Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 03-15-2020, 12:27 PM   #1
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
need help understanding hptuners/terminology

Hello everyone,

I'm not completely new to DIY tuning. I had a OBD1 Honda with a swap and i had a chipped ECU, rom burner, ostrich emulator, WBO2 setup, a laptop to tune with and i used Uberdata and Crome (not the browser) both of which were similar to Hondata. With hptuners i can kinda guess what the stuff is but then there are things like "credits" that i think i know what they are for but i'm not 100% sure.

So say i have a hypothetical modding path. With the stuff listed in the sticky thread what all should i get as far as tuning software/hardware goes?

1) like my sig says car is 2.0 6spd. First round of mods lets say I/DP/E/IC. With those mods installed what should i do?

2) a few months/years later lets say that for the second round of mods i install a larger compressor wheel maybe machine out the housing like for the T40 trifecta mod and maybe also i install cams. So for these additional mods what do i do then?

My guess is that i have to get the MPVI2 which is used to flash the ECU (ECM?). Then i have to unlock the ECM. The TCM and T87A unlocks are only for auto tranny right? what i'm not sure about is how the credits have to do with any of that. It it just like store credits that i buy from the HP website and i buy as many as i want and use up X amount for the unlocks i need? and the credits are used for when you have to get the car tuned? what if i decide to self tune? do i need to go into the HP program or something and activate/use credits to be able to do a self tuning session? or are the credits only for shops that tune with the HP stuff?
Old 03-15-2020, 01:39 PM   #2
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShadow View Post

i have to get the MPVI2 which is used to flash the ECU (ECM?). Then i have to unlock the ECM. The TCM and T87A unlocks are only for auto tranny. It it just like store credits that i buy from the HP website and i buy as many as i want and use up X amount for the unlocks i need. the credits are used for when you have to get the car tuned. what if i decide to self tune? do i need to go into the HP program or something and activate/use credits to be able to do a self tuning session?

Yes, this is correct. Buy HPTuners MPVI2, the purchase the 4 credits necessary from HPTuners to unlock your PCM. At that point, you will be able to change the tune file, and write your PCM as many times as you like, for any changes you make in the future.

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #3
BlueShadow

Drives: 2019 Chevrolet Camaro 2.0T 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
Yes, this is correct. Buy HPTuners MPVI2, the purchase the 4 credits necessary from HPTuners to unlock your PCM. At that point, you will be able to change the tune file, and write your PCM as many times as you like, for any changes you make in the future.

outstanding thank you =)
Old 03-16-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
when you assign your credits to your car you get 1 master read/write and you have to continue to work from child edits to the original, for each key purchased. If you have an other person read your car they will have to use credits if they try to write that new file. Yes you can send your file to shops to edit for you. Other than that it is pain free once you navigate the setup. Second hurdle is setting up the channels for what is meaningful
charting, user math, and graphs. After that log alot and save them for referring to. Comparing your own history is all that really matters. Much of common knowledge is biased towards LS style tuning, and the LGT is a different platform, so there some more learning specific to the LTG to get through that's not publicly out there so much.

Edit,. You can start logging without using credits. Use it and learn up and buy the credits when your ready to write to the ecu.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106

Last edited by wookwook; 03-16-2020 at 08:32 AM.
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote