Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 LT1 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #29
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Congrats!! I'm done with subdivisions after we move out and downsize from this house. Been living in them since 1997. Sick and tired of the politics and whiny snowflake attitude. I'm surprised they didn't call on me as we have a shared alleyway behind our homes. (I had TSP 2" catted longtubes and NPP and it was quite a bit louder)
When I read $4000 including everything and a tune for a cam swap, my eyes got large! I know Pray charges about $2600 for a manual car, parts are about $1300 or so, tune $900. Lots of variables though like trunion upgrade, fasteners (Pray isn't an ARP fan), etc. There are people who do it with the engine in, some drop it out. Not sure if there's a price difference. Vengeance is definitely a premier shop, good job!!!!! Whose heads or who ported yours?
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #30
oldman

Drives: SS 6 speed of course
If sound is an issue: Borla 60608,twin resonators, then their X pipe and then either their quiet muffler S-type or go for a Corsa. I think that is all 2 and 3/4. I could be wrong on the Corsa. You would be leaving little or minimal HP on the table IMO of course.

IMO you are going to complaints for sure loud with the 3" flowmaster X to SS works muffler, both are know to be LOUD and you will be taking that sucker off and going with the above.

edit I just looked a Corsa and it is 2 and 3/4 but it does NOT look like they have a NPT muffler. So IMO it would be an S and build your own 2 and 3/4 system and select the 60608 resonator twins just to be sure. Functionally your car with the NPT closed is like my car stock non-NPT. With cam, heads, LT and cats the car can wake the dead. I could only imagine how loud it would be with a 3" setup and a know LOUD SS works rear muffler. I ran the SS Works stuff on my Challenger, great quality but it is loud PERIOD.

BTW QTP does not offer a NPT muffler but it does offer a manually ajustable muffler and it is the only 360 degree reverse flow muffler I know of for this car (unless you want to build your own). so with the valve closed the system should be pretty quite.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.

Last edited by oldman; 05-03-2020 at 11:34 AM.
oldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:57 AM   #31
Nummeister

Drives: 2019 Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Congrats!! I'm done with subdivisions after we move out and downsize from this house. Been living in them since 1997. Sick and tired of the politics and whiny snowflake attitude. I'm surprised they didn't call on me as we have a shared alleyway behind our homes. (I had TSP 2" catted longtubes and NPP and it was quite a bit louder)
When I read $4000 including everything and a tune for a cam swap, my eyes got large! I know Pray charges about $2600 for a manual car, parts are about $1300 or so, tune $900. Lots of variables though like trunion upgrade, fasteners (Pray isn't an ARP fan), etc. There are people who do it with the engine in, some drop it out. Not sure if there's a price difference. Vengeance is definitely a premier shop, good job!!!!! Whose heads or who ported yours?
Thank you! Heads from LME. I ended up doing trunion, lifters, pushrod, etc...and seems like every supporting parts known to mankind. Lol Definitely went way over my plan budget for sure. The funny thing is most of the time I don’t even drive fast! Lol.
Nummeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 12:04 PM   #32
Nummeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman View Post
If sound is an issue: Borla 60608,twin resonators, then their X pipe and then either their quiet muffler S-type or go for a Corsa. I think that is all 2 and 3/4. I could be wrong on the Corsa. You would be leaving little or minimal HP on the table IMO of course.

IMO you are going to complaints for sure loud with the 3" flowmaster X to SS works muffler, both are know to be LOUD and you will be taking that sucker off and going with the above.

edit I just looked a Corsa and it is 2 and 3/4 but it does NOT look like they have a NPT muffler. So IMO it would be an S and build your own 2 and 3/4 system and select the 60608 resonator twins just to be sure. Functionally your car with the NPT closed is like my car stock non-NPT. With cam, heads, LT and cats the car can wake the dead. I could only imagine how loud it would be with a 3" setup and a know LOUD SS works rear muffler. I ran the SS Works stuff on my Challenger, great quality but it is loud PERIOD.

BTW QTP does not offer a NPT muffler but it does offer a manually ajustable muffler and it is the only 360 degree reverse flow muffler I know of for this car (unless you want to build your own). so with the valve closed the system should be pretty quite.
Thank you! That was very I formative! I definitely do not want to go crazy and obnoxious! I just want the car to breathe and flow better. Since my next door neighbor is complaining and calling the cops on me I figure I minds well get the exhaust like I wanted in the first place but definitely not obnoxiously loud they call the National Guard on me!! Lol. I will look into what you recommended above. Thanks again!!
Old 05-03-2020, 01:01 PM   #33
oldman

You have to piece together the Borla 2 and 3/4 and buy the 60608 twin resonator separately. So you need the (twin tube, Xpipe with AFM valves, S muffler with NTP valves) all three parts come in a kit. Then you need the 60608 that replaces the twin tube above, there is no kit that comes with the 60608. Then you need if you want it to look all pretty the two pipes that connect to the aftermarket cats. If not the stock units work fine (that is what I'm using) between the aftermarket cat and the 60608. The Bola catalog sucks, so pay attention to the above exacally.

If you buy a complete Borla header back system it will be 3" and it will be a lot louder and offer minimal HP gains. IMO of course.
Forged short block, large duration sub .600 lift Cam Motion cam, 7200 RPM fuel cut, Pray Ported Heads, 3.85 pulley D1X, stage II intercooler, DSX secondary low side, DSX E85 sensor, Lingenfelter big bore 2.0 pump, ported front cats, 60608 Borla, LT4 injectors, ZL1 1LE driveshaft and Katech ported TB, ported MSD intake, BTR valvetrain, ARP studs, ProFlow valves, PS4 tires.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:39 PM   #34
Nummeister

Quote:
You have to piece together the Borla 2 and 3/4 and buy the 60608 twin resonator separately. So you need the (twin tube, Xpipe with AFM valves, S muffler with NTP valves) all three parts come in a kit. Then you need the 60608 that replaces the twin tube above, there is no kit that comes with the 60608. Then you need if you want it to look all pretty the two pipes that connect to the aftermarket cats. If not the stock units work fine (that is what I'm using) between the aftermarket cat and the 60608. The Bola catalog sucks, so pay attention to the above exacally.

If you buy a complete Borla header back system it will be 3" and it will be a lot louder and offer minimal HP gains. IMO of course.

I was looking at Borla full 3” header back system but didn’t see any have the NPP valve option. As I will need this for sure. Unless I’m overlooking it in their catalog?? By any chance you know the part# for this system? And I do not have the AFM valve since I have 6MT.
Old 05-03-2020, 05:34 PM   #35
Redlinez
Shifts under load

Drives: 2020 Camaro 1SS 1LE rally green
Nice heads. I noticed those definitely outflowed the PRC cast heads on the exhaust side considerably from low lift up.
Redlinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 11:29 PM   #36
Nummeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlinez View Post
Nice heads. I noticed those definitely outflowed the PRC cast heads on the exhaust side considerably from low lift up.
LME is really good. Def. worth the money. You can def. tell the difference between their ported heads and others out there.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:36 AM   #37
oldman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nummeister View Post
I was looking at Borla full 3” header back system but didn’t see any have the NPP valve option. As I will need this for sure. Unless I’m overlooking it in their catalog?? By any chance you know the part# for this system? And I do not have the AFM valve since I have 6MT.
I don't but you can order a full 3" with twin center resonators and NPT exhaust. IMO it will be too loud. The car does NOT need 3" exhaust with your build... and the minimal IMO power is not worth the increase sound level.

Put it this way say the 3" is worth 10 topend HP over the 2 and 3/4 (I don't think so but lets say), and the 2 and 3/4 with resonators will be stock or even quieter than stock cat back that you have. That is an awful lot of money to pay for 10 top end HP. Even the 2 and 3/4 if you ask me is worth say 5 to 7 HP over the stock cat back and we know how ugly the stock system is.

Maybe we should clarify, are you doing an exhaust from HP, if you are I think you will be disappointed. Are you doing it for a quality sound and a little HP and just because the stock cat back is SO ugly? In that case I'd go 2 and 3/4. If you are doing it because of HP, then my friend I'd just put QTP cutouts and that sucker is going to give you zero restriction and be as loud as your want, but quite otherwise.

If you just need to quite what you have down, we have near identical cars and builds, just put the Borla 60608 mid stream problem solved. Don't look under the car don't think about the crush sections. The factory X pipe BTW is actually a nice piece and as long as you don't look or remember how ugly the factory stuff is.... you will be super happy... Remember even the HIGH dollar Lingenfelter / Hennessy bulbs keep the factory cat back upto and over 1000 HP... I'm so lazy, I was going to slide hammer out the factory crush pipes and tig up the holes, but said nay, it ain't gonna give me any HP.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #38
Nummeister

Quote:
I don't but you can order a full 3" with twin center resonators and NPT exhaust. IMO it will be too loud. The car does NOT need 3" exhaust with your build... and the minimal IMO power is not worth the increase sound level.

Put it this way say the 3" is worth 10 topend HP over the 2 and 3/4 (I don't think so but lets say), and the 2 and 3/4 with resonators will be stock or even quieter than stock cat back that you have. That is an awful lot of money to pay for 10 top end HP. Even the 2 and 3/4 if you ask me is worth say 5 to 7 HP over the stock cat back and we know how ugly the stock system is.

Maybe we should clarify, are you doing an exhaust from HP, if you are I think you will be disappointed. Are you doing it for a quality sound and a little HP and just because the stock cat back is SO ugly? In that case I'd go 2 and 3/4. If you are doing it because of HP, then my friend I'd just put QTP cutouts and that sucker is going to give you zero restriction and be as loud as your want, but quite otherwise.

If you just need to quite what you have down, we have near identical cars and builds, just put the Borla 60608 mid stream problem solved. Don't look under the car don't think about the crush sections. The factory X pipe BTW is actually a nice piece and as long as you don't look or remember how ugly the factory stuff is.... you will be super happy... Remember even the HIGH dollar Lingenfelter / Hennessy bulbs keep the factory cat back upto and over 1000 HP... I'm so lazy, I was going to slide hammer out the factory crush pipes and tig up the holes, but said nay, it ain't gonna give me any HP.
I’m going for sound. As I understand it wouldn’t increase HP or too little to be noticeable. When I get on the gas mid way (not wot) it feels like the factory exhaust is restricting airflow. Makes the car sounds like is grasping for air. By the way I called Borla today and asked them about their S-type 3inch exhaust system part# 140726. I explained to him that on their website that system is made for ZL1 only. He stated that they don’t make a full 3inch for the SS. But he did mention that kit for the ZL1 does not have the AFM valve. Which I told him I don’t have the AFM valve since mine is a manual 1LE. He then stated that the exhaust system will fit my vehicle. From my understanding the ZL1 have the exact same exhaust system as the SS minus the AFM valve of course.
Old 05-04-2020, 08:10 PM   #39
supersportss

Drives: 2019 SS
5800 for a cam? Im in the wrong business, do it yourself what I'd do.
supersportss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 08:56 PM   #40
oldman

AFAIK the are two differences between the ZL1 and SS,
1) the tips are bigger on the ZL1
2) the driver's side cat has less to know crush bend at the 02 and is slightly longer (meaning that the inback of cat exhaust pipe on that side maybe slightly shorter), since it is a slip joint I don't know.

Neither would effect the fitment on a SS with LTs and aftermarket cats. I love the Borla sound. You may try it without the twin resonators which can always be added later. I would pick the quietest version muffler as you have NPT and can go loud when you want. I don't know that much about their 3" stuff though. Many vendors here can set you up for a good prices and support the forum at the same time.
Old 05-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #41
Nummeister

Quote:
AFAIK the are two differences between the ZL1 and SS,
1) the tips are bigger on the ZL1
2) the driver's side cat has less to know crush bend at the 02 and is slightly longer (meaning that the inback of cat exhaust pipe on that side maybe slightly shorter), since it is a slip joint I don't know.

Neither would effect the fitment on a SS with LTs and aftermarket cats. I love the Borla sound. You may try it without the twin resonators which can always be added later. I would pick the quietest version muffler as you have NPT and can go loud when you want. I don't know that much about their 3" stuff though. Many vendors here can set you up for a good prices and support the forum at the same time.
I’ll probably take your advice and do the resonator and axle back. By any chance you have a video of how your exhaust sounds like? I would def. like to hear before going through with the purchase. And thank you again for the advice!
Old 05-07-2020, 07:05 PM   #42
Nummeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersportss View Post
5800 for a cam? Im in the wrong business, do it yourself what I'd do.
Lol! Yeah quotes was all over the place but that was the highest. I can’t complain too much as I’m not inclined to do it myself. I’m just glad everything is all done and completed. Well except for the exhaust part.