me to get a Lotus Elise. Brilliant handling car, far from the fastest, but so enjoyable to drive in the canyon that is my commute road. I'm kinda going off on a tangent here, but since the C8 has no manual trans, I've given up on Corvette. My next purchase will most likely be the Lotus Evora 400 or Evora GT. IMO, it's the most analog modern car available today, with a stick.

Your enthusiasm (and OP's) with the ZLE has me curious. I like everything about it except the weight. I previously had a 1984 Z28 HO and 1997 Z28, so not unfamiliar with the F bodies.

Thanks,
Guava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 01:36 PM   #53
Checkmate1

Drives: Garnet Red / ZL1 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava View Post
Would love for you to expound on this. What are the "wrongs" of the C7Z?

I had a 2016 Z06 manual for 2 years, it was my DD. No track days.
I previously had a 2002 Z06 and 2006 Z06. For some reason, I never enjoyed the C7Z as much as the other 2 Z06s. My personal, non pro impression was that the C7Z was more numb compared to its predecessors. Also the AC didn't work as well, either. Maybe it was the supercharger, when it was hot out (100+) the AC air was not nearly as cold.

The relative numbness of the C7Z and its weight led me to get a Lotus Elise. Brilliant handling car, far from the fastest, but so enjoyable to drive in the canyon that is my commute road. I'm kinda going off on a tangent here, but since the C8 has no manual trans, I've given up on Corvette. My next purchase will most likely be the Lotus Evora 400 or Evora GT. IMO, it's the most analog modern car available today, with a stick.

Your enthusiasm (and OP's) with the ZLE has me curious. I like everything about it except the weight. I previously had a 1984 Z28 HO and 1997 Z28, so not unfamiliar with the F bodies.

Thanks,
The Z06 was always meant to be a hardcore streetable track car.

The C7 Z06 had many areas for improvement - chiefly cooling. It's no secret that it has a propensity to overheat on track. It has to do with a small frontal grill which does not help with cooling.

My car overheated on me at the track (driving the car at 4th and 5th gear and granny shifting was no fun). My oil temps were still kissing 300' on a day when ambient temps were 80'.

My biggest issue with the C7 Z06 was it simply did not put the power down (especially on tight back roads), the car was quite unstable even after I set the camber/caster correctly and also supplemented that with the DSC Sport Controller.

My drive to the Tail of the Dragon in the C7 Z06 left me cold and wanting more. There was simply no confidence in second gear turns.

The ZLE on the other hand has a chassis that begs to be driven and absolutely adores 2nd gear turns. It puts the power down beautifully with excellent driver feedback via the steering + transmission. I am always aware of what the front and rear end is doing on the car.

The C7 Z06 on the other hand was an expensive lesson (at least I didn't lose out on the trade). This is what happens when a rush job by the Corvette team on a shoe string R/D budget during the last financial crisis left a lot on the table.

The Alpha chassis Camaro 1LE is essentially the best Z06 today (with the LT4 motor) thanks to it's track day leaning calibration and build. And...oh...the back seats for this parent of a toddler + infant is a huge bonus!
Old 04-07-2021, 01:54 PM   #54
ZX-10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guava View Post
I've given up on Corvette. My next purchase will most likely be the Lotus Evora 400 or Evora GT. IMO, it's the most analog modern car available today, with a stick.
Aerial Atom 4?
Old 04-07-2021, 04:08 PM   #55
Guava

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX-10R View Post
Aerial Atom 4?
Haha, maybe I should add "daily drivable, comfortable for road trips" as well.
Old 04-07-2021, 04:12 PM   #56
Guava

Checkmate:
Thanks for taking the time.
You described my hesitancy about the C7Z perfectly. My commute road has many turns in the canyon, and more than once I didn't feel confident pushing the car through those corners in lower gears.