Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > I4 Turbo LTG Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Bigwormgraphix

Old 03-01-2020, 03:19 PM   #1
camex

Drives: Sold
Spark plug for 2016 turbo4

I want to replace spark plug, which one you guys commanded?
Mine completely stock and over 80,000 miles now.
Thanks for the help!
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:00 PM   #2
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Drives: 18 Flex Fuel LTG
I recommend NGK 6510's. They are one step cooler, and you can purchase them pre-gapped here : (I suggest .030 for your set up) https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-ngk-iridium-ix-spark-plugs-set-of-4?variant=15827352584255

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
cooper1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:55 PM   #3
camex

Drives: Sold
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I recommend NGK 6510's. They are one step cooler, and you can purchase them pre-gapped here : (I suggest .030 for your set up) https://whoosh-motorsports.myshopify.com/products/copy-of-ngk-iridium-ix-spark-plugs-set-of-4?variant=15827352584255

Oh, great.
Thanks a lot!
camex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 01:15 AM   #4
Start The Machine

Drives: 2016 M6 2.0T
Should I be running these plugs?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance
Start The Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:59 AM   #5
Davescamaro

Drives: Chevy camaro
I would tend to think that since its GM, it would use a
set of AC Delco iridium plugs. Or perhaps a 1 step cold plug?
Davescamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #6
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
Should I be running these plugs?

I would for sure, especially on your car. I would probably go .027 or so on yours. I'm kinda surprised you haven't already. You have all the other nice, quality stuff, and all the extra cooling bits..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 03-02-2020, 08:59 AM   #7
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by camex View Post
Oh, great.
Thanks a lot!
NP!!

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 03-02-2020, 10:54 PM   #8
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooper1965 View Post
I would for sure, especially on your car. I would probably go .027 or so on yours. I'm kinda surprised you haven't already. You have all the other nice, quality stuff, and all the extra cooling bits..
I really wasn't sure if I should have or not... I guess the general rule is one step colder for every 75-100 added HP over stock? I think I'm going to order a set and try it out.

Cooper,

Is there any performance gain from doing this?
RS Package, HD Cooling Package, Brembo 6 Piston Front Brakes, SRP Racing Pedals, Soler Performance Throttle Controller, Dyno Tuned by Trifecta, Velossa Tech Ram Air, Mishimoto Intake, aFe Air Filter, Mishimoto Charge Pipes, ZZP 67mm Throttle Body, Trifecta T40 Stage 2 Turbo, JacFab Recirculation Valve, PTP Turbo Blanket, ZZP Catted Downpipe, Mishimoto Pro Cat-Back Quad Tip Exhaust, Mishimoto Catch Cans, Mishimoto Coolant Reservoir Tank, GM SEMA Grill, Ikon Motorsports Front Fascia Extension, Ikon Motorsports 1LE Spoiler, American Authority ZL1 Side Skirts, AMPP Quad Tip Rear Valance

Last edited by Start The Machine; 03-03-2020 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-03-2020, 04:21 PM   #9
cooper1965
Coopers Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start The Machine View Post
I really wasn't sure if I should have or not... I guess the general rule is one step colder for every 75-100 added HP over stock? I think I'm going to order a set and try it out.

Cooper,

Is there any performance gain from doing this?

I'm not sure there is really a rule of thumb per say as far as the HP ratings. It's more about heat. Pre-ignition/spark knock/detonation prevention. More boost, hotter tune, equals more heat. So a cooler plug is recommended to help combat these. It is very cheap insurance for your engine. I personally have also seen a decent amount of tune/no tune cars drop an electrode on stock plugs. This OFC is not ideal. As far as performance gains, ahh, probably not, or very little..

---My Build Thread---
-----My IG PAGe-----
Old 03-12-2020, 05:39 PM   #10
jbmorris1987

Drives: 2017 2.0 summit white
Spark plugs

I just got my NGKs in the mail today. Has anyone added new coil packs along with these. I found some MSD upgrades but didn't know if they would be worth the 250 bucks. Thanks
jbmorris1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 10:55 PM   #11
Start The Machine

I wonder if there is any noticeable difference with these...

https://www.holley.com/products/igni...ls/parts/82384
Old 03-13-2020, 06:18 AM   #12
wookwook

Drives: 18 Camaro LS M6
I did the NGK cooler plugs when I was having issues with pinging (also called Knock Reduction or KR here) with the Race Chip in the hottest summer months. They helped a bit but did not eliminate the pinging. I tested over the counter ping reducer and that worked, but in the end it seemed like piling on band aides and was a major factor to decide to go the tuning route. I posted a rant somewhere on here about not being able to tune (i.e. warranty) for your local fuel, but water under that bridge. Never looked back. I'm back on OEM plugs, in the end you really want the biggest spark without KR.

NFG M6 2T
Mishimoto Hot side pie | ZZP Catted DP | KN Drop in | Borla - Sport Tour | Apex Arc 8 - square | Wookster Tuning+ | Flex Fuel

Last PB
4.8, 13.2@106
wookwook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 06:25 AM   #13
Start The Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wookwook View Post
I did the NGK cooler plugs when I was having issues with pinging (also called Knock Reduction or KR here) with the Race Chip in the hottest summer months. They helped a bit but did not eliminate the pinging. I tested over the counter ping reducer and that worked, but in the end it seemed like piling on band aides and was a major factor to decide to go the tuning route. I posted a rant somewhere on here about not being able to tune (i.e. warranty) for your local fuel, but water under that bridge. Never looked back. I'm back on OEM plugs, in the end you really want the biggest spark without KR.
Well said. The OEM plugs are already on the colder side and work perfectly. The stock coils are actually really well made as well.