Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

AWE Tuning

Old 05-07-2020, 07:21 PM   #1
RapidRobbiesRS

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2.0T RS
Power upgrades...Where do I start?

This is a cut and past post from the "General Forum". Boy, asking a question in there gets you crucified for have a 4 cylinder.....

Hey! New to the forum, long time Camaro enthusiast. I'm probably gonna get alot of opinions on this one so here goes:

I'm looking to do some power upgrades and after a ton of research (here and on the web) I'm still at a loss of where to start. Guess the first thing to establish is the wanted end result. I know i can get 350 RWP out of this thing just not sure the best way to go about it. (i.e. different mod combos and the such) I am the second owner and as far as I can tell there are no mods done at all. Still stock. Although the exhaust sounds ALOT different than most of the 2.0's I see. I'm not sure what that is all about....? I do know it's not a down pipe upgrade. I also want better throttle response and a transmission that actually shifts when I use the paddles instead of that annoying lag.
Budget is not really an obstacle, but I will say that anything I do will not be done all at once.
Suggestions on what to do, what to start with and what to do moving forward after that?
RapidRobbiesRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:45 AM   #2
zedts1986

Drives: 2024 2SS 6MT
I'd start with opening up the turbo: high-flow air filter, high-flow intake tube, aftermarket downpipe. From there, I'd add the aftermarket recirc valve that JacFab came up with...BNR sells it now, I think. Those four things plus a tune will make it a whole new vehicle for not much of an investment. It'll have you blowing by V6s of all makes and the low-end V8 Dodges...

Old & Sold: 2019 Camaro 1LT M6, RaceChip GTS, RaceChip XLR, ZZP Catted downpipe, JacFab Boost-o-lator, K&N drop-in air filter, ZZP Intake Tube, PTP turbo blanket, NGK 6510s gapped at 0.022"

Motorcycle enthusiast
zedts1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 11:54 AM   #3
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
I'm only on a air intake and muffler delete. Next mod is injen intercooler piping and go about the exhaust. The intake did improve a bit of performance and noticed my boost reading on torque through intake psi is hitting 21.96 lbs.
Knockoff zl1 sideskirts, gm front chin spoiler, 1le blade spoiler, diode sides, 20" staggered Asanti black labels, azenis 510 245/40/20 fronts, goodrich comp sport 2s 275/35/20 rears, fifty brembos front, 13.6" slotted and drilled powerstop rotors
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
1. Catted Downpipe – ZZP, Mishimoto, BNR or aFe
2. aFe (or similar “K&N” style) OEM replacement air filter
3. Intake Tube - ZZP or Mishimoto
4. Larger 67mm Throttle Body - ZZP, RPM Motorsports or
soon to be released Solar Performance (I will be doing testing for them)
5. Hot & Cold Side Charge Pipes - Mishimoto or Injen
(you must have at least the cold side installed for the
larger 67mm Throttle Body. Also, don't be a cheap
ass and just buy the cold side "half pipe". Spend the
money and do it right. Get both the cold and hot side
together. *these will not work with the ZZP front
mounted Intercooler so decide first about what intercooler you want to go with
6. JacFab/BNR aftermarket Recirculation Valve (this will
throw a CEL. It's totally harmless though. Just
annoying having a CEL always on your dash. When
you finally get a tune it can be permanently disabled.
7. Intercooler - Mishimoto or ZZP front mount (comes w/own charge pipes)

8. Mishimoto Catch Cans (get both sides)
9. E85 kit (if that type of gas is available in your state)

Optional nice to haves but not totally necessary:

- Cat-Back or Axle Back Exhaust system. Too many to list here. IMO the full Mishimoto Cat-Back is hands down the best. Again, please don’t be a cheap ass here and do the dreaded “muffler delete”. I can’t stress to you enough how awful it sounds and the cabin drone is biblical. Just leave your suitcase muffler on if you can’t afford an exhaust.

- PTP Turbo Blanket and downpipe wrapping (how much heat does it really deflect?)

- MSD Blaster Ignition Coils (stock coils are actually really nice)

- “Better” Spark Plugs (the stock ones are perfect, don’t waste your money here unless you have to)

You are now at the tuning crossroads
IMO you only have 2 options here,
1. Get a tune with the stock turbo and all of the bolt-on’s above.
2. Get a tune with an upgraded turbo and all of the bolt-on’s above. If you go this route you have 4 options IMO.
1. Trifecta tune w/their own T40 stage 2 Turbo
2. Coopers Camaro tune w/Turbo Bay stage 2 Turbo
3. ZZP tune w/their own ZFR Turbo
4. Vermont tune w/their own stage 2 Turbo
ONLY USE THESE TUNERS: Trifecta, Coopers Camaro, Vermont or ZZP (I’m sure this going to hurt people’s feelings).
USE AT YOUR RISK: BNR (nonexistent customer service), RPM Motorsports (just no), and any garage that claims they know how to tune GM vehicles, your stoned want to be tuner friend and for god’s sake do not try to do it yourself unless you’re nuclear physicist from the star system 40 Eridani A like wook wook.

Also, the above list will safely net you around 340WHP and 390WTQ on 91or higher gas or around 350+WHP and 400WTQ on E85. Anything above that you are going to need to upgrade the rods, pistons, cams, springs, neutral balance shaft, fuel pumps, fuel injectors ect…
That is a whole nother ballgame.

RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 05-08-2020 at 10:51 PM.
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 06:05 PM   #5
BlacknRed1990

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT 2.0t A8
If you're going the remote tune route then I would go with Vermont Tuning's 390hp package if you have E85 in your area. If not then the bolt ons, turbo upgrade and tune that zed/stm listed above will get you there.
Current mods: GM performance catback exhaust - JMS PEDALMAX throttle controller - K&N Drop In Air Filter - ZZP Intake Tube - ZZP catted downpipe - ZZP Larger (67mm) throttle body - BNR recirculator valve - Mishimoto intercooler pipes - Mishimoto intercooler - PTP turbo blanket - ZZP flex fuel kit - ZZP big wheel turbo - RX billet stall converter

Flex fuel tuned by ZZP

Tires: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 245/40/20
Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II RunonFlat 245/50/18
BlacknRed1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:05 PM   #6
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Drives: 2017 NGM I4 1LT Coupe
Quote:
ONLY USE THESE TUNERS: Trifecta, Coopers Camaro, Vermont or ZZP (I’m sure this going to hurt people’s feelings).
USE AT YOUR RISK: BNR (nonexistent customer service), RPM Motorsports (just no), and any garage that claims they know how to tune GM vehicles, your stoned want to be tuner friend and for god’s sake do not try to do it yourself unless you’re nuclear physicist from the star system 40 Eridani A like wook wook.

Haha why you even recommend ZZP is beyond many of us. I'll agree to disagree with your assessment given my success with 2 local dyno tuners now being able to figure this platform out as well if not better then most companies and I have the #'s, mods and overall abuse to back that up.

Trifecta I still harbor issues with for good reason but your right when you suggest Vermont and cooper 100%

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Evil-Bee-NH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #7
18i4m6

Drives: 2018 I4 M6
Just wanted to add that I had a brief cel that went away quickly and hasn't come back yet (months) with the BNR valve and Mishi intake. No tune. I get my downpipe installed next week so hopefully my luck continues!

Tinted/blackout paint everywhere/debadged
Catted Mishimoto downpipe
Mishimoto CAI
MBRP V6 axleback exhaust
Jacfab/BNR Boostolator
Racechip RS
Firestone Firehawk Indy 500's

Onstar tracking removal - pending
18i4m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #8
RapidRobbiesRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil-Bee-NH View Post
Haha why you even recommend ZZP is beyond many of us. I'll agree to disagree with your assessment given my success with 2 local dyno tuners now being able to figure this platform out as well if not better then most companies and I have the #'s, mods and overall abuse to back that up.

Trifecta I still harbor issues with for good reason but your right when you suggest Vermont and cooper 100%
Does anyone have a website or contact info for Cooper? All Google comes up with is someones Facebook...?
Old 05-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #9
RapidRobbiesRS

Does anyone have some input on the Race Chips tuner and throttle controller combo? I see them both online for around $850 total.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:00 PM   #10
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRobbiesRS View Post
Does anyone have some input on the Race Chips tuner and throttle controller combo? I see them both online for around $850 total.
Don't do it. Waste of money that you'll end up replacing with a real tune anyway. Been saying that since day one even Wook came to the light.

MY 2017 I4 CAMARO BUILD JOURNAL | YOUTUBE | INSTAGRAM | 316RWHP - 385 RWTQ HPTUNERS DYNO TUNE | 12.693s @ 105MPH 1/4 Mile
Old 05-09-2020, 12:01 PM   #11
Evil-Bee-NH
603 Camaros

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapidRobbiesRS View Post
Does anyone have a website or contact info for Cooper? All Google comes up with is someones Facebook...?
That is Cooper he's not on here much anymore. He knows his stuff if your not going with a local dyno tune I'd use him.

Old 05-09-2020, 05:17 PM   #12
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
@ STM - I'm still blushing. Everything you listed is really all there is. Its just a matter of doing it.. Building definitely brings real satisfaction if you can do some yourself. I can speak for myself it was just trial by error and figuring it out as I went. It has been really fun. I am going to try and take it one step further and try and get a collective of tuning information for HPtuners type stuff. To kind of demystify the art and science of that. I know this is closely guarded territory so I will try and not ruffle too many feathers. But there is no reason if you are at all comfortable flashing your ecu you cant do a basic tune yourself.

Here: Tell me your Honest opinion of how bad an idea this is.

Name:  ltgweb.jpg
Views: 3579
Size:  115.7 KB

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #13
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Wook. I know you mean well, but there are some ABSURDLY smart guys here and elsewhere, even in this very thread, that should not be attempting PCM modifications,. there is a very adapt curve to this model. It may seem simple for you, its just not the case for the norm....

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 06:32 AM   #14
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I hear ya. I'm thinking that too. It would be up to the person to decide if they want to do it like in any endeavor. My thinking is if ppl who are thinking about it if you understand it will lead to more acceptance and more options. Because if the shops are getting bashed and ppl are afraid who are otherwise willing to do it or have it done for fee then it will open up more business. If I do a step by step it will be in a pay for download guide. I am just thinking that we would have a team of non affiliated tuners behind the scenes work on that.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote