Homepage Garage Wiki Register Members List Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Transmissions


JUICEDMOTORSPORTS


Post Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2020, 11:22 AM   #1
L78toLT1

 
L78toLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Ga
Posts: 842
Any downside to Hurst Short Throw Shifter?

Hey guys, at some point in the not too distant future, Iíll be installing my ZLE rear cradle bushings, and will probably throw on a Hurst short throw shifter while Iím at it since the car will already be in the air with the exhaust and possibly DS out of the way.
Iím slightly apprehensive about the shifter since I am completely satisfied with the stocker, however, I suppose thereís always room for improvement. I picked the Hurst new in the box from another member a while back and Iím sure I can re-sell it and get my money back if I decide not to install it.
Iíve read several favorable reports, which is encouraging, but Iím curious if anyone regrets going with the Hurst and if so, why?
__________________
Baby Blue
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels/6 piston Brembo's/GForce DS and axles/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/Pray ported TB/Magnuson Heartbeat with 85mm pulley/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/Skidmark Garage E85 Sensor/JRE Smooth Idle Cam/GPI piston/rod kit /APR main, head, balancer bolts/Kooks 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats/JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 02:38 PM   #2
mrgoodbytes
 
mrgoodbytes's Avatar
 
Drives: '18 2SS/EU (+Recaros) M6 Red Hot
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Sweden
Posts: 195
Sorry can’t comment on this. From what I’ve read, the install process seems to be the only downside. Although when you already have the car up on the lift and driveshaft and exhaust out of the way, I’d personally do it.

Looking forward to hear what other members who has actually done the install has to say.
mrgoodbytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 12:46 PM   #3
6spdhyperblue


 
Drives: 6spd
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: US
Posts: 2,321
I was satisfied with the oem shifter as well and was nervous to make a mistake. I got the hurst and my only regret was not doing it sooner
__________________
SS - DRs, mbo
1/4 11.10 @124
6spdhyperblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 10:59 AM   #4
L78toLT1

 
L78toLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Ga
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdhyperblue View Post
I was satisfied with the oem shifter as well and was nervous to make a mistake. I got the hurst and my only regret was not doing it sooner
Thanks for the info. I've gotten enough positive feedback to ease my mind about the shifter swap! Next time I jack the car, I'll be changing the oil, diff fluid, installing ZLE rear cradle bushings, and the Hurst shifter - it's such a pain in the ass to jack these cars, that I like to make the most of it every time I have her in the air!
__________________
Baby Blue
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels/6 piston Brembo's/GForce DS and axles/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/Pray ported TB/Magnuson Heartbeat with 85mm pulley/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/Skidmark Garage E85 Sensor/JRE Smooth Idle Cam/GPI piston/rod kit /APR main, head, balancer bolts/Kooks 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats/JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:56 PM   #5
Ventmaster


 
Ventmaster's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 1SS 6spd
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by L78toLT1 View Post
Thanks for the info. I've gotten enough positive feedback to ease my mind about the shifter swap! Next time I jack the car, I'll be changing the oil, diff fluid, installing ZLE rear cradle bushings, and the Hurst shifter - it's such a pain in the ass to jack these cars, that I like to make the most of it every time I have her in the air!
Amen!
Ventmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #6
L78toLT1

 
L78toLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Ga
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ventmaster View Post
Amen!
Added a couple more under-car mods to my list: 1LE sway bars and end links. Iíd have done the full FE4 kit if I wasnít nervous about how it would work without the MRC reflash which is not available on í16 models.
For anyone else interested in the sway bars, you can save quite a bit by ordering the parts separately. Gmpartsnow has the kit (part# 84401188) for $419.51, individual parts are $332.63. While the savings are significant for parts vs. kit, the real savings is in the shipping costs. $132 for the kit vs. $26 for the parts. Apparently, the kit is packaged together in a very large box.
GMpartsdirect has slightly better pricing, $388.88 for the kit, 313.54 for the parts, but the damn shipping is $215 for the kit and $64 for the parts. Iím sure the shipping will vary depending on location, but I would think the prices would be relative.
__________________
Baby Blue
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels/6 piston Brembo's/GForce DS and axles/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/Pray ported TB/Magnuson Heartbeat with 85mm pulley/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/Skidmark Garage E85 Sensor/JRE Smooth Idle Cam/GPI piston/rod kit /APR main, head, balancer bolts/Kooks 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats/JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:54 AM   #7
sschons74
 
sschons74's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro 1SS & 82 Silverado
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: VA
Posts: 264
I installed my Hurst shifter in July 2016 and I still love it. I did mine on jackstands. I thought hardest part was taking out the lock pins to remove stock shifter, they are spring loaded and hard to reach. I made a sharpie mark on the pin so I would know where the spring loaded barb was, so I could hold that down with small flat blade screwdriver to get it thru both bushings. I even had to get my Wife to help. I thought taking exhaust and driveshaft down was fairly simple compared to those darn little pins. But it is very worth it, nice short shifts that click in. Also need to take transmission cross-brace loose or down I don't remember, but the tranny needs to drop a bit for access. Instructions are pretty good. I noticed the shifter cost about $50 more now than when I bought it.
Attached Images
 
__________________
1SS Black on Black, M6
sschons74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 05:08 PM   #8
L78toLT1

 
L78toLT1's Avatar
 
Drives: Hyper Blue 2016 2SS 6M
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: North Ga
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by sschons74 View Post
I installed my Hurst shifter in July 2016 and I still love it. I did mine on jackstands. I thought hardest part was taking out the lock pins to remove stock shifter, they are spring loaded and hard to reach. I made a sharpie mark on the pin so I would know where the spring loaded barb was, so I could hold that down with small flat blade screwdriver to get it thru both bushings. I even had to get my Wife to help. I thought taking exhaust and driveshaft down was fairly simple compared to those darn little pins. But it is very worth it, nice short shifts that click in. Also need to take transmission cross-brace loose or down I don't remember, but the tranny needs to drop a bit for access. Instructions are pretty good. I noticed the shifter cost about $50 more now than when I bought it.
Thanks for the tips. I'll let everyone know how I make out probably won't get to it for a while as the rear sway bar is back ordered. I don't want to start until I have everything.

BTW, I see you're in VA. What part? I grew up in Chesterfield county.
__________________
Baby Blue
2016 Hyper Blue 2SS/6m/MRC/NPP/Silver Rally stripes/ZL1 wheels/6 piston Brembo's/GForce DS and axles/SEMA Grill/Rotofab dry/Pray ported TB/Magnuson Heartbeat with 85mm pulley/Full LT4 fuel system/JMS boost-a-pump/Skidmark Garage E85 Sensor/JRE Smooth Idle Cam/GPI piston/rod kit /APR main, head, balancer bolts/Kooks 1 7/8 headers with high flow cats/JRE remote tuned
L78toLT1 is online now   Reply With Quote
 
Post Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.