Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 12-11-2018, 11:49 PM   #1
DANACO

Drives: 18 ZL1
Exhaust Question/Answer Request

I’ve been following(somewhat) the posts regarding aftermarket exhausts, it’s become confusing and complicated as to what’s what, for me at least.

My question, is there a system, secondary cats back that is the same or slightly louder than the stock system in track(open) that does not use the switching baffle system, has four tips that get equally dirty, has NO drone at any rpm like the factory system and no cutting or modification of the original system be it the exhaust or the secondary cats to install an after market one.

Thanks in advance if someone knows of a system than fits my wishes !
DANACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:05 AM   #2
777Jackpot777

Drives: 2018 ZL1, 2018 Tahoe RST Edition
Probably the Borla that’s the quiet one I’ve heard. I have an MBRP secondary cat back and it beastly, get thumbs up every time I drive the car now.

777Jackpot777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #3
Can'tHave2MuchHP

Drives: Fast
The only thing I could think for you is a Corsa cat-back with Sport mufflers. It’s going to be a lot louder than stock at cold start and WOT but very similar or even quieter at cruise and zero drone. I run the above with Xtreme mufflers and it’s awesome, however it is much louder than stock in WOT/Cold start/Idle and I’m not sure how much quieter the Sport will make it.

You could also consider adding a resonator or muffler to the Corsa/Borla X Pipe like other members have done. But this involves cutting. However it doesn’t effect stock parts at all.
Can'tHave2MuchHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Smokin19

Drives: 19' ZL1 A10, w/pdr
Have you tried pulling fuse #51 for the exhaust? Might be all you want, just saying.
BTR Stg II cam w/ 38% fuel lobe, ARH 2" headers into 3" w/cats, AWE Touring, Kong X port, Weapon X triple ht exchangers, NW 103, Rotofab big gulp, DSX lowside, TCM tune, BMR Lockout, Mustang dyno 720 rwhp, 634 rwtq on 93 pump.
Smokin19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 08:48 AM   #5
DANACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin15 View Post
Have you tried pulling fuse #51 for the exhaust? Might be all you want, just saying.
Thanks jackpot and Can’t have, good info and to the above, the 51 fuse is pulled and I like it a lot, I wouldn’t be adverse to a little bit louder at start up/ wot but not much more than stock as I have it. What really bothers me is only using two of the four tips for exhaust. Saving a little bit of weight would be nice too but not sure if that’s possible.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:53 AM   #6
DANACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tHave2MuchHP View Post
The only thing I could think for you is a Corsa cat-back with Sport mufflers. It’s going to be a lot louder than stock at cold start and WOT but very similar or even quieter at cruise and zero drone. I run the above with Xtreme mufflers and it’s awesome, however it is much louder than stock in WOT/Cold start/Idle and I’m not sure how much quieter the Sport will make it.

You could also consider adding a resonator or muffler to the Corsa/Borla X Pipe like other members have done. But this involves cutting. However it doesn’t effect stock parts at all.
Thanks, yes, my goal is to not cut the stock system so I can put it back on if needed for resale or trade in if that were to happen sometime.
Old 12-12-2018, 09:42 AM   #7
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
The AWE Touring catback resonated would probably make you pretty happy.

I went with the non-resonated because I wanted it a little louder.

Exhausts are pretty subjective though so I would compare some videos and/or try and hear them in person.

If you cut the stock exhaust you can still put it back on with some clamps, right?
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 10:38 AM   #8
DANACO

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
The AWE Touring catback resonated would probably make you pretty happy.

I went with the non-resonated because I wanted it a little louder.

Exhausts are pretty subjective though so I would compare some videos and/or try and hear them in person.

If you cut the stock exhaust you can still put it back on with some clamps, right?
I’m thinking the AWE you suggest is probably the best choice after discussing it with them this morning, just have to look under the mattress and see if there’s any cash left in there !

Yes you could certainly piece it back together, the beauty of welding !
Old 12-12-2018, 10:46 AM   #9
Josh/AWE

Drives: 1LE
Touring Edition CBE definitely sounds like it would be the proper dose of steel for you, Dan!
Josh/AWE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:36 PM   #10
Xlr8ion

Drives: 2013 Cayenne GTS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DANACO View Post
I’ve been following(somewhat) the posts regarding aftermarket exhausts, it’s become confusing and complicated as to what’s what, for me at least.

My question, is there a system, secondary cats back that is the same or slightly louder than the stock system in track(open) that does not use the switching baffle system, has four tips that get equally dirty, has NO drone at any rpm like the factory system and no cutting or modification of the original system be it the exhaust or the secondary cats to install an after market one.

Thanks in advance if someone knows of a system than fits my wishes !
Pull the FUSE why waste your money????
Xlr8ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 09:32 PM   #11
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8ion View Post
He says the fuse is already pulled.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #12
joe944

Drives: 18' A10 ZL1 , 18' F150, 04' MSM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlr8ion View Post
I honestly didn't notice any difference pulling the fuse.
joe944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 04:42 PM   #13
mdmoore23

Drives: 2017 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe944 View Post
I honestly didn't notice any difference pulling the fuse.
It definitely makes a difference but not enough. Your valves still close at times even in track mode. With the fuse pulled, they never close.
mdmoore23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #14
jvandy50

Drives: 18 ZL1-1LE, 10 JKU
Maybe check out the mbrp sport catback...but you’ll be cutting right after the secondary cats...i believe you’d cut with just an axle back too. For something that just bolts/clamps on you’ll lose the secondary cats(someone correct me if I’m wrong).

The valves STILL closing at times in track mode has me about to say F it and get an exhaust not using the valves. I cannot believe the driver/owner does not have complete control over that.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote